2022: Madonna's Comeback?

baymad4her

15 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Some of you speak like she suddenly was a forgotten indie artist with no sales and touring in pubs. But her last studio album was an US #1 and UK #2 and her last tour another success.

Who's her audience? Think of your past Madonna concerts and look around you. Her audience is everyone: the core of it are gay men and women, but also general public, parents with kids, families, etc. That's the beauty of her power and her legacy: music makes the people come together, etc.

No matter what happens, she's always gonna be Madonna and have the amazing legacy she has. She's a living legend, there will always be people interested in what she does. The moment she decides to announce a Greatest Hits tour (if she does ever) it will be a great success. BUT that would be her "playing the game" and we know she doesn't like to do that often.

Some of you are asking her to be different and innovative but playing that game at the same time. And that is a contradiction.

It's not realistic expecting her to be a 20-30 year old version of herself, though, as a touring and commercial force. This is another phase of her life and if you expect that, you're setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Enjoy and appreciate she's still alive and creative and now celebrate her legacy with the reissues and the movie.

I am not asking Madonna to be a 20 or 30 year old version of herself, I am wanting her to act like the legend she is and stop making a fool of herself on social media and tarnishing her reputation. There is nothing creative or artistic about the bullshit she posts, all it does is give low lives the chance to trash her. I want to see her make a comeback and things need to change for that to happen. The movie is most likely going to be a disaster since Madonna herself is micromanaging every aspect of it herself, although I have some hopes for decent reissues in 2022. In regards to Madame X Tour, it was stunning to witness in person, provided you did not show up thinking she was gonna play her classics or be on time. As a fan, I really liked the spectacle and understood what she was going for but it hurt her touring credibility with the average person who is not a Madonna fan.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Some of you speak like she suddenly was a forgotten indie artist with no sales and touring in pubs. But her last studio album was an US #1 and UK #2 and her last tour another success.

They're too busy insisting on the fact she's irrelevant to the market and she ruined her legacy because of her photoshopped insta pics! 1!1!1 :Madonna049:

56 minutes ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

I am not asking Madonna to be a 20 or 30 year old version of herself, I am wanting her to act like the legend she is and stop making a fool of herself on social media and tarnishing her reputation. There is nothing creative or artistic about the bullshit she posts, all it does is give low lives the chance to trash her. I want to see her make a comeback and things need to change for that to happen. The movie is most likely going to be a disaster since Madonna herself is micromanaging every aspect of it herself, although I have some hopes for decent reissues in 2022. In regards to Madame X Tour, it was stunning to witness in person, provided you did not show up thinking she was gonna play her classics or be on time. As a fan, I really liked the spectacle and understood what she was going for but it hurt her touring credibility with the average person who is not a Madonna fan.

OK but this is your point of view and/or expectations of how she should use her Instagram and present herself. Basically you want her to be the way you want her to be and that's not... very healthy in the end? Cause she's gonna keep doing her thing and you're gonna keep disliking it. So if you don't like what you see, it would be better to look anywhere else.

I don't know. Instagram killed the enigmatic popstar, yes... but maybe she's always been this way and the only difference is we see it in real time now? We'll never know.

I agree with you about the issues with the last tour (and previously) though, I'll never say that being so late so many times is OK and of course it damages her reputation. But let's keep in mind she was injured during the last tour. That, added to the now regular touring issues, was the perfect storm and quite unfortunate. It was a mess, basically.

Let's try to be positive for the future, anyway. Her new press team is doing a great job (she's getting more positive press than ever in the recent years), Warner seems to be helping her with her music and profile again (the new "Frozen" remix is now 2 million streams on Spotify in just 2 weeks), the reissues look promising and now she's better she should be able to tour again in the future, of course not a Blond Ambition Tour type of show but at least Madame X level, which was quite good in combining dance numbers with more laidback stuff. It's gonna be OK. :)

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

OK but this is your point of view and/or expectations of how she should use her Instagram and present herself. Basically you want her to be the way you want her to be and that's not... very healthy in the end? Cause she's gonna keep doing her thing and you're gonna keep disliking it. So if you don't like what you see, it would be better to look anywhere else.

I don't know. Instagram killed the enigmatic popstar, yes... but maybe she's always been this way and the only difference is we see it in real time now? We'll never know.

