"Bad Girl" - "It's about friends of hers that have died of AIDS."

Thiago Ciola

"The song 'Bad Girl' is about a girl who gets drunk by six and smokes too many cigarettes," Pettibone explained in a 1992 NME interview. "That's the chorus but it goes a lot deeper than that. It's about friends of hers that have died of AIDS. It's about trying to bring an awareness to a situation that some people still don't think is real, but it's everywhere."

I can't remember exactly where but I recall Madonna saying it was inspired in someone she met or saw at a bar. And she just created an story about her, kinda self reflecting on her own. This was after a divorce and a break up while being the center of attention of all the media. In this life is the one that she talks about the people she lost and AIDS

I do remember Madonna saying in an interview she was watching a female at a bar  but the idea for the video was influenced by the 1977 movie "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" – a film in which the main female character lives a self-destructive life and is stabbed to death by a one-night stand.

51 minutes ago, Semtex1 said:

I do remember Madonna saying in an interview she was watching a female at a bar  but the idea for the video was influenced by the 1977 movie "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" – a film in which the main female character lives a self-destructive life and is stabbed to death by a one-night stand.

I’ve seen that film - the ending was shocking ??

3 hours ago, Semtex1 said:

Its on my list to see....(i've been saying that since the 90's)

Just seen that its on Youtube!!

I saw it on YouTube too as it’s never been released on dvd or blu ray and the quality is shocking bad but you won’t forget the ending - at least bad girl video has a sort of happy ending ?

4 hours ago, EgoRod said:

The interview could have been lost in transcription. They talked about so many parts of the album, record it and then they need to put the interview together from these recordings. Elements can be mixed up

Which interview are you referring too ? The one I posted ? If so I don’t know why you would say that as the interviewer clearly asks about the song bad girl ??

7 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Which interview are you referring too ? The one I posted ? If so I don’t know why you would say that as the interviewer clearly asks about the song bad girl ??

No I mean the original interview  the OP made the thread about for the NME.  You shared a radio interview.

For magazines the interviewer usually record a series of questions and then put them together with a script, editing around and making it sound fluid and interesting. They could be talking about the songs of Erotica and bring some examples from the songs and got the meaning behind those two mixed up.