Question regarding 1987 MTV VMA's Causing a Commotion performance

Unruhe

Hello everyone!

I have heard for ages the version that the 1987 Causing a Commotion performance was broadcasted live during the awards ceremony directly from one of the italian shows. Now I'm doing some research for the next episode of my podcast (Santa Madonna) on the MTV Madonna appearances and there's something that doesn't add up.

According to Wikipedia, the VMAs that year aired live on September 11, 1987 and they even list her as one of the performers "live from Italy". Now the Who's That Girl Tour had ended a few days earlier on September 6th in Firenze, and the one I have in my files even says it's from the September 4th show in Torino.

So what's the real deal here? Did they play a tape of the 4th and they lied about it being live? Or is the Wikipedia date on the 87 VMA's wrong and they really were on the 4th instead of the 11th?

1 hour ago, Craigypants said:

I thought that causing a commotion on the MTV awards was from Miami or somewhere in Florida. Doesn't she have the Gold Pants on?

MTV did a report from Miami and broadcast a performance of Causing a Commotion. This was totally separate from the MTV Awards in September.

6 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Isn’t the VMA broadcast the same version that was used as the music video?

In that case it’s the Torino performance, same one as the Italian broadcast

Yeah I think so too. September 11th date seems correct. The Torino show was not broadcast in America either I don’t think.

The MTV VMA's had a live satellite feed of the WTG show in Miami, FL.

This is different from the Turin show as Donna De Lory falls during Causing A Commotion. Madonna kinda laughs and says, "It's slippery up here...."

I used to have this recorded on VHS and watched Donna's fall over and over. lol

53 minutes ago, chle70 said:

This is different from the Turin show as Donna De Lory falls during Causing A Commotion. Madonna kinda laughs and says, "It's slippery up here...."

So they broadcasted the Miami performance not Turin right? 

It was not live and was edited and it does include shots from Japan. They had a ton of performers that night performing "live via satellite" from their respective concerts. M wasn't the only one. 

The actual MTV awards from 1987 is out there so you can see for yourself if you track it down.

In terms of the music video, interestingly it never seemed to be added to MTV's rotation list in 1987. I get the feeling it was only used internationally and not in the US. Billboard listed video lists from all the different music video shows and it never appeared on any list. Maybe it was played on MTV, but more so in a recurrent manner not like a video would normally play.

5 hours ago, me1981 said:

It was not live and was edited and it does include shots from Japan. They had a ton of performers that night performing "live via satellite" from their respective concerts. M wasn't the only one. 

The actual MTV awards from 1987 is out there so you can see for yourself if you track it down.

In terms of the music video, interestingly it never seemed to be added to MTV's rotation list in 1987. I get the feeling it was only used internationally and not in the US. Billboard listed video lists from all the different music video shows and it never appeared on any list. Maybe it was played on MTV, but more so in a recurrent manner not like a video would normally play.

So it was not directly live but edited from Torino and Japan footage?

3 hours ago, Unruhe said:

So it was not directly live but edited from Torino and Japan footage?

Yep, I have the full VMA's 87 show. It is 4 hrs long (with the preshow) and took ages to download, so I am not too keen to upload it just yet, but I found just M's performance. Although you don't see it here, it literally begins with a freeze frame, haha. So I don't think they were even trying to fool anyone that it was live. 

18 hours ago, chle70 said:

No. That wasn’t the VMA’s. The VMA’s was in September, the Miami concert was in June.

17 hours ago, PanditaRulez said:

So they broadcasted the Miami performance not Turin right? 

No.

Guys, I don’t want to be rude but did you even read the thread? It’s already been explained by multiple people.

13 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

No. That wasn’t the VMA’s. The VMA’s was in September, the Miami concert was in June.

No.

Guys, I don’t want to be rude but did you even read the thread? It’s already been explained by multiple people.

You are absolutely correct. I got this performance mixed up with the MTV report of when the tour opened in the US, in Miami. :handsy: