Madonna and Ricky Martin Were Going to Shoot a Video for This Song But They Never Did

Brendanlovesu1

During the height of Ricky Martin’s career, he recorded a song with Madonna. This song was supposed to be a single and the two singers were going to film a music video for the track. Neither of these things ever happened. During interviews, Martin revealed what he thought when Madonna wanted to release a single with him and he revealed some details about the video that was never filmed.

How Madonna surprised Ricky Martin

The late 1990s were a great time for Latin music. Artists like Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, and Martin became very popular in the United States and got more people interested in the genre. Martin’s self-titled 1999 album became a massive hit in the U.S., giving the world indelible hits like “Livin’ la Vida Loca” and “She’s All I Ever Had.”

One of the tracks on Martin’s album is “Be Careful (Cuidado Con Mi Corazón),” a duet with Madonna. Martin was surprised Madonna wanted to release the song as a single. “My song with Madonna is the first duet single she has ever recorded — I’m not sure why she chose me,” Martin told the BBC. “But when Madonna asks you to do something you don’t really think twice. She is a legend.”

Ricky Martin expected to make a music video for the song with Madonna

During a 1999 interview with MTV News, Martin said he would film a video for the song with Madonna. “I’m definitely recording, shooting that video with ‘the Goddess,’ with Madonna,” Martin said. “We’re now working with which schedule …. She’s doing a movie at the moment. 

“She’ll be doing theater later on, so hopefully by first week … second week of December, we’ll be shooting this video in San Juan, Puerto Rico,” Martin said. “Looking forward. I said it. I’m not supposed to say this, but I said it.” Despite this, the song never became a single and the two stars never filmed a music video for it.

“Be Careful” never hit the Billboard Hot 100. Despite this, its parent album, Ricky Martin, became a massive success. Ricky Martin reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200, staying on the chart for 67 weeks. The Official Charts Company reports the song did not chart in the United Kingdom either. Ricky Martin reached No. 2 in the U.K., staying on the charts for 63 weeks.

During an interview with CNN, Martin said he wanted Latin music to become more popular. “Yes, I do want Latin music to be accepted,” he said. “But we can’t forget what Gloria Estefan did. We can’t forget what Jose Feliciano did for a while. And Santana. They’re legends, and you know they’re not going to die.” Martin was one of many artists who helped bring Latin music to a new audience — even if he didn’t make a video with Madonna.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/ricky-martin-madonna-going-shoot-video-song-never.html/

It was and still is a great song but I always thought it didn't get released as a single cause Madonna had still that policy of "no singles and videos with other artists". I know, "I Want You" with Massive Attack, but she didn't share the spotlight there and it was cancelled anyway, so...

"Me Against The Music" changed it all... I remember it was VERY surprising at the time, for this reason.

8 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It was and still is a great song but I always thought it didn't get released as a single cause Madonna had still that policy of "no singles and videos with other artists". I know, "I Want You" with Massive Attack, but she didn't share the spotlight there and it was cancelled anyway, so...

"Me Against The Music" changed it all... I remember it was VERY surprising at the time, for this reason.

Yeah and me against the music is probably one of the worst collaborations ever ??

5 minutes ago, LoveAffair said:

Was the song really slowed down? Because the BPM of the acapella sounds weird to me.

I think the instrumental was definitely slowed and pitched down and Madonna didn't re-record her vocals for it cause she sounds lower than usual even in her lower register (Orbit used this same trick again in "Falling Free" for the ending of the song, but the result was much worse). But maybe some of the "Corazón (Be Careful)" demos on YouTube are fake anyway?

33 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Wasn't that because Ricky couldn't hit the notes? They slowed/pitched it down for that reason as far as I know.

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I think the instrumental was definitely slowed and pitched down and Madonna didn't re-record her vocals for it cause she sounds lower than usual even in her lower register (Orbit used this same trick again in "Falling Free" for the ending of the song, but the result was much worse). But maybe some of the "Corazón (Be Careful)" demos on YouTube are fake anyway?

There's an anecdote out there from an interview that I can't seem to locate, where Madonna discussed how she could only work with a specific vocal engineer for this song, as he was the only one who could capture the warmth and emotion in her voice, etc....

It's clear that she never re-recorded her voice. It's just slowed down.

The stems for the original song are our there circulating among collectors.

You can hear Madonna's original vocals in the original pitch in this leaked fanmade creation using the vocals + orchestra:

12 minutes ago, deathproof said:

There's an anecdote out there from an interview that I can't seem to locate, where Madonna discussed how she could only work with a specific vocal engineer for this song, as he was the only one who could capture the warmth and emotion in her voice, etc....

It's clear that she never re-recorded her voice. It's just slowed down.

The stems for the original song are our there circulating among collectors.

You can hear Madonna's original vocals in the original pitch in this leaked fanmade creation using the vocals + orchestra:

This is SO beautiful. ❤️?

5 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

"“Be Careful” never hit the Billboard Hot 100. Despite this, its parent album, Ricky Martin, became a massive success'

Um it wasn't eligible to chart as was not a single 

exactly. it was pre digital /pre stream era
there no way for non singles tracks to chart
who wrote this sh*t :lol: