Is Erotica trip hop?

Am I the only one who gets massive trip hop vibes from this album? Like, Bye Bye Baby instrumental sounds a lot like Tom's Dinner, which is trip hop. Also, the whole album sounds like it could really fit the dark melancholic dirty urban aesthetic from the 90s scene.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:15 AM, PatrickSamuel said:

And a bit of new jack swing. 

I love what Andre Betts brought to the album. It takes it nicely into Bedtime Stories.

Maybe I forgot about this, but do we know if André produced other tracks intended for the album? He did help Madonna go into a whole different direction.

1 hour ago, madgefan said:

Maybe I forgot about this, but do we know if André produced other tracks intended for the album? He did help Madonna go into a whole different direction.

Dear Father was produced by Betts as well, but never used as David Frank (with whom Madonna had a conflict during a pre-stardom recording session) came with the bassline of the track. As soon as she discovered it, she decided to put it in the vault.

On 11/21/2021 at 3:26 AM, DOWN LOAD said:

massive trip hop vibes

Not really, the massive vibes are hip hop and new jack swing throughout a 90s house pop set. Trip hop was only burgeoning in Bristol when Erotica was made. The album sounds very American, very New York. She was still competing with Prince, Michael and Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, George Michael in 1992... Trip hop wasn't on the radar yet.

Even Secret Garden (one of my favourites ever) is spoken word over a heavy breakbeat jazz track, it still sounds too funky to be considered as trip hop.

Her first trip hop track is probably Sanctuary, then obviously I Want You.

On 11/25/2021 at 4:28 PM, Curtains said:

Dear Father was produced by Betts as well, but never used as David Frank (with whom Madonna had a conflict during a pre-stardom recording session) came with the bassline of the track. As soon as she discovered it, she decided to put it in the vault.

What's the source of this info? :)

Actually Madonna approached Nellee Hooper to produce Erotica since she like his work on Massive Attack's first album "Blue lines" (released the year prior) and on O'Connor's "Nothing compares 2 U". Massive Attack was supposed to  work on Bedtime Stories but they turned her offer down because they wanted to spend the summer of 94 free to watch the world cup. 

Justify my love is considered as trip hop. Betts prods have elements of trip hop in them. His remix of Justify My Love is clearly more trip hop than hip hop.

17 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Actually Madonna approached Nellee Hooper to produce Erotica since she like his work on Massive Attack's first album "Blue lines" (released the year prior) and on O'Connor's "Nothing compares 2 U". Massive Attack was supposed to  work on Bedtime Stories but they turned her offer down because they wanted to spend the summer of 94 free to watch the world cup. 

Justify my love is considered as trip hop. Betts prods have elements of trip hop in them. His remix of Justify My Love is clearly more trip hop than hip hop.

The Massive Attack track “Blue Lines” features the same sample as the Hip Hop Mix of Justify My Love.