This Used To Be My Playground

Luiz Ribeiro

1 hour ago, PatrickSamuel said:

For those of you pining for a live version of songs like this, you know how dreadfully boring that would be for a performance? The song just goes on and on and on. It was nice for its time, but better left in the past. Think about from the standpoint of a performer; how best would you entertain your audience, through lively songs or a terribly slow and dragging number?

Umm

For those of you pining for a live version of songs like this, you know how dreadfully boring that would be for a performance? The song just goes on and on and on. It was nice for its time, but better left in the past. Think about from the standpoint of a performer; how best would you entertain your audience, through lively songs or a terribly slow and dragging number?

A shortened version would work imo, even a medley with a more uptempo ballad

2 hours ago, PatrickSamuel said:

What? We had Madonna with a fucking ukulele singing a song that is not even hers FFS...

And also, you may find boring but is not like Madonna never did ballads on her tours before:

You Must Love Me on Sticky & Sweet for example, how trite that was. Lament on Reinvention...

Excuse me??? Those were great setlist choices and performances, they were executed so theatrically, especially Lament, both placed perfectly in the setlist in order to be the emotional peak of the segment of the show, how are that trite??? 

23 hours ago, PatrickSamuel said:

I love this song but I think the same... I think we'll never see this song in a concert. It's sad it wasn't nominated for an Oscar to see it live at least once...

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2021 at 10:48 PM, PlayPause said:

It was a big hit, she hadn't released anything since the Immaculate collection.

I remember hearing it on the radio for the first time, it was quite an event.

Very sweet song.

Your post here really just resonated with me and took me back to 1992. Like you say, Madonna hadn't released anything since The Immaculate Collection in 1990, and information on artists and New releases was so much more difficult to find out. 

I was only 16 when The Immaculate Collection was released. As far as I was concerned, and was led to believe, a greatest hits package was an artist's way of grouping all their best work together and then signing off. I was under the impression that Madonna, my favourite artist, had called it a day. Seems crazy to have thought that now.

The release of This Used To Be My Playground came out of nowhere and the track absolutely stunned me when I first heard it. She was back, and The Immaculate Collection had not been the end. The long version became the default listen as I found the single version too short. I found the music to it beautifully haunting, and on many occasions, then and since, there's been a lump in my throat by the end of the song. How utterly raw with emotion it sounded, about someone looking back at their childhood, just at the point when I was on the brink of turning 18 and leaving my childhood behind. 

Yeh, it unfortunately appears to be a forgotten and overlooked song, but not with me. Like the Erotica album which followed not too far behind, it arrived at a really huge time in my life. Pretty special.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, Alexei said:

Your post here really just resonated with me and took me back to 1992. Like you say, Madonna hadn't released anything since The Immaculate Collection in 1990, and information on artists and New releases was so much more difficult to find out. 

I was only 16 when The Immaculate Collection was released. As far as I was concerned, and was led to believe, a greatest hits package was an artist's way of grouping all their best work together and then signing off. I was under the impression that Madonna, my favourite artist, had called it a day. Seems crazy to have thought that now.

The release of This Used To Be My Playground came out of nowhere and the track absolutely stunned me when I first heard it. She was back, and The Immaculate Collection had not been the end. The long version became the default listen as I found the single version too short. I found the music to it beautifully haunting, and on many occasions, then and since, there's been a lump in my throat by the end of the song. How utterly raw with emotion it sounded, about someone looking back at their childhood, just at the point when I was on the brink of turning 18 and leaving my childhood behind. 

Yeh, it unfortunately appears to be a forgotten and overlooked song, but not with me. Like the Erotica album which followed not too far behind, it arrived at a really huge time in my life. Pretty special.

Beautiful...I kinda felt the same way hearing Hung Up after the AL era...so nice to hear fans talk about the music 

• 11 months later...

Here in the UK it reached Number 3 and had reasonable sales and airplay but for a non-album single it should have performed better. Her lead singles are usually followed by the album quite quickly which can effect the singles sales but TUTBMP had no place on a Madonna album for over 3 years. Was the gap since IC too long and some fans had moved on?

3 hours ago, chrisjc said:

Here in the UK it reached Number 3 and had reasonable sales and airplay but for a non-album single it should have performed better. Her lead singles are usually followed by the album quite quickly which can effect the singles sales but TUTBMP had no place on a Madonna album for over 3 years. Was the gap since IC too long and some fans had moved on?

I don't think it's coz fans had moved on, more to do with the fact that it was quite a nostalgic and mournful 5 minute ballad released at the peak of summer and had 3 similar versions of itself on the cd! The other songs around her in the UK chart that month were Sexy MF by Prince, Rhythm Is A Dancer by Snap!, Ain't No Doubt by Jimmy Nail, Shake Your Head by Was Not Was, Love Sex Intelligence by The Shamen etc... All BOPS!

Like, it spent 3 weeks in the Top 5. It did pretty well.

• 1 year later...