Did Give 2 To Me destroy any chances of successful future Madonna singles?

Aaron Evans

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

It's AL era that killed her US singles releases.

The rest of the world were not bothered by AL and she continued to enjoy single/album success until she left WB.

I was going to say this although Hung Up and 4 Minutes were huge hits in the US. Hung Up could've been bigger here if radio had played it. It sold so well both retail and digital but could never catch up due to radio play. It even went down on the charts at one point then managed to go back up. Ahh...so nerve wracking. 

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Give it 2 Me ruined any momentum in the US for Hard Candy, should've been a different choice maybe Heartbeat or Beat Goes On. Celebration was able to chart in the US with no promo for the song. 

It's a good song but not a second single song. I agree that Beat Goes On might've worked better as second followed by Heartbeat as third. If they slightly remixed She's Not Me to hit harder like it did on the S&S Tour then it would've worked amazingly as a single with a stellar video. I imagine a mix of what she did on S&S and what Mel C did in her Who I Am video.  To be honest to me, most of the album sounds unfinished. Like they were the demo tracks for Madonna to record her vocals on but they never went back and edited them. 

2 hours ago, dontmindus said:

Gimme All Your Luvin and Bitch I'm Madonna were the ones that actually help to ruin her reputation =( 

Gimme All Your Luvin didn't really help ruin her reputation, it just set the wrong tone for MDNA. Now Bitch I'm Madonna didn't help her public image. 

5 hours ago, dontmindus said:

GI2M is a great song. The lack of good promotion during Hard Candy/Celebration was a shame. I think it was a difficult time for her, being recently divorced and all...

Gimme All Your Luvin and Bitch I'm Madonna were the ones that actually help to ruin her reputation =( 

Uh BIM actually charted and did better than the other singles off RH lol and that's because BIM was NEVER sent to radio in the US (correct me if im wrong)

On 12/12/2021 at 8:32 AM, Aaron Evans said:

I don’t like that song as the follow-up to “4 Minutes”. The instrumental sounds like it came from an early 2000s video game, and is thus too cheap-sounding (not “cheesy” cheap, but cheap cheap) for chart material. I can understand why Madonna never had a major worldwide hit after that, and don’t blame it on her switching labels for MDNA.

Hated it too back then and still dislike the production a lot.

Beat Goes On would have been a much better follow up single.

8 minutes ago, lap said:

Give it 2 Me, Miles Away and Celebration were the last Madonna songs I heard on the radio and were popular where I live. 

If Celebration had been properly promoted it could have gotten even higher in the charts. It was a real hit in many countries. I know I keep harping on this, but Interscope was such a disaster for Madonna from a management and promotional standpoint, Warner is already doing a much better job in those departments.

Edited by Blond Ambition (see edit history)

It was her last great remix package/ maxi single imo. 

The Paul Oakenfold mix was what I expected Hard Candy to sound like after Confessions.

I agree with everyone that "Beat Goes On" should have been the second single. It sounds like that's exactly what it was designed to be. Not album filler.

The biggest problem, which people have touched on, was the video. The videos for Hard Candy were a snooze. Just like the second half of the videos for Confessions were criminally bad for such amazing songs, but the flawless tour makes everyone forget that.  

It's been nearly 14 years and I still have yet to see a drag queen do a "Put It In Me" parody :(

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

Uh BIM actually charted and did better than the other singles off RH lol and that's because BIM was NEVER sent to radio in the US (correct me if im wrong)

Some numbers of BIM are actually quite good, like the views on youtube, unfortunely that is not exactly for a good reason... it has a lot to do with the catchy title and celebrity cameos. The BIM performance on Jimmy Fallon was truly awesome, but the official music video didn't work and most people watch thinking WTF. I think that one help to smash the cool and mature image she built with ROL/AL and even COAD, for a lot of people.

Today I love BIM and GMAYL, they are my guilty pleasures. But we know thats not for everybody =(

I still think she is amazing and I love how unpredictable Madonna is to this day. It makes her unique to me. She can create so much and anything is possible. I feel like Madame X was a step in the right direction, I love the music videos, single choices and even the tour edit. About the future, we have to wait and see.

9 hours ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

If Celebration had been properly promoted it could have gotten even higher in the charts. It was a real hit in many countries. I know I keep harping on this, but Interscope was such a disaster for Madonna from a management and promotional standpoint, Warner is already doing a much better job in those departments.

Celebration was released by Warner not Interscope 

10 hours ago, dontmindus said:

Some numbers of BIM are actually quite good, like the views on youtube, unfortunely that is not exactly for a good reason... it has a lot to do with the catchy title and celebrity cameos. The BIM performance on Jimmy Fallon was truly awesome, but the official music video didn't work and most people watch thinking WTF. I think that one help to smash the cool and mature image she built with ROL/AL and even COAD, for a lot of people.

Today I love BIM and GMAYL, they are my guilty pleasures. But we know thats not for everybody =(

I still think she is amazing and I love how unpredictable Madonna is to this day. It makes her unique to me. She can create so much and anything is possible. I feel like Madame X was a step in the right direction, I love the music videos, single choices and even the tour edit. About the future, we have to wait and see.

But it's still being streamed lol and  is in the top 20 of her most streamed songs (number 13 currently) The performance actually really increased the numbers which was i believe the same day or week that Ghosttown MV premiered in April. The remixes and video werent released until June and of course those helped it increase. As for the video only being streamed because of the celebs, I'm sure initially probably but it had legs and is currently at 342 million views. Ghosttown only has 42 million, Living for Love has even less with 36 million. Also both LFL and GT were performed EVERYWHERE and still flopped yet BIM only had one performance. All 3 were also released in that initial EP. 

11 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

i love it. 4 minutes made sense as lead single but i prefer gi2m

needed an alternative pharrel remix though or let timbaland remix it

not releasing beat goes on as a single from hc was really stupid. 

I really hate beat goes on but it definitely would've been a bigger hit and kept up the momentum. I wonder what Candyshop would've done...imagine that alternative universe where it was the lead lol

On 12/13/2021 at 9:32 AM, dontmindus said:

GI2M is a great song. The lack of good promotion during Hard Candy/Celebration was a shame. I think it was a difficult time for her, being recently divorced and all...

I believe during that point of time WB had already been informed she wouldn't be staying with them hence minimum promo were given.

Why would a company allocate more budget for an artist who's leaving them?

3 hours ago, mikeyaj said:

i love it. 4 minutes made sense as lead single but i prefer gi2m

needed an alternative pharrel remix though or let timbaland remix it

not releasing beat goes on as a single from hc was really stupid. 

The 2nd single should've been Across The Sky which I believe she shelved it on purpose to avoid speculation of her ex-marriage.