2022: Madonna's Comeback?

baymad4her

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

And the three of them are absolutely marvelous, and her best selling each of then at their time. The world loves her when she is a normal person. But I don´t think she realises that.

When she was dancing around in the leotard in the Hung Up Video was that being a “normal person” ? 

On 7/2/2022 at 12:55 AM, Drownedboy said:

I will repeat it again, I don´t think it´s ageism as much as bad pieces of work and bad image released again and again...Masive audience saw her singing badly at Eurovision, she should have taken better care of her vocals if she was going to sing in front of such a masive audience. That harm to her proffesional reputation was very very big.

Yes, but I think the ageism hit long before Eurovision.  Maybe if she isn’t as focused, rehearsed and professional now as she was, it’s because she knows no matter how hard she works she won’t have the commercial success she used to. 
So maybe she is like f it, I just want to enjoy myself. 

57 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

When she was dancing around in the leotard in the Hung Up Video was that being a “normal person” ? 

Next to what she is doing lately, oh much more normal, at least for a person who is a pop star: making catchy music with a great look and dancing amazing.

I will tell ya what I consider strange: speaking from a bath with petals of roses about covid philosophy with a strange face that nobody recognises..

The credibility and recognition that it cost her so much to achieve from the beginning of her career and that she was finally able to achieve thanks to Ray of Light, at what point did she lose them?

Madonna was never taken seriously as a singer since she herself caused it thanks to the scandals and controversy, especially this chapter in her life called Erotica that did a lot of damage to her career and made her lose the relevance and popularity that she had for so many years. This is why I consider that her first great comeback to music took place in 1998 with a wonderful album Ray of Light and a more conservative personality that pleased the general public. But over time, the provocative and controversial Madonna would return and this respect would be lost again and worse still, people would begin to reject her for a new reason: she does not behave according to her age.

And we come to 2022, a lot of time has already passed, the public's opinion has not changed yet. Many say that Madonna should retire, that she should leave her place to young artists, that she should behave like someone from 60. What I want is a second comeback in a big way and see her again at the top of the charts, and not just to satisfy the ego of the fans to see their idol "regain her throne" but to demonstrate to all those accustomed to rejecting the strange, the different: that a woman over 60 years old can be successful and continue living life with the same intensity as someone of 30 without being dominated by the stereotypes of society.

10 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Yes, but I think the ageism hit long before Eurovision.  Maybe if she isn’t as focused, rehearsed and professional now as she was, it’s because she knows no matter how hard she works she won’t have the commercial success she used to. 
So maybe she is like f it, I just want to enjoy myself. 

But she could have commercial success if she actually collaborated with big name artists, not nobodies, that no-one has heard of. Imagine if she actually duetted with Lady Gaga, that would be played on the radio. What about Ariana or The Weeknd, even crappy Ed Sheeran.

11 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Not to mention people STILL criticized her wearing leotards and blasted the kaballah imagery etc. Not to mention it was also her coming back to being exciting after the English Roses and Mr Peabodys apples and the Gap stuff and Britney stuff of the AL era.

11 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

And the three of them are absolutely marvelous, and her best selling each of then at their time. The world loves her when she is a normal person. But I don´t think she realises that.

Thanks to god she's not normal. Normal people are boring and basic

33 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

But she could have commercial success if she actually collaborated with big name artists, not nobodies, that no-one has heard of. Imagine if she actually duetted with Lady Gaga, that would be played on the radio. What about Ariana or The Weeknd, even crappy Ed Sheeran.

But that wouldn’t be her success, it would be M piggybacking. She’s done more than enough of that this last few years imo. I’d rather she just go back to what used to be so effortless for her - making amazing music. 

On 7/3/2022 at 8:32 PM, steady75 said:
Madonna sees convention as boring. She only turns to it when the controversial has alienated her.  True Blue / Ray Of Light / Confessions. These are her most conventional records in terms of subject matter… and her most successful in their respective decades. 

I don’t completely agree with you but you forgot Bedtime Stories.

Btw, Ray Of Light was hardly a conventional listen.

9 hours ago, Vasili said:

I don’t completely agree with you but you forgot Bedtime Stories.
Btw, Ray Of Light was hardly a conventional listen.

