Madonna’s worst career decision

Starchild

so many to mention

not releasing a ray of light remix album, veronica electronica project

not having impressive instant as a single and video

not releasing remixes of various album tracks

american life album not having nothing fails as a single with video

beat goes on not being the lead single or 2nd single from hard candy

mdna was not completed as orbit still had material he was working on from the project

not giving the fans the singles collection they craved with celebration of correct 7" versions

11 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

and let's not forget Little Girl, Run, Like a Flower, La Petite Jeune Fille, Liquid Love, Arioso. Thank God Music took another direction with Mirwais, or we would have had a compilation of b-sides.

Come on, on the past twenty years, do you actually remember something worthy from him? No, 'cause his career ended in the early '00; unfortunately, some fans haven't realized yet that Orbit is just a one-trick pony.

Just so you know, Like a Flower wasn't produced by Orbit, but by Rick Nowels during the Ray of Light sessions in 1997, i guess you're confusing it with Like an Angel Passing Through My Room.

Tbh I feel like Liquid Love and Run could have easily been in the album, they were already mastered anyway and could fit pretty well within Music. The others are more ballad-ish which wasn't what she wanted but they were still great tracks on their own and could have been b-sides as you said. Liquid Love was my favorite from these sessions besides Time Stood Still and i really wished it was officially released.

Her opening an Instagram account. Because of it she's been involved in several controversies and moments that have made me give her the side-eye, plus I think she's the type of artist who's generally more interesting when there's an aura of mystique around her life, which Instagram has kind of ruined. 

23 hours ago, deathproof said:

I feel like we still would have gotten a Music. She was still slated to go into the studio in 99, and no matter what turn of events that happened in her career, Mirwais still would have submitted his stuff to Maverick

Agree. From Music on M did a Tour with every album. Means after a possible ROL Tour, there would have been Music and DWT

But at the end id rather consider it a "missing decission" because if i have to chose a really bad decision...well id go with the most collabs M did with Niki Minaj / especialy L.U.V - such a dumb childish song :lol:

and Collab with "Lil what ever" on Revolver :cry:

Edited by dude78 (see edit history)

If the "Godfather 3" would have been done around 88/89 i would like to have seen a brunette-like a prayer Madonna as Mary Corleone.

I think M even was in talk for it at some point but beeing considered to "old". She was actually offered the role of the seducing reporter, that went to Bridget Fonda.

Just a thought (its not really a worst career decision)

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Just so you know, Like a Flower wasn't produced by Orbit, but by Rick Nowels during the Ray of Light sessions in 1997, i guess you're confusing it with Like an Angel Passing Through My Room.

Tbh I feel like Liquid Love and Run could have easily been in the album, they were already mastered anyway and could fit pretty well within Music. The others are more ballad-ish which wasn't what she wanted but they were still great tracks on their own and could have been b-sides as you said. Liquid Love was my favorite from these sessions besides Time Stood Still and i really wished it was officially released.

Sorry, my mistake; I forgot that Like a Flower was a Nowels' production.

Anyway, I disagree about Liquid Love and Run.

21 hours ago, Renato Iodice said:

If only we ignore - or pretend to ignore - his mediocre contribution in Music (Amazing and Runaway Lover are IMHO just mediocre fillers) and his overall weak, dated production on MDNA... and let's not forget Little Girl, Run, Like a Flower, La Petite Jeune Fille, Liquid Love, Arioso. Thank God Music took another direction with Mirwais, or we would have had a compilation of b-sides.

Come on, on the past twenty years, do you actually remember something worthy from him? No, 'cause his career ended in the early '00; unfortunately, some fans haven't realized yet that Orbit is just a one-trick pony.

I do agree his work is kind of repetitive but think Orbit is still a great producer and the best of her collaborators over the last 3 albums.  He's a  much better fit than all this Diplo /Mike Dean/Kayne sound she seems to keep going for on the last two album

54 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

I do agree his work is kind of repetitive but think Orbit is still a great producer and the best of her collaborators over the last 3 albums.  He's a  much better fit than all this Diplo /Mike Dean/Kayne sound she seems to keep going for on the last two album

I dislike the last two albums, but that doesn't mean I would have preferred another collaboration with Orbit. The '90s are over.

