Madonna’s worst career decision

Starchild

13 hours ago, Ryder said:

The record company wanted to release ‘Amazing’ as the fourth single off the album. Madonna didn’t agree as she voted for ‘Impressive Instant’. There is a rumor going she didn’t want to film a video for ‘Amazing’ so the record company opted to use live footage for the video from ‘Amazing’ as it was scheduled to be played. Madonna on her turn replaced Amazing for Beautiful Stranger in the setlist to prevent this from happening.

"Jump" was meant to be the third single but when "The Devil Wears Prada" came knocking, WB switched to "Get Together" (as "The Devil Wears Prada" was being released in the Summer) also she must've been busy with rehearsing for the tour and for the Jump video at least she managed to find time off her busy schedule  and decided to take her look to a whole new level and try using a platinum blonde bob wig for this video!

But to call both a possible worst career choices is a long stretch ... 

I know. But they are 2 of her best songs in the last 20 years and got garbage videos no one remembers, except for that bad wig.

You are right, though. It could be worse. Like that cover of "Imagine". Or "Hey You". Or the HC gyms, skincare, the MX era (this last one is just my opinion, I know how you all are, God help me, etc)....??

The duet with Don Johnson was a big missed opportunity.

13 hours ago, Ryder said:

The record company wanted to release ‘Amazing’ as the fourth single off the album. Madonna didn’t agree as she voted for ‘Impressive Instant’. There is a rumor going she didn’t want to film a video for ‘Amazing’ so the record company opted to use live footage for the video from ‘Amazing’ as it was scheduled to be played. Madonna on her turn replaced Amazing for Beautiful Stranger in the setlist to prevent this from happening.

"Jump" was meant to be the third single but when "The Devil Wears Prada" came knocking, WB switched to "Get Together" (as "The Devil Wears Prada" was being released in the Summer) also she must've been busy with rehearsing for the tour and for the Jump video at least she managed to find time off her busy schedule  and decided to take her look to a whole new level and try using a platinum blonde bob wig for this video!

But to call both a possible worst career choices is a long stretch ... 

I know. But they are 2 of her best songs in the last 20 years and got garbage videos no one remembers, except for that bad wig.

You are right, though. It could be worse. Like that cover of "Imagine". Or "Hey You". Or the HC gyms, skincare, the MX era (this last one is just my opinion, I know how you all are, God help me, etc)....??

The duet with Don Johnson was a big missed opportunity.

Not having an A&R person during her Interscope years... yeah that was a career mistake.

The differences between her time at Warner and Interscope were very very very different (single choices, release strategy, promotion, radio promotion, etc etc etc etc etc etc...)

It's unfortunate how those 3 albums turned out. Not saying they bad or were her all time worst.

Had those albums came out with Warner, i'm sure things would have been very different.

9 hours ago, Karma said:

Yes, she has two Best Original Song winners in her catalog ("Sooner Or Later", "You Must Love Me") but I still can't fathom how she was denied a co-writing credit.

Why would she get a writing credit for not participating in the songwriting process? With established songwriters like Sondheim and Lloyd Webber she couldn't make adjustments to the songs.

Edited by androiduser (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Why would she get a writing credit for not participating in the songwriting process? With established songwriters like Sondheim and Lloyd Webber she couldn't make adjustments to the songs.

Actually she did on You Must Love Me. She wrote the piano intro on the single version. 

32 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Actually she did on You Must Love Me. She wrote the piano intro on the single version. 

Never heard this information anywhere? And even if this were true, Oscar is awarded to the song as it appears in the movie, not subsequent versions. I do remember that Madonna wanted to make changes to the lyrics but Time Rice wouldn't have it.

2 hours ago, androiduser said:

Never heard this information anywhere? And even if this were true, Oscar is awarded to the song as it appears in the movie, not subsequent versions. I do remember that Madonna wanted to make changes to the lyrics but Time Rice wouldn't have it.