I agree with you about the issues with the last tour (and previously) though, I'll never say that being so late so many times is OK and of course it damages her reputation. But let's keep in mind she was injured during the last tour. That, added to the now regular touring issues, was the perfect storm and quite unfortunate. It was a mess, basically.

Let's try to be positive for the future, anyway. Her new press team is doing a great job (she's getting more positive press than ever in the recent years), Warner seems to be helping her with her music and profile again (the new "Frozen" remix is now 2 million streams on Spotify in just 2 weeks), the reissues look promising and now she's better she should be able to tour again in the future, of course not a Blond Ambition Tour type of show but at least Madame X level, which was quite good in combining dance numbers with more laidback stuff. It's gonna be OK. :)

Do you know if the Frozen Sickick remix sales gets added to the original Frozen release? 

56 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

Do you know if the Frozen Sickick remix sales gets added to the original Frozen release? 

No idea, really, sorry. I think in the US all sales from versions of the same song, including remixes, are added to the main?

I guess we'll know in the next few months if the remix explodes!

8 hours ago, Andreo said:

They're too busy insisting on the fact she's irrelevant to the market and she ruined her legacy because of her photoshopped insta pics! 1!1!1 :Madonna049:

Her legacy has already been secured, once she dies everyone is gonna be up in arms about how revolutionary she was. I just want to see her have some relevance again while she is still alive.

7 hours ago, Prayer said:

I say positive things about Madonna all the time on this forum, but the topic is concerning her comeback and if making one is possible. I am perfectly aware she can be whatever she wants to be, but I was outlining things that I feel need to change if we want to see her recapture a spotlight with the general public, I am a realist, not someone who blindly hopes for everything to go hunky dory in the future.

I am pretty sure that Madonna could have a hit again... she just needs to focus on giving the public what they want... and not on what on what she wants to give them... general public does not want Dark Ballet, Holey water type of songs but Hung up, Dress you up etc. type of songs ;-)

45 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

I'm hoping the Sickick remix of Frozen gives Madonna a resurgence in the charts, I've got high hopes for the full remix to do well when it's released.

Oh I nearly forgot about that but now that you mention it, im wondering when they are gonna release it. Its crazy how many streams the partial version already has on Spotify.

4 minutes ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

Oh I nearly forgot about that but now that you mention it, im wondering when they are gonna release it. Its crazy how many streams the partial version already has on Spotify.

I imagine they will release it after Christmas when all the bloody Christmas songs have gone.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:04 AM, baymad4her said:

I'm so disappointed that I never see Madonna in the charts anymore.

In the UK, every greatest hits album is in the charts, month after month, even Eminem's greatest hits is there. The Immaculate Collection is nowhere to be seen, this album should be in the charts every week. 

On the singles chart; Elton John has just had his second number one of the year, in a couple of weeks he will have his third. The last time Madonna had a top 10 in the UK was in 2009, with Celebration, which reached number 3. I can't help thinking there's a bit of misogyny going on there, when Madonna collaborates with younger artists, she's called desperate, when Elton John does it, he's applauded.

It feels like everyone has forgotten about her and everything that she has achieved. I'm really hoping 2022 is Madonna's comeback, with the biopic and expanded albums. 

What does everyone else think?

Well I believe there was a full on manipulative assault by certain people in the music industry in the last decade and unfortunality there are plenty of takers out there.

I never dreamed there were that many Madonna fans so easily led but also, in other news, I never dreamed that many Americans were so susceptible to manipulation. Still can't believe it. 

3 hours ago, LikeAMelody said:

Well I believe there was a full on manipulative assault by certain people in the music industry in the last decade and unfortunality there are plenty of takers out there.

I never dreamed there were that many Madonna fans so easily led but also, in other news, I never dreamed that many Americans were so susceptible to manipulation. Still can't believe it. 

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain more?

39 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

When are we gonna hear about these bloody expanded albums, I hope it's before Christmas ?

The whole music industry is traditionally "closed" for Christmas for the next 10-15 days. If there's any announcement it will be in January-February 2022. :cute: For instance, if "Like A Prayer" is coming in March, we should expect an announcement and pre-order on January, I think.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:11 AM, Prayer said:

100% agree. Plus no one asks Elton why he's still making music, for instance.

I don't know, her new team seems to be doing a good work. Her press coverage during the last few months have been much better than in the previous years. With that, coming back to Warner and the biopic, I think she will be fine.