Yeah I just meant it terms of subject matter (motherhood) and despite its soundscape Ray Of Light had quite a classic sounding palette. By 98 those modern dance chill lounge albums had permeated the norm. Trip hop and dance music dominated the charts and while it was certainly a new sound for Madonna she certainly wasn’t a pioneer in this field at all. All lot of Ray Of Light is mellow downtempo and we were still very much on the safe side ballad Donna. 3 of the singles were downtempo and Little Star was pushed as a double A almost. Nothing Really Matters is actually a very mellow vibey  dance track than a banger. Ray Of Light was the only banger per se. 

Motherhood is pretty universal and something that humanised and desexualised Madonna for the first time Since she fell in love and got married to Sean.
Bedtime Stories laid the groundwork but I always see it as a counterpart to Erotica with the RnB influences. The Bjork single and Human Nature were not exactly universal and we have to twin the era with the Rodman / Tupac and Letterman appearances a few months earlier. She was very much immersed in us hip hop culture with every single being produced by an person of colour. Austin / Dave Hall / Michelle Ndegeocello / Tupac / Babyface / Aaliyah sample / and the obvious Harlem stylings and surroundings in both the Secret and Human Nature video. 
Even though RNB and hip hop were arguably the dominant music genre in the states it wasn’t for a white artist like Madonna who, it could be said, was somewhat problematically playing into a culture that went against the grain, was unconventional and controversial. which after her slapped Wrist after Erotica era probably appealed to her defiant nature, rather than bouncing back to shiny pop etc. Madonna would obviously frame this as being in the company of pioneers and different thinkers who made their own lane after not being accepted as mainstream culture.

So yes even though Bedtime Stories is always seen as her public apology / appeasing record it really isn’t. It’s defiant and bating. Ray Of Light is much more universal and has a more inviting energy. 
In my opinion of course xx 

19 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Yeah I just meant it terms of subject matter (motherhood) and despite its soundscape Ray Of Light had quite a classic sounding palette. By 98 those modern dance chill lounge albums had permeated the norm. Trip hop and dance music dominated the charts and while it was certainly a new sound for Madonna she certainly wasn’t a pioneer in this field at all. All lot of Ray Of Light is mellow downtempo and we were still very much on the safe side ballad Donna. 3 of the singles were downtempo and Little Star was pushed as a double A almost. Nothing Really Matters is actually a very mellow vibey  dance track than a banger. Ray Of Light was the only banger per se. 

Motherhood is pretty universal and something that humanised and desexualised Madonna for the first time Since she fell in love and got married to Sean.
Bedtime Stories laid the groundwork but I always see it as a counterpart to Erotica with the RnB influences. The Bjork single and Human Nature were not exactly universal and we have to twin the era with the Rodman / Tupac and Letterman appearances a few months earlier. She was very much immersed in us hip hop culture with every single being produced by an person of colour. Austin / Dave Hall / Michelle Ndegeocello / Tupac / Babyface / Aaliyah sample / and the obvious Harlem stylings and surroundings in both the Secret and Human Nature video. 
Even though RNB and hip hop were arguably the dominant music genre in the states it wasn’t for a white artist like Madonna who, it could be said, was somewhat problematically playing into a culture that went against the grain, was unconventional and controversial. which after her slapped Wrist after Erotica era probably appealed to her defiant nature, rather than bouncing back to shiny pop etc. Madonna would obviously frame this as being in the company of pioneers and different thinkers who made their own lane after not being accepted as mainstream culture.

So yes even though Bedtime Stories is always seen as her public apology / appeasing record it really isn’t. It’s defiant and bating. Ray Of Light is much more universal and has a more inviting energy. 
In my opinion of course xx 

I agree 100 xr 100. What´s more: on ROL promotion she was absolutely lovely, looking wonderful, very healthy, positive, good vibes all around, likeable and very kind and serene. Combine this with uncomparable music and voice: you´ve got it.

10 hours ago, Daxkoba said:

But that wouldn’t be her success, it would be M piggybacking. She’s done more than enough of that this last few years imo. I’d rather she just go back to what used to be so effortless for her - making amazing music. 

I don't agree, success is success. Artists do it all the time, why is Madonna any different? And those artists get to collaborate with Madonna. She has to do something if she wants to be in the public consciousness again, or maybe she's not that interested.

22 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

Next to what she is doing lately, oh much more normal, at least for a person who is a pop star: making catchy music with a great look and dancing amazing.

I will tell ya what I consider strange: speaking from a bath with petals of roses about covid philosophy with a strange face that nobody recognises..

It would have been considered normal for a younger pop star, but not for someone of her age. Her wearing leotards was criticized a lot at the time. 