That's why she did not get the credit for it at the Oscars. But she did write that intro on the single version with David Reitzas. That intro is also not performed by the same orchestra on the song from the London sessions but it is performed by the Suzie Katayama quartet.

Well, some other singer got credits at the Oscars for writing a song she did not write....according to Linda Perry...

18 hours ago, AntiSkilled said:

One of the worst mistakes was Sire not releasing "Into The Groove" as a single in the US. It was totally dumb move that cost most likely a number 1 hit comparative to her earlier movie soundtrack song success with "Crazy For You." I don't know who there called the shots not to promote it considering "Desperately Seeking Susan" was a super popular box office movie. I like Angel but they really should have released Into The Groove at the same time as Angel.

The Only place i think it was released as a Double A Side single was Australia. Both songs are counted as Number 1's

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

Not having an A&R person during her Interscope years... yeah that was a career mistake.

The differences between her time at Warner and Interscope were very very very different (single choices, release strategy, promotion, radio promotion, etc etc etc etc etc etc...)

It's unfortunate how those 3 albums turned out. Not saying they bad or were her all time worst.

Had those albums came out with Warner, i'm sure things would have been very different.

100% 

The remixes have also been sub-par from the Interscope releases and compared to the quality with Warner releases  - guess that is down to not having an A&R person too once she left Warners.

Lolz at some of y'all thinking modern day Madonna needs career guidance when her worst judgement of a project has to have been Shanghai Surprise which ruined her chances as a serious actress in Hollywood forever. A huge carreer car-crash at the peak of her commercial success. James Foley has a lot to answer for...

2 hours ago, Bjonkers said:

Lolz at some of y'all thinking modern day Madonna needs career guidance when her worst judgement of a project has to have been Shanghai Surprise which ruined her chances as a serious actress in Hollywood forever. A huge carreer car-crash at the peak of her commercial success. James Foley has a lot to answer for...

Did you delete Evita from your memory?

55 minutes ago, BadGurlMadge said:

If she would’ve done a ROL tour the music album wouldn’t had existed either, as most of the album was made to tour with mixed w ROL

I feel like we still would have gotten a Music. She was still slated to go into the studio in 99, and no matter what turn of events that happened in her career, Mirwais still would have submitted his stuff to Maverick

in my view, the live nation deal was really appropriate for her at that time, considering the music industry was (or still is?) in a transition phase. certainly after the confessions tour, she was recognized as a touring force and her commercially most successful tour followed after that. 

you can question her artistry during that period (and many do), though i don’t believe the outcome can be linked to her being contractually obliged to put out new records, but rather life circumstances.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:00 PM, wtg1987 said:

Sticking with Mirwais and Kevin Antunes to me are here worst mistakes from a music perspective. Ditching Orbit and Stuart Price was another one too - they are much better producers/song writers.

If only we ignore - or pretend to ignore - his mediocre contribution in Music (Amazing and Runaway Lover are IMHO just mediocre fillers) and his overall weak, dated production on MDNA... and let's not forget Little Girl, Run, Like a Flower, La Petite Jeune Fille, Liquid Love, Arioso. Thank God Music took another direction with Mirwais, or we would have had a compilation of b-sides.

Come on, on the past twenty years, do you actually remember something worthy from him? No, 'cause his career ended in the early '00; unfortunately, some fans haven't realized yet that Orbit is just a one-trick pony.

On 12/5/2021 at 5:52 AM, MDNA22 said:

100% 

The remixes have also been sub-par from the Interscope releases and compared to the quality with Warner releases  - guess that is down to not having an A&R person too once she left Warners.

I agree about the remixes part (though I'd argue the cracks were showing during HC era), but I am pretty sure Orlando Puerta (her remix A&R during later Warner years) was responsible for remixes procurement up until I Don't Search...

The worst decision: Guy Oseary as her manager

Also:

Left Warner 

Instagram mess

bad movie choices killing her actress status: Shanghai Surprise, WTG,  Body of Evidence, The Next Best Thing and her last breath as an actress, Swept Away

Not release Into the Groove, Beautiful Stranger and American Pie in the USA