Who prefers the old videos compared to the new HD ones ?

Redha DBL

5 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Thank you! I just watched Sunset Boulevard for the first time and it had all these areas of the screen that danced around like old school tv static. Sometimes right on an actors face would be pixels of grey dancing around. Then when I clicked play on JML video it sadly has the same thing. I dont know what that is... but I don't like that at all. 

It is film grain. If you scrub that grain away you lose detail and actors faces become waxy and the environment becomes blocky and you see these patches of crushed blacks and poor colour reproduction. 

Yes film stock has improved and is less grainy than it used to be. It also depends on the type of film you use. 16mm is very grainy and most likely was what they used for JML. 35mm is less grainy and is most likely what she used for the majority of her music videos. 70mm pretty much has no grain at all, but is expensive and I doubt she shot any of her music videos on that format.