This Used To Be My Playground

Luiz Ribeiro

On 9/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, momosfantasy said:

I can't remember what interview(s?) she said it in, but she compared writing songs like TUTBMP, I'll Remember,  etc. to doing homework.  I think she kinda tosses songs like that off and thinks that they're maybe "beneath" her?  It explains her attitude towards these songs, plus a few others like Into the Groove, which she really doesn't like.  It also explains the somewhat generic lyrics of her homework songs like Playground or Hey You.

This "homework" thing rings a bell, feels kind of linked to what she said later about writing camps. She has her own writing method, even though we know very little about it. 

I'd love to see/read the full interview to check the songs she refers to. Does anyone have the source?

4 hours ago, playpause said:

This "homework" thing rings a bell, feels kind of linked to what she said later about writing camps. She has her own writing method, even though we know very little about it. 

I'd love to see/read the full interview to check the songs she refers to. Does anyone have the source?

Oh hunnay,

Playground and I’ll Remember are senior thesis material.

Hey You is some kindergarten finger paint project.

I consider "This Used To Be My Playground" a nostalgic, fitting end to the first chapter of Madonna's legendary career (1982-1992).

This song was arguably the culmination of her Imperial Phase, a decade as an untouchable pop goddess that radio would eat up no matter what she released, whether it be a spoken-word poem about sex (#1 Justify My Love), a swing / jazz tune (#10 Hanky Hanky) or a 5-minute orchestral ballad (#1 Playground).

Every song she recorded turned into gold and she could get away with controversy seamlessly up to that point - until Sex was released of course. Then it started Chapter 2 (1992-2002), a fascinating, experimental period where she was no longer immune to failure but ultimately cemented her status as a living legend.

But back to your original question, yes "This Used To Be My Playground" was a smash Top 10 hit everywhere except New Zealand (#14). It's forgotten because Madonna never performed it and it's admittedly not very radio-friendly. A League Of Their Own will always be a bonafide classic, though!.

The "I don't perform or consider these songs because soundtracks are like homework and not heartfelt work" will forever be a lame, unacceptable excuse not to acknowledge the importance of certain OST songs in your discography imo. I hope she doesn't feel like this tbh, I doubt it, i remember she was even asked about performing Playground and I'll Remember and she just said they wouldn't fit her current mood as they were "too dreamy". Does anyone remember the interview? 

4 hours ago, playpause said:

I'm so sorry, I really wish I did.  If it helps,  I seem to remember it being in reference to "I'll Remember", and I guess it's even possible that it could have been a quote from a tour director, but it's an attitude towards those songs that she seems to have (and honestly, there's not really much reason to doubt it considering she's never performed them live or referenced them since "Something to Remember ").  Maybe she has or will soften her opinion of them, I mean, they're good songs (well, maybe not Hey You, but that's my own opinion, lol).  But this is also a woman who doesn't like Into the Groove, which...what the hell is wrong with you M??  Lol

12 hours ago, Andreo said:

I hope she doesn't feel like this tbh, I doubt it, i remember she was even asked about performing Playground and I'll Remember and she just said they wouldn't fit her current mood as they were "too dreamy". Does anyone remember the interview? 

I do! It was before the Madame X Tour. At least she didn't diss them!

On 9/24/2021 at 2:44 AM, baymad4her said:

What full length version?

The 6.56 version (Played during the movie closing credit)

In 1992 Madonna starred in A League Of Their Own as Mae Mordabito. She also wrote the ballad This Used To Be My Playground for the film, though it wasn't included in the soundtrack, because of record company conflicts. Instead it featured on Barcelona Gold, an Olympics charity collection, and in 1995 it was added to Something To Remember. Hence the many versions of the song: the movie version (only used in the closing credits), a long version that was featured on the single, and the (short) single version, that also appeared on Something To Remember. The version on Barcelona Gold is even shorter than the single version.

It contains an unique verse @5.50

This used to be our playground
This used to be our great escape
This used to be the place we ran to
This used to be our secret hiding place

49 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

The 6.56 version (Played during the movie closing credit)

It contains an unique verse @5.50

This used to be our playground
This used to be our great escape
This used to be the place we ran to
This used to be our secret hiding place

Oh, that one. Yeah, I've got that. I thought the poster was referring to some other version.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:25 AM, thelioncourtheart_ said:

What about the Barcelona Gold edit? I haven't seen that one online. What's the difference? I apologize for my ignorance. There's so many versions.

Edit of the single version. 

The song ends so fast even before you get into the mood lol

Edited by LongIslandTea (see edit history)

For those of you pining for a live version of songs like this, you know how dreadfully boring that would be for a performance? The song just goes on and on and on. It was nice for its time, but better left in the past. Think about from the standpoint of a performer; how best would you entertain your audience, through lively songs or a terribly slow and dragging number?