Is I'm Breathless Technically a Studio Album?

eXtremeOccident

2 hours ago, me1981 said:

I think this still gels though. I got the feeling Madonna wanted her songs in the movie and Beatty didn't, so that still holds that she was writing with the hopes they would be in the film. I am guessing he never outright told her but instead just kept telling her the songs were not the right fit and she eventually gave up. 

That’s not how movies work.
The movies are planned scene by scene before filming and the score is commissioned in accordance to that. 
All the songs were recorded after the movie was filmed so there’s was no room to add them anywhere but on the end credits.

16 hours ago, eXtremeOccident said:

So, kinda out the loop here....forgive me if this has been confirmed somewhere before.

But is I'm Breathless technically considered a Madonna studio album? Sure, it has original songs on it, but it also was the soundtrack to a movie. Curious because of the album count included in the Warner announcement.

If any fans know what's up here, I'd love to know! 

The cover is not pretty and it is an extension of the film, so ... I decide not to consider it an album, for me it is an EP and it goes to the left of remixed and revisted, I rarely remember that exists

2 hours ago, Jet said:

Back in business isn’t in the movie…there is a song called back in business but it’s an entirely different song ?

EDIT: just checked and you’re correct. The scene I was thinking of has the other back in business.

So it’s 3 soundtrack songs out of 12. 5 included in Blond Ambition. Definitely a studio album.

10 hours ago, Shoful said:

Lady Gaga made a side project with Tony Bennett and has her own Jazz concert for it. Doesn’t make it a studio album. No one would consider it a Gaga album. 

Yes but there must be insiders who know more of the scoop!!

Lady Gaga’s album is a duet album and it’s all covers.

This is mostly a solo project containing 3 soundtrack songs and 9 original songs

8 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

The movies are planned scene by scene before filming and the score is commissioned in accordance to that. 
All the songs were recorded after the movie was filmed so there’s was no room to add them anywhere but on the end credits.

We don't know what the original script was and what was cut from the film, there may have been room for a song or two and that was what she was hoping for, a song over a montage or over a scene that got scrapped. Maybe Breathless was featured more and Madonna had hoped for a song playing during one of her scenes, or was hoping to convince Warren to use it somewhere.

Just because he had it all planned out, doesn't mean she wasn't hopeful for use of her songs in the film. It does happen. During editing many times things change and it can result in needing a piece of music that you didn't think you needed in pre-production. Post-production can change many things, many films are often different from pre to post production for a variety of reasons.

As much planning as occurs in films, there is also fluidity at times too. I agree Warren isn't really like that, but  when has that stopped Madonna from trying to get what she wants.

In other words I disagree that she lied. She may have been hopeful for things that were never going to happen, but I believe she believed she had a shot at getting a song or two in the film. 

Also who's to say that when she signed her deal, part of that was Warren agreeing that he would consider one or two of her songs over scenes, even if he had mapped those out with Sondheim already. 

9 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Oh if you are talking about an instrumental score, you are very wrong. Composers are generally hired after a film is completed and score the movie over a rough cut or often completed cut. it is the last thing to be added, not the first. John Williams was pissed at Dick Donner because he scored the movie when it was supposed to be 3 hrs but then Donner was forced to cut it down more and he lost much of Williams score.

No one ever scores a movie before it is made. You can't score a film when it is simply a script, even if you have ideas and plans and plasn change, scenes get scrapped/merged/end up on the cutting room floor. You can map things but you shouldn't build a film around it or the score around an unmade film.

Okay except Hans Zimmer and Chris Nolan

9 minutes ago, realityisalways said:

So it's a Studio Album, glad we've reached consensus.

Hell Yeah Dancing GIF by collin

Does that mean the official Dick Tracy Soundtrack is a studio album? Since half those songs don't even appear in the film?

Lol. I don't think it matters. I still include it as a studio album. Even though M's numbers from the film only appear on I'm Breathless and many tracks not in the film are on the official soundtrack, haha. Both are a hybrid but I'm Breathless is all Madonna and sounds like a studio album, so that's enough for me. 

1 hour ago, me1981 said:

Oh if you are talking about an instrumental score, you are very wrong. Composers are generally hired after a film is completed and score the movie over a rough cut or often completed cut. it is the last thing to be added, not the first. John Williams was pissed at Dick Donner because he scored the movie when it was supposed to be 3 hrs but then Donner was forced to cut it down more and he lost much of Williams score.

No one ever scores a movie before it is made. You can't score a film when it is simply a script, even if you have ideas and plans and plasn change, scenes get scrapped/merged/end up on the cutting room floor. You can map things but you shouldn't build a film around it or the score around an unmade film.

Okay except Hans Zimmer and Chris Nolan

I didn’t say the score is recorded before. But planned. The composers are commissioned before production starts and they agree on what’s needed based on the storyboards.

The songs performed by Madonna in Dick Tracy were created before since they needed to film her scenes singing them.

Sondheim worked on the demos and washed his hands off the project. The final version and the remaining 9 songs she recorded with her own team after the filming was done and Warner footed the bill, just like with any other studio album 

34 minutes ago, me1981 said:

Does that mean the official Dick Tracy Soundtrack is a studio album? Since half those songs don't even appear in the film?

Lol. I don't think it matters. I still include it as a studio album. Even though M's numbers from the film only appear on I'm Breathless and many tracks not in the film are on the official soundtrack, haha. Both are a hybrid but I'm Breathless is all Madonna and sounds like a studio album, so that's enough for me. 

I think people often get thrown off by the fact that the Breathless persona was actually brought to life in a movie.

A lot of her albums are based around a persona, but it was not as obviously portrayed. True Blue, LAP, Erotica, ROL, Confessions, Hard Candy… They’re all approached in character like I’m Breathless.

I have always considered it a studio album, I even mentioned this in a different thread. I know it says "from and inspired by the film Dick Tracy", but there were also 2 other albums from this movie which i consider the real soundtrack and score from the film. I just feel I'm Breathless is a studio concept album from Madonna, but definitely a studio album. The songs inspired from the film didn't need to be made, she wanted to, and they're great. After all, it doesn't say "original motion picture soundtrack" anywhere on the album like it does for WTG.

Madonna had written a song called "Back in Business" for the montage sequence which followed the incarceration of Dick Tracy (when all the crooks come out and take over the city). However, no one was pleased with it and Beatty, with the pressure of a screening a month away, prevailed on Sondheim to write a new "Back in Business".

http://www.sondheim.com/works/dick_tracy/

The soundtrack for Dick Tracy became a nightmare the moment Beatty conceived of the film as a musical. He was so entranced with the 1930's romantic element that he hired veteran stage composer Stephen Sondheim to write five songs for the picture, some of which performed by Madonna in source-like settings. Beatty also asked Sondheim to write the score for the picture, which was a fitting request given that several of the songs in the movie are used for otherwise sound-less montages. Not surprisingly, Sondheim declined to write the score, so the actor/director turned to a composer who would essentially tackle the same task on 2002's ultra-popular Chicago: Danny Elfman.

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/dick_tracy.html

I think to me it's more about the intention behind the album. Would we get it had it not been attached to the movie? No, the sole existence of "I'm Breathless" is to accompany Dick Tracy. Therefore I've never seen it as one of Madonna's studio albums. I don't see why this distinction is that important really. Either way, it's flawless :).

18 hours ago, me1981 said:

D_NQ_NP_947902-MLM25602275147_052017-O.j

Tupac Shakur Dancing GIF