On 12/3/2021 at 7:12 PM, vasili said:

Was signing that Live Nation deal for X amount of albums and tours over X amount of years, as it turned her albums into a mere means to a touring end rather than allowing her to craft her music only when she felt artistically inspired and at her own pace. Let the record show that Madonna chose money over art here.

Madame X was an attempt to make amends on this before she cashes in again, this time on her legacy with her upcoming biopic (she wants to call it a ‘visual autobiography’ to fool herself into thinking that she is different and isn’t following this latest trend) and the musical and touring residuals she’s bound to amass leading up to/following the movie’s release.

So? 

On 12/4/2021 at 8:15 PM, AntiSkilled said:

One of the worst mistakes was Sire not releasing "Into The Groove" as a single in the US. It was totally dumb move that cost most likely a number 1 hit comparative to her earlier movie soundtrack song success with "Crazy For You." I don't know who there called the shots not to promote it considering "Desperately Seeking Susan" was a super popular box office movie. I like Angel but they really should have released Into The Groove at the same time as Angel.

WB wasn't about to release a single for a project they were not involved in and could make little money from. They were annoyed that Vision Quest and DSS was stealing thunder from the LAV release and its singles. They refused any kind of release until radio programmers recorded the audio for ITG from the music video and began playing it. So they relented to the demand, somewhat.

WB was clear - they never cared about single sales only album sales - they said this blatantly back in the day. Singles were there to promo an Album and nothing else. The bigger mistake was not putting ITG on LAV like they did in Europe. Though they barely needed help with sales of that LP in the US.  Still the album could have sold an additional million or more if they had done that.

Releasing Angel and ITG at the same time was exactly what they didn't want to do. ITG would have been the bigger seller, meaning less people would be buying the LAV album and its singles. WB and other labels were convinced single sales were eating into album sales. They (WB and other labels) even did an independant study that Billboard got a hold of (well part of it) which actually proved them wrong. But bullheaded, they continued to try to push Billboard to change their rules about physical singles and relied more on airplay until Billboard gave in. 

I would focus on some lead single choices. I keep thinking the 00s and 10s albums had the wrong song chosen to lead promotion (except for Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy). 

American Life should have had "Intervention" as the first single, MDNA should have been "Girl Gone Wild" instead of the mess that was GMAYL, Rebel Heart could have been perfect first presented with "Body Shop", and all the Madame X concept is encapsulated in "Batuka", "Medellín" should have been 2nd.

and yes, Instagram, as she is handling it, is a mistake. she could still have opened it and keep the mistique, have it managed by her team to make announcements or celebrate release anniversaries. look at what U2 has done there for example.

speaking of U2, their and M's manager. her biggest mistake.

I've been thinking whether to write this or not for days but here we go.

I know she somehow had a point but... going full against Lady Gaga in 2012. She had always managed to win the next younger pop fans generations until then. And then it was over forever cause once you're out... you're out.

With "Ray Of Light" she won a whole new generation and again, getting closer to Britney and Christina in 2003 got her most of their fans on board later with the "Confessions" era. Instead, the whole Gaga fiasco only made a whole generation of Gaga fans almost ban Madonna for life for no reason and it's quite sad. I don't get how you can like 2008-2013 Gaga and not like Madonna.

I know they're on good terms now but whatever.

(I liked them both, by the way :cute:)

3 hours ago, LongIslandTea said:

Hey You

oh my word, wtf was that.... I remember the song was available as a free download, and it was announced that for each download there would be a donation for charity.... Microsoft pledged to donate $0.25 per download to the "Alliance for Global Climate Change" society for the first million downloads of the track... and in the end we never heard what happened and how much money was raised... guess it was such a low sum that the whole thing was swept under the rug. :seeno:

Can you imagine raising money for charity with such a bad song :eyes:

Well, I got some unpopular opinions.

From The First Album to Vogue, I've little to complain: yes, to me I'm Breathless is just a pointless album, a collection of cheesy, irritating songs - and Holiday, Angel, Dress You Up, Causing A Commotion, The Look Of Love should have been promoted with REAL videos - but she always chose the right singles to promote her albums.

I'm still not sure about Erotica as lead single: IMHO Rain could have been a better choice, and it would have mitigated the controversy around the SEX book... and why she chose Fever as fifth single whe there was something like Why's It So Hard?