I agree. Warner is giving her the recognition she deserves. I'm surprised Crave didn't get radio attention -- love that song. 

I guess she's right, if your an older woman, you don't get played on the radio. Clearly the above argument is correct. Elton John sucks. Saw him in concert. Left halfway through. Boring af.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:33 AM, HampusFL said:

I am pretty sure that Madonna could have a hit again... she just needs to focus on giving the public what they want... and not on what on what she wants to give them... general public does not want Dark Ballet, Holey water type of songs but Hung up, Dress you up etc. type of songs ;-)

Precisely! 

She was written off by most before she released Ray of Light  - and that was so successful because the music just slayed, no one was expecting it to be any good and took everyone by surprise because the music was so brilliant and she had a likeable persona again

Exactly the same for Confessions

Totally agree with the post if she gave the public what they wanted and really tried to make a truly 'great' album the music would speak for itself and would overshadow all the other barriers people are mentioning. Sorry but her last 'great' record was Confessions, her last 'good' record was Hard Candy  and the last three albums have just been forgettable with no outstanding track on them and many crap ones that people are not interested in

Think now she is back with Warners if she wants a big comeback she can do it but the foundation has to be an amazingly brillianyt studio album giving the public what they want along the lines of Ray of Light classy electronic much of Confessions uptempo house/dance - not the EDM trash sound of MDNA or the Kayne style beats of the last 2 albums

If she takes her time - really tries and listens to new classy dance/house/electronic music producers and works with one of them she could make something that would give her the comeback we all want to see.  Songs that are catchy and cool at the same time that you can't get out your head  - like all of her music pre MDNA

For me she would be beneficiated of: a more natural look, a less sexually agresive look, taking care of hervery beautiful voice on studio and live, doing some emotional ballads, some catchy simply feel good dance music, saying normal things on interviews, no grillz, no fake ass. I would be more than happy. Yes, she has the righ to do what she chooses and she will be the legend she is anyway, but I also can express what I would love her to do. 

Edited by Drownedboy (see edit history)

I think the biopic is going to do even more damage to her image. I honestly don't see her having a proper comeback until she's done with that and gets on to a new album, and even that'll be an uphill battle as she seems to keep working with people who either churn out songs that could be sung by anyone or people like Mirwais, who is beyond played out. I think she'll eventually have a comeback, the way fans want, but not for a very long time.  At this point, Patrick Leonard is the only resource she has to really blow people away again. He gets her and they work wonderfully together when it comes to melody and lyrics. Having Pat on board with a new producer would be the way to go. Whether or not she's willing to do that remains to be seen. She seems to continuously self-sabotage herself and her career. 

People saying Elton hitting the charts again this year and Madonna’s not because of sexism just makes me roll my eyes so hard. He’s always been great at partnering with others artists and reinventing his old songs. From working with RuPaul, George Michael or even Eminem. His upcoming duets album includes Gorillaz, Charlie Puth and Lil Nas X.

All this while Madonna’s current focus is… a rift with 50 Cent

D31D742E-3590-47C6-968C-ADB0F6EE230B.jpeg

On 12/14/2021 at 1:43 PM, Ziggy Stardust said:

She needs a reinvention in 2022 to act as damage control if we want any hope of chart success ever again. She has lost respect in the public eye. In terms of touring, a greatest hits tour that coincides with the biopic and reissues is her last real chance for a comeback. If she and her team fuck this up, It is very unlikely that she will be relevant again till she dies. I know Madonna though and I am worried that she wont reinvent because she has stopped caring as much about her career any more and seems to be going through something of a rebellious phase. And someone for the love of God, take the girls phone away! such regular use of social media has been nothing short of a disaster for her, it has ruined the mystery that was so central to Madonna's appeal and image.

As long as Covid is around and countries continue to go in lockdown, a Greatest Hits tour is unlikely. I don't know if she still has the stamina for a show of that magnitude anymore. Madonna needed a hip replacement after the last one. I don't think she should be chasing hits, looking to get on charts - that's usually where everything goes wrong - rather, she should focus on actually crafting a timeless album again. She seems to be in this rebellious phase again, even though she's not really rebelling against social norms, rather she's turning into Edina Monsoon. 

