This Used To Be My Playground

Luiz Ribeiro

At least in Spain it was a hit... That summer was played a lot in the radio. I remember a lot of people saying it was a clue of how her next album was going to sound... 

Anyway, I have to admit that it was a success here but I've never heard it again on the radios and people doesn't remember it... the same happens with "I'll remember".

1 hour ago, Luiz Ribeiro said:

And how can "Rain" not be a hit song? What happened to you?

In the video, 4 minutes kicks Give it To Me ass......

I’m not very knowledgeable about charts but I think Rain was a pretty big outside the US. I remember during the summer of 1993 it was constantly on MTV Europe.

In US it flopped because the GP was rejecting her after Sex and  Body Of Evidence. Regardless of how good the music was

46 minutes ago, Andreo said:

God knows why she keeps acting like this song doesn't exist in her discography

I know why she won’t perform it. She could barely remember the words to Material Girl on the RIT :Madonna017:. TUTBMP is a thousand minutes long she wouldn’t remember the 6th verse bahahaha. But I love it so

1 minute ago, Andymad said:

I know why she won’t perform it. She could barely remember the words to Material Girl on the RIT :Madonna017:. TUTBMP is a thousand minutes long she wouldn’t remember the 6th verse bahahaha. But I love it so

Yeah but repeating the lyrics a few times the night before wouldn't hurt her big fat ass lolololol

If I could study more chapters before exams at the very last minute, bitch can surely repeat the chorus of one of her 12 USA #1 hits :rainbow:

5 hours ago, Andreo said:

Also I've never heard it here in Italy, until two days ago when my friend told she heard it on the radio (and they played a remix of it)! 

It was really played a lot in Italy back then and it was a hit. people adored her in that period: try to imagine, it was her comeback after Vogue, Blond Ambition, Juastify my love and Truth or Dare, waiting for the announced release of her new album (almost four years were passed since her last studio album). It was the theme song of the Olympic games too, if I remember correctly, the track was all over, radio, tv, cinema (cause first of all it was the soundtrack of A league of their own, one of her most succesful movies).

I think it's hard to understand the proportions of the 80s 90s stardom, compared to the kind of charisma and media comunication popstars have nowadays. My idea is that social networks changed a lot in the game, moving artists quite closerr to their audience, and I think people went tired of the huge, dinstant and arrogant star rethoric wich made Madonna or MJ such idols (the same happened with top models). She even snubbed TV in the 80s, her appearence were so rare and publicized that easily became events: imagine the launch of a new single.

Anyway, back to the track, I think it's such a beautiful, intimate and underrated song, it's one of those tracks wich really shows her interpreting talent: the malincholic tone of her voice, the dramatic effect of the vocal interlacing, the strings interlude :broken: Unfortunately she never considered it again and it got lost, it definitely cannot be considered one of her classics nowadays.

I remember TUTBMP, I'll Remember, and Rain getting constant radio play here in the US. I would have guessed they were all big hits as they were constantly played on radio, with the videos in constant rotation on TV. M's ballads were huge in the early 90s. And then, little did we know what was coming with something like Take A Bow. :Madonna004:

5 hours ago, stefo said:

It was really played a lot in Italy back then and it was a hit. people adored her in that period: try to imagine, it was her comeback after Vogue, Blond Ambition, Juastify my love and Truth or Dare, waiting for the announced release of her new album (almost four years were passed since her last studio album). It was the theme song of the Olympic games too, if I remember correctly, the track was all over, radio, tv, cinema (cause first of all it was the soundtrack of A league of their own, one of her most succesful movies).

I think it's hard to understand the proportions of the 80s 90s stardom, compared to the kind of charisma and media comunication popstars have nowadays. My idea is that social networks changed a lot in the game, moving artists quite closerr to their audience, and I think people went tired of the huge, dinstant and arrogant star rethoric wich made Madonna or MJ such idols (the same happened with top models). She even snubbed TV in the 80s, her appearence were so rare and publicized that easily became events: imagine the launch of a new single.

Anyway, back to the track, I think it's such a beautiful, intimate and underrated song, it's one of those tracks wich really shows her interpreting talent: the malincholic tone of her voice, the dramatic effect of the vocal interlacing, the strings interlude :broken: Unfortunately she never considered it again and it got lost, it definitely cannot be considered one of her classics nowadays.

It's one of my favorite songs ever, I'm happy to know it was a smash in Italy as well! I wish she could give this song the attention it deserves, I'm sure it will be in a definitive hits compilation sooner or later 

It was definitely a huge hit. Apart from radio play, I also remember numerous articles in European music press of the day (Bravo, Popcorn) with stills from the video about how Madonna was toning her image down because she knows she went too far with Justify My Love and Truth or Dare. Little did they know... :)

20 hours ago, Nahual said:

All I know is that it went #1 in the US, meanwhile arguably better songs like Express Yourself, Cherish, and Frozen to name a few didn't. I'll never understand why such a boring ballad with no real hook was such a roaring success in the US, especially in 1992. :Madonna048:

She was at the top of her game at that time. Anything she touched went gold. Don't forget Erotica was expected to hit #1 after it hit #3, but it fizzled out once the book came out.

I can't remember what interview(s?) she said it in, but she compared writing songs like TUTBMP, I'll Remember,  etc. to doing homework.  I think she kinda tosses songs like that off and thinks that they're maybe "beneath" her?  It explains her attitude towards these songs, plus a few others like Into the Groove, which she really doesn't like.  It also explains the somewhat generic lyrics of her homework songs like Playground or Hey You.

Its was so much of a big hit (not like the classics) but it did well! 

Rain even though not a hit in that sense it was on MTV ALL THE TIME! So everyone knew it. Perhaps theyd already bought the album or just knew they could put on MTV and hear it for free lol. I dont know how it didnt smash the charts. Backlash time too I guess. 

On 9/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, Andreo said:

Also I've never heard it here in Italy, until two days ago when my friend told she heard it on the radio (and they played a remix of it)! 

Back in 1992 I bought a magazine which had the translated lyrics of this song, but I actually had never heard the song until I bought the "Something To Remember" compilation. That is funny because I watched the film on VHS, but I don't have any memories of the song being played during the final credits. Plus, I had never seen the video on MTV Brazil,  even though Madonna was constantly on. The first time I remember seeing it on MTV was back in 1995 (when they aired a one-hour special with all the videos from "Something To Remember" very late at night) and again in 1999 on an everyday-half-an-hour program called Top 2000 (which compiled the 2000 greatest videos aired by MTV Brasil since 1990).

It's a strange song. It's got that slow burn that In This Life has. Alot of sadness, and numbness that's heightened by the intro, strings, and that heartbreaking string breakdown. 

If she could sing it with conviction like she did  ITL  on the Girlie Show it could be a truly magical tour moment. But I think we all have PTSD and know she would end up messing up the words, and then make her messing up the words a part of the show, all the while thinking it's cute or something and then never bother to rehearse it as everyone has said. 

I could see it be something she sings on her very last tour as the very last song.  :Madonna041: