Did Give 2 To Me destroy any chances of successful future Madonna singles?

Aaron Evans

I don’t like that song as the follow-up to “4 Minutes”. The instrumental sounds like it came from an early 2000s video game, and is thus too cheap-sounding (not “cheesy” cheap, but cheap cheap) for chart material. I can understand why Madonna never had a major worldwide hit after that, and don’t blame it on her switching labels for MDNA.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, PatrickSamuel said:

Why would it destroy future chances? She just needed to release better singles that would resonate with the public. She had shitty singles prior to that one.

I live in Australia, and I haven’t heard anything after the Hard Candy era on my local station. It also appears that nearly every station got caught up in the same problem. For me, it’s mostly her 80s stuff, but I have heard “Ray of Light”, “Hung Up”, “Sorry” and “4 Minutes” in the past year.

A similar problem is happening with the new ABBA album, stations are refusing to play the singles for obvious reasons. The closest was Nova playing “Don’t Shut Me Down” in high rotation after release, but only briefly.

Let's not act as if GI2M was not a hit, maybe not much in the USA but it surely charted well everywhere else, sold good and was popular and still is today, mostly in Europe, and all of this receiving 0 promotion. It has nothing to do with the lack of success of the following projects. It's a mix of wrong single choices and lack of promotion for the upcoming singles, starting from Miles Away, with better songs like this or GGW getting thrown away, while more mediocre singles like, GAUL, LFL or Medellín got performed somewhere at least.

3 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

Give it 2 me was played A LOT in Italy. You couldn't go 10 minutes without hearing on the radio or seeing it on MTV. 

You didn't hear later singles on the radio because they stopped playing anything she did after she turned 50.

Exactly! Actually it's one of her biggest hit here in Italy, it still gets played A LOT still today, after 13 years! 

In most countries the song did pretty well and had strong peaks. Not sure about longevity though, but it went top 10 and higher in many places. 

Here in Australia people were getting tired of the broken touring promises and lack of any promo from her when tons of newer stars were making the trek here and paying us a lot more attention. M ignoring us hurt her more in Oz than anything else. 

In the US it didn't fare well but lack of radio support didn't help and the backlash led by Perez Hilton didn't help much. Plus to be honest the bigger mistake was the front cover of the Hard Candy album. It will always get my vote as her worst album cover ever. 

I also think her image during the promo (excluding the 4 minutes video) was so Beverly Hills housewife all while she was trying to push an urban flavoured dance album. I remember the BET interview being the moment I felt the whole era was so disingenuous and that is why I am convinced to this day it was another reactionary album, after Confessions failed to get her US commercial success.

So single choices were not her biggest problem back then, at least not for me. Give It 2 Me is a decent song and I still enjoy it.

lmao

not Pharrell (producer of G2M)
use almost the identical sound 5 years later and got a monster WW smash 

successful singles of 50+ age artist ?

the most oldest female artist that tops  US POP Airplay (SINCE 1992)  was Sia 40 yo and M Brooks  with "BItch" 39 yo

3rd place belongs to M "Take A Bow" 36 yo

At that time Gaga and Rihanna were doing high profile videos, in the era of Youtube, and Madonna was obsessed with hats, short wigs, black and white and also white toilet walls (Celebration too). No wonder why people lost interest in Give it 2 me with that white toilet wall, when you had Just dance, Poker face or Paparazzi videos everywhere. 

Madonna had an amazing body shape at that time, and the boxing theme was only connected to the era with the Die another day 2008 backdrop for S&S. The rest was cheap, but the Give it 2 me did well considering everything of what I've said before. It just needed better promo, artworks, concrete theme etc. I'm not even going to talk about Miles Away. 

Celebration with the album version a good video could be even better, but then she came with the mastering horror Revolver and Give me all your luving (the video was good though). Too much crap in a lapse of 4 years. 

GI2M was actually fire.  The video was ehhh.  She looked amazing but we all want the world to combust during a Madonna video and that simply did not happen.  I believe that she was just sick of Warner Brothers and held back on the artistic and financial investment.  I also think that she was emulating some golden era actress or model but the reference was lost on the general public and most of her fan base.  Undoubtedly, GI2M would have been a huge hit if she had been under 30 or if she had paid for the hit like Beiber, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa and others do.  Warner wasn't gonna do that so it did not happen.

17 minutes ago, Sultrysully said:

GI2M was actually fire.  The video was ehhh.  She looked amazing but we all want the world to combust during a Madonna video and that simply did not happen.  I believe that she was just sick of Warner Brothers and held back on the artistic and financial investment.  I also think that she was emulating some golden era actress or model but the reference was lost on the general public and most of her fan base.  Undoubtedly, GI2M would have been a huge hit if she had been under 30 or if she had paid for the hit like Beiber, Ariana Grande, Dua Lipa and others do.  Warner wasn't gonna do that so it did not happen.

What do you mean by paid for the hit?

1 hour ago, nito84bcn said:

At that time Gaga and Rihanna were doing high profile videos, in the era of Youtube, and Madonna was obsessed with hats, short wigs, black and white and also white toilet walls (Celebration too)

This. Katy and Gaga (mostly) really set a high level for mvs, from great visuals to iconic and provocative stuff, and right in that time M started to go basic and low budget :Madonna048:

Not to mention every video that came out was already in 720-1080p and Celebration was 240p why:rip:

3 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

Many record companies actually pay for play.  Cash actually is exchanged for air time.  That is one of the reasons that the same cluster of songs is played over and over.  

So true - in a way she did that with GMAYL - there was a deal with the radio servicing place to play it a certain number of times - hence why it debuted at No. 10.

Give It 2 Me was huge in Europe, TOP 10 in UK, in Spain on the radio was played a lot, even remixes. There's life after billboard.

Give It 2 Me is a hit, just not a BB hit

I have to laught how a song that is very successful in Continental Europe, Uk, Asia, Oz, Canada and LA but no in USA is a flop and when a song is a hit in US but unknown everywhere else is THE BIGGEST HIT OF ALL TIME. Excuse me no, maybe is the biggest market but not the only market or more important than the rest of entire world together. Taylor and Mariah know a lot about this (with all the respect to them and the great USA)