Is I'm Breathless Technically a Studio Album?

eXtremeOccident

2 hours ago, Material Girl said:

R-299119-1609495814-8444.jpeg.jpg

"From the Sire/Warner Bros. ALBUM I'M BREATHLESS"

:Madonna003:

Yes, it's obviously an album (as apposed to a single), because it has 12 songs on it. It's just not a studio album. 

Why people still argue this is beyond me. Warner and Madonna both don't consider this a studio album and it was left out of the Complete Studio Album collection. It's. Just. Not. Just let it go already. You can consider it a studio album all you want, just accept the fact that it isn't officially. 

6 hours ago, Andreo said:

Studio album or soundtrack, whatever, I'm just happy to see fans praising I'm Breathless, it's such an unique part of her discography and deserves much more attention for that! Back in Business is THAT bitch, I'm surprised she never performed it! 

Yes! I think we all agree on this. ❤

This is a studio album. It’s only been over the last 10 or so years that people have been thinking that it’s a soundtrack.

I guess it’s the new fans that weren’t alive when it came out and was clearly promoted and marketed as a Madonna album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a WR/SIRE  ad on Billboard Magazine on IB (May 1990):

"Madonna sings Breathless. Madonna sings Sondheim. Madonna sings Herself.

The movie event of the year now comes to life on an album of astonishing virtuosity. A multi-platinum star breathes new excitement into an entire genre and proves, once again, there is nothing under the sun she cannot call her own. "

I wouldn't wanna ruin her perfect roll of True Blue- Like A Prayer- Erotica so I don't take I'm Breathless into consideration.

I mean, for some mediocre artists with counted hits of course it would matter much in their discography- as a studio album- but with Madonna we can just afford to place it in some other category. A studio album must be reflective of an artist's life.

34 minutes ago, Jet said:

Aren’t all the songs in the film though?

Not all of them, they wanted him to use some of his tracks and he made some for the movie and some inspired by it, the cover is Batman logo. However the soundtrack is Danny Elfmans.

I think the real reason here for the distinction comes from rights and distribution. Warren Beatty has rights to the movie and components, so Disney, Warner etc..In the same way that Prince wasn't allowed to use the music he did on his Batman album for his own promotion and compilations. And knowing the bad beef between Warren and Madonna when they broke up, he wanted to sue her for being in the movie and all.

I think Warner and Madonna decided to sweep drama under the rug making it a soundtrack and don't have to include it in any compilations or official stuff. Apart from Vogue that stands as single alone and has not link with Dick Tracy.

1 hour ago, Blue Prince said:

I wouldn't wanna ruin her perfect roll of True Blue- Like A Prayer- Erotica so I don't take I'm Breathless into consideration.

I mean, for some mediocre artists with counted hits of course it would matter much in their discography- as a studio album- but with Madonna we can just afford to place it in some other category. A studio album must be reflective of an artist's life.

But I'm Breathless easily belongs to the category of untouchables in  Madonna's album list.....

Different does not mean less quality or importance

16 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

Why people still argue this is beyond me. Warner and Madonna both don't consider this a studio album and it was left out of the Complete Studio Album collection. It's. Just. Not. Just let it go already. You can consider it a studio album all you want, just accept the fact that it isn't officially. 

It was considered a studio album for a long time. But why deny it? Especially as a fan?

15 albums sounds more impressive than 14.

Embrace it! I’m Breathless is a FABULOUS album!

12 minutes ago, deathproof said:

It was considered a studio album for a long time. But why deny it? Especially as a fan?

15 albums sounds more impressive than 14.

Embrace it! I’m Breathless is a FABULOUS album!

It may have been considered a studio album in the past (I don't know this), but it isn't now. I'm not denying it, I'm just accepting Madonna's vision and Warner's, without forcing my wishful thinking. We will have the 15th album soon enough, and the number of albums really makes no difference whatsoever to me

39 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

and the number of albums really makes no difference whatsoever to me

But it should!

Madonna

Like a Virgin

True Blue

Like a Prayer

Im Breathless

Erotica

Bedtime Stories

Evita

Ray of Light

Music

American Life

Confessions on a Dance Floor

Hard Candy

MDNA

Rebel Heart

Madame X

WOW! BREATHTAKING! I almost cried just typing all that out.

That is Madonna. All of that. That’s what makes her up.

Her body of work is so powerful and beautiful. Let’s not swipe anything under the rug anymore.

Appreciate and love it all!

on the subject of "I'm Breathless", this Rolling Stone article revisiting it gathers details about what surrounded its making and quotes from interviews of the era, it's quite complete and well written: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/madonna-dick-tracy-im-breathless-vogue-1005083/

if the site asks you to subscribe to read it in full, just refresh it and it should appear with no restriction.

5 hours ago, desperateK said:

on the subject of "I'm Breathless", this Rolling Stone article revisiting it gathers details about what surrounded its making and quotes from interviews of the era, it's quite complete and well written: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/madonna-dick-tracy-im-breathless-vogue-1005083/

if the site asks you to subscribe to read it in full, just refresh it and it should appear with no restriction.

Thank you. Need to dig in a bit more to Rolling Stone and read more articles about Madonna. Meanwhile I'm off to listen to I'm Breathless.

12 hours ago, deathproof said:

But it should!

Madonna

Like a Virgin

True Blue

Like a Prayer

Im Breathless

Erotica

Bedtime Stories

Evita

Ray of Light

Music

American Life

Confessions on a Dance Floor

Hard Candy

MDNA

Rebel Heart

Madame X

WOW! BREATHTAKING! I almost cried just typing all that out.

That is Madonna. All of that. That’s what makes her up.

Her body of work is so powerful and beautiful. Let’s not swipe anything under the rug anymore.

Appreciate and love it all!

We couldn't get to defiant Dita without going through sultry Breathless