Madonna Immortalized in Art

Vogue Italia

There are also fabulous artworks done by artist Martin Burgoyne, which I absolutely love. I remember some of his sketchbooks included lots of Madonna sketches were auctioned off a few years ago. I wonder if Madonna was able to bid on some of those? He also worked on the first album artwork concept and the artwork for the Burning Up/Physical Attraction 12" cover.

In the first post I wrote about Madonna sponsoring Basquiat's work at the Whitney in 1992 and Cindy Sherman's retrospective at the MoMA in 1997, but I just discovered she also sponsored Tina Modotti's retrospective at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1995 and Basquiat's show at the Serpentine Galley in 1996.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:14 AM, Rory said:

There are also fabulous artworks done by artist Martin Burgoyne, which I absolutely love. I remember some of his sketchbooks included lots of Madonna sketches were auctioned off a few years ago. I wonder if Madonna was able to bid on some of those? He also worked on the first album artwork concept and the artwork for the Burning Up/Physical Attraction 12" cover.

Oh yes, he was talented artist. Seymour Stein gave Martin credit for being instrumental in her early career. He wrote in his book, Siren Song: My Life in Music, that Martin designed the original cover for Madonna's debut album sleeve, but she decided "it  just wasn't "iconic enough." He said Madonna discreetly asked A&R executive Michael Rosenblatt to refuse Martin's design. I hope she was able to get some of his drawings.

20140122-news-madonna-auction-martin-bur

martin.png.397ed4048ff245bf8b8298c703f3eb35.png

80-s-pop-culture-estate.jpg