9 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

It would have been considered normal for a younger pop star, but not for someone of her age. Her wearing leotards was criticized a lot at the time. 

Not to mention so was her buttonupped childrens book author. Madonna is just one of those people who cannot win. The only difference is now she's old and old people get labeled as crazy or senile and it sticks because ageism isnt taken seriously. I mean look at the whole "ok boomer" retort. Do people honestly think if she dressed like a "normal" 64 year old she would get respect? Do you think if she came out with another LAP that it would be a hit? Do we think if she played it safe and didnt say anything controversial and stayed off social media she would all of a sudden be respected? Absolutely not. She would just be like a Barbara Streisand or a Cher and not get negative comments but just equally ignored. Madonna is Madonna. She's going to keep being herself like it or lump it.

21 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

It is stupid and unnecesary for anybody at any age, she should return to what somebody said here: making great pop music. Period.

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Not to mention so was her buttonupped childrens book author. Madonna is just one of those people who cannot win. The only difference is now she's old and old people get labeled as crazy or senile and it sticks because ageism isnt taken seriously. I mean look at the whole "ok boomer" retort. Do people honestly think if she dressed like a "normal" 64 year old she would get respect? Do you think if she came out with another LAP that it would be a hit? Do we think if she played it safe and didnt say anything controversial and stayed off social media she would all of a sudden be respected? Absolutely not. She would just be like a Barbara Streisand or a Cher and not get negative comments but just equally ignored. Madonna is Madonna. She's going to keep being herself like it or lump it.

She would do better if it didn’t feel forced and contrived. She’s acting like a 16 year old rebelling, not a cool 60 something. Madonna at 30 was more interesting to listen to than Madonna at 64 who’s trying to be a Kardashian. That’s the problem. There are tons of cool, sexy, and respected people in their 60s and older. The issue is Madonna. She seems like someone out of touch, living in a bubble a la Michael Jackson, and very dumbed down. Why and how she sees people like the Kardashians, Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus as contemporaries and interesting, is beyond me. It just devalues her brand. I don’t know who she thinks her target audience is anymore but she’s alienated everyone except the few of us that are left. All that said, Madonna just doesn’t seem like she’s a very happy person these days. Something’s off, something’s missing. 

2 hours ago, drivebitch said:

She would do better if it didn’t feel forced and contrived. She’s acting like a 16 year old rebelling, not a cool 60 something. Madonna at 30 was more interesting to listen to than Madonna at 64 who’s trying to be a Kardashian. That’s the problem. There are tons of cool, sexy, and respected people in their 60s and older. The issue is Madonna. She seems like someone out of touch, living in a bubble a la Michael Jackson, and very dumbed down. Why and how she sees people like the Kardashians, Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus as contemporaries and interesting, is beyond me. It just devalues her brand. I don’t know who she thinks her target audience is anymore but she’s alienated everyone except the few of us that are left. All that said, Madonna just doesn’t seem like she’s a very happy person these days. Something’s off, something’s missing. 

Wah wah wah they said she same thing during Erotica and anytime she was "vulgar" in the 90s. Give it a rest, why are "fans" trying to change her so late in the game. This is who she is and if you don't like her go like someone else. 

PS the most miserable forced and contrived she's ever been were the Guy Ritchie years. Talk about unhappy. 

Stop worrying about ways she could get a hit again because its not going to happen. The frozen stuff led to nothing meaningful just like I predicted. As long as she is disrespected and controversial in the mainstream opinion, there is no chance of her ever doing anything to regain artistic relevance. She does not even have touring credibility anymore (almost unheard of for a legacy artist of such stature) and some of you are still hoping against hope for a chart smash. It took the most viewed super bowl halftime show in history up to that point in order to get her a top ten hit last time. Finally Enough Love will be relatively insignificant in helping her make a comeback in 2022 and we will be lucky if the biopic does not flop at the box office and get critically slammed. Her team should focus all efforts and resources on patching up the bleeding holes in her public image, but I predict that wont happen either because Madonna shows no interest herself and her team are too incompetent to manage these things even if they wanted to.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, Alpha said:
PS the most miserable forced and contrived she's ever been were the Guy Ritchie years. Talk about unhappy. 

What? Go back and rewatch interviews during the golden Guy years and you’ll realize that she’s often beaming and quite content with her family life.

On 7/3/2022 at 6:53 PM, Daxkoba said:

Does she even remember how? It’s been 15 years since she’s put out a great album. She’s had a couple of great songs here and there but the last 4 albums just weren’t it.