Madonna really wasn't rewritten off before Ray of Light. Bedtime Stories restored her image, and Evita really helped her career. People were actually pining for a new Madonna album by the time Ray of Light was released. She had totally reinvented her image before that. I think Madonna's biggest crime right now when it comes to the public is that she's gotten boring. She seems stuck. It also doesn't help that this all plays out on Instagram. She seems to be in a very regressive mode. I don't know. I just don't buy the age thing. There have been plenty of women who are/were her age, are/were well-respected, and are actually cool. People really aren't into Kardashian Madonna. She should be beyond that. I heard one person say, She really needs to grow up, and before I could say anything, I stopped and thought, They're kind of right. Growing up doesn't mean you can't be adventurous or sexy or sexual, but with Madonna it doesn't come across as genuine. She's giving us the same nonsense that we can get from some random TikToker. She doesn't seem worldly or interested in anything other than being like a 20-year-old tryhard social influencer. At 63, we were expecting something interesting, something deeper. Madonna of the 90s was way more interesting than Madonna of the 2010s/2020s, even with all the controversy.  She seemed direct and sophisticated, ahead of her time, diving into thing others weren't.  Madonna of today is wearing Rick and Morty t-shirts and smoking bongs with a 20-something year old boyfriend. It's all backwards. 

39 minutes ago, drivebitch said:

Madonna really wasn't rewritten off before Ray of Light. Bedtime Stories restored her image, and Evita really helped her career. People were actually pining for a new Madonna album by the time Ray of Light was released. She had totally reinvented her image before that. 

I agree to be fair she did totally re-invent herself after the Erotica era with those projects and restored her popularity  - but I think after Bedtime Stories, An album of ballads with Something To Remember and then the Andrew Lloyd Webber music with Evita and saying in an interview in that period that techno music = death  -  people were  expecting something slowed down along the lines of Celine Dion and maybe a bit dull and low key and not something as fresh, new, cool, different and exciting as what she delivered with Ray of Light.  I think the general public were ready to embrace and be into Madonna again and wanted a good new Madonna album thanks to her re-building her image with Evita, Something To Remember and Bedtime Stories  - and she more than delivered it with Ray of Light. When Frozen went straight to number 1 in the singles charts in the UK I think her previous number one before that in the UK might have been Vogue?

59 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

I agree to be fair she did totally re-invent herself after the Erotica era with those projects and restored her popularity  - but I think after Bedtime Stories, An album of ballads with Something To Remember and then the Andrew Lloyd Webber music with Evita and saying in an interview in that period that techno music = death  -  people were  expecting something slowed down along the lines of Celine Dion and maybe a bit dull and low key and not something as fresh, new, cool, different and exciting as what she delivered with Ray of Light.  I think the general public were ready to embrace and be into Madonna again and wanted a good new Madonna album thanks to her re-building her image with Evita, Something To Remember and Bedtime Stories  - and she more than delivered it with Ray of Light. When Frozen went straight to number 1 in the singles charts in the UK I think her previous number one before that in the UK might have been Vogue?

Yes, her last number one in the UK, before Frozen, was Vogue. 

The thing you guys are missing right now is the fact that back in those days, Madonna was much more relevant than she is now. Comebacks were possible then because of her mass appeal, despite outrage from conservatives. Now, I feel like her spell is broken, she has tons of fame these days but little influence or power. I dont care about her having hits, I just want good music. If she does want to achieve some relevance again however, she should stop self destructing with the Kardashian behavior on social media, nobody thinks its sexy or art as she likes to claim. We need a good reinvention and a good album with decent promotion this time, that is her only slight chance for another hit and it better come soon because she is not getting any younger.

Think she also needs a PR person as good as Liz Rosenberg and a better manager like Freddy DeMann, Carrese or Angela Becker and willing to take their advice 

Reading these posts I think most people agree for a come back/chance of another hit she needs to come up with better music that is geared to what people want to hear from her and make herself more likeable again by stopping all these cringe social media posts.  I think back in the 90s she really wanted to remain popular and had Freddy Demann as her manager and Liz Rosenberg and between 1994 and 1998 she slowly undone the damage that the Erotica period had done regardless of how good the album was the media and general public were tired of her and her sex sex sex persona  - maybe the difference now is that she claims that she does not care about being popular anymore so may not have the same drive to do what it takes - but maybe she will realise she is not disturbing the peace as an artist as the general public are no longer paying attention because the music from the last 3 albums has had zero impact with them - I think she would disturb the peace alot more if the music was better and she had people's attention again