Music promotion should have been longer, and [first unpopular opinion] the Above & Beyond remix of What It Feels Like For A Girl is definitely one of her most perplexing choices: I mean, not only the album version is better, but with all the great tracks in Music, why ending the brief Music promotion with such a generic, forgettable remix? WHY? What was the point of that? To show Guy Ritchie's "talent"? :lol:

The whole American Life era: [second unpopular opinion] sorry but I DON'T GET THE HYPE. It's not a bad album, I overall like it, but the result doesn't match its political, songwriting ambitions. it totally lacks a killer track, and the title track is a mess that deserves all the bad reviews.

Beat Goes On and She's Not Me deserved a video treatment, and it could have changed the perception of Hard Candy...  [third unpopular opinion] Hard Candy is a good album with an awful cover.

MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X: too much vocoder, too much autotune, too much trash, too many bad vocals, too many shitty collaborations, too many ordinary/cheapish productions, and so on.

Edit. I forgot her acting career... with some fine exceptions, I'm still trying to forget it.

Edited by Renato Iodice (see edit history)

On 12/10/2021 at 4:35 PM, Renato Iodice said:

Well, I got some unpopular opinions.

From The First Album to Vogue, I've little to complain: yes, to me I'm Breathless is just a pointless album, a collection of cheesy, irritating songs - and Holiday, Angel, Dress You Up, Causing A Commotion, The Look Of Love should have been promoted with REAL videos - but she always chose the right singles to promote her albums.

I'm still not sure about Erotica as lead single: IMHO Rain could have been a better choice, and it would have mitigated the controversy around the SEX book... and why she chose Fever as fifth single whe there was something like Why's It So Hard?

Music promotion should have been longer, and [first unpopular opinion] the Above & Beyond remix of What It Feels Like For A Girl is definitely one of her most perplexing choices: I mean, not only the album version is better, but with all the great tracks in Music, why ending the brief Music promotion with such a generic, forgettable remix? WHY? What was the point of that? To show Guy Ritchie's "talent"? :lol:

The whole American Life era: [second unpopular opinion] sorry but I DON'T GET THE HYPE. It's not a bad album, I overall like it, but the result doesn't match its political, songwriting ambitions. it totally lacks a killer track, and the title track is a mess that deserves all the bad reviews.

Beat Goes On and She's Not Me deserved a video treatment, and it could have changed the perception of Hard Candy...  [third unpopular opinion] Hard Candy is a good album with an awful cover.

MDNA, Rebel Heart and Madame X: too much vocoder, too much autotune, too much trash, too many bad vocals, too many shitty collaborations, too many ordinary/cheapish productions, and so on.

Edit. I forgot her acting career... with some fine exceptions, I'm still trying to forget it.

Sorry but She's Not Me is awful, imo. Yuck.

On 12/9/2021 at 6:49 AM, androiduser said:

oh my word, wtf was that.... I remember the song was available as a free download, and it was announced that for each download there would be a donation for charity.... Microsoft pledged to donate $0.25 per download to the "Alliance for Global Climate Change" society for the first million downloads of the track... and in the end we never heard what happened and how much money was raised... guess it was such a low sum that the whole thing was swept under the rug. :seeno:

Can you imagine raising money for charity with such a bad song :eyes:

She should've kept it in it's original form aka Keep The Trance.

someone mentioned it already, but yes, Kevin Antunes as lead music director for her last 4 tours.

It takes away the "live" sound experience from her shows. He has said he prefers to sample from the original steams and tapes to "respect the producer's original intention" but dude, I don't pay for a live show to hear exactle the song as on the album. I wanna hear real drums, real guitar, a real bass. I believe the only moment with real instrumentation on the Rebel Heart show was the title track. the Madame X shows had this hybrid thing that kinda worked in some tracks and didn't in others. but she deserves a real band with a real live sound. 

I know she somehow had a point but... going full against Lady Gaga in 2012. She had always managed to win the next younger pop fans generations until then. And then it was over forever cause once you're out... you're out.
It was easier to align herself with and be maternal towards the Britneys of the world 'cause they weren't a threat.
Lady Gaga's force and talent shook her to her core, however, and that is the crux of it; not a supposed soundalike song.
Madonna didn't publicly celebrate her fans or talk about youth bullying until Lady Gaga started owning that space.
I'm not even that big of a Gaga fan these days but history will show that she shook the industry up in many ways.