Madonna pop star or artist?

Lucky90210

12 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Kylie is an artist. Fine art. Art that should be in museums.

sure - that christmas album she did was pure art and not to mention the countless disco tracks she keeps putting out to keep the gays happy :) that is not art ..my opinion of course 
shes had her moments though when she copied madonna in the 90s lol 

she ponders to her fan base way too much and that is not art in my opinion - what belongs in a museum ..the locomotion ?

reading the posts by the fan who posted this i feel he is desperately wanting madonna to go all disco pop fancy dress happy songs that just make people want to dance - id say kylie is more for him if he is sick of madonna the artist so much that he feels that she excuses herself and her charting with " im a artist " this is what i admire about madonna ..she does not ponder to her fanbase i dont think she ever has to be honest - that is a artist 

Edited by beautifulkiller (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, beautifulkiller said:

sure - that christmas album she did was pure art and not to mention the countless disco tracks she keeps putting out to keep the gays happy :) that is not art ..my opinion of course 
shes had her moments though when she copied madonna in the 90s lol 

she ponders to her fan base way too much and that is not art in my opinion - what belongs in a museum ..the locomotion ?

reading the posts by the fan who posted this i feel he is desperately wanting madonna to go all disco pop fancy dress happy songs that just make people want to dance - id say kylie is more for him if he is sick of madonna the artist so much that he feels that she excuses herself and her charting with " im a artist " this is what i admire about madonna ..she does not ponder to her fanbase i dont think she ever has to be honest - that is a artist 

Confessions was pandering?

9 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Confessions was pandering?

i would not say so , id say it was still art - issac , like it or not , forbidden love - the tour itself was also a work of art ...you really think she would make what she believes to be a follow up to american life if she was pondering to her fan base lol she knew it was never going to be commercial but she did it anyway :) she may put out the odd dance track though like god control which i also think is hilarious because its so funky and disco yet its not about dancing at all - i like kylie but she never has anything to say - she is very how can i put this ...SAFE .... nothing wrong with that though 

Edited by beautifulkiller (see edit history)

Safe is basically the name of the game when it comes to music in general and the ones who take risks and continually innovate are the ones who usually end up going down in the history books as something special. Kylie is about as safe as one could get and that is not meant as shade, it just is what is is. I enjoy her music at times but she is no Madonna, Bowie or Prince. I see her a bit like Adele in that nothing she does is very innovative or creatively fresh but she knows that fans will keep coming back for the same thing they expect from her albums. Although it can get very stale for some people, her approach is not exactly a bad thing, it just ensures that she will never be thought of as a groundbreaking artist in any way.

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

Art is the conversation that happens afterwards. It doesn’t matter who the artist is, a discussion always follows ?

Yeah but a mentality like that creates the mindset that we can call any piece of crap art just because people are talking about it afterwards. Donald Trumps speeches got a lot of people talking but that does not mean it is great art. The same thing goes for Madonna's wretched social media these days. Honestly, social media as a whole is one of the most pathetic things in existence that people waste time on. In regards to Kylie, I am getting very fucked tired of the same old sound being thrown up time and time again with each album, atleast Madonna is usually trying to experiment in some way, even if we get the occasional Bitch Im Loca??

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

One does not exclude the other. In fact being a pop artist is an art category. 

Indeed it's a example of semantics. A pop star defines a pop artist that outshines in their category.

A pop artist is an artist that appeals to the general public and uses popular topics in their work: love, war, friendship..

An artist is someone that creates by artistic ways: music, dance, photography, painting.. a creative that uses art to express themself

There's no dichotomy. Being a Pop star could be  part of being an artist.

Madonna is an artist, a pop artist and a pop star.

why-dont.gif

She's both, as she herself has implied in 1989. “I consider it a challenge to make a commercial that has some sort of artistic value. I like the challenge of merging art and commerce".

And there's also that famous Like A Prayer quote by Rolling Stone magazine "As for her image, well, you may see her navel on the inner sleeve, but what you hear once you get inside the package is as close to art as pop music gets".

Madonna has built a career out of experimentation and taking risks but she is also as mainstream and popular as it gets ("Queen Of Pop"). Her shows are full of artistic references but they're also accessible enough to connect with the masses. This is not a recent occurrence. She has always managed to mix art and commerce, just take a look at her Warhol-inspired True Blue album cover or her classic music videos.

51 minutes ago, madaboutM said:

She’s the ultimate show-girl that has worked with VERY talented artists along the years. She creates fantastic pop content too but no, she’s not an artist in the sense she wants to present herself with her “#revolutionoflove” and “artists are here to blah blah” scenarios. 

if you say soo 

She is a musical artist. People try to categorize her as just a pop star even after almost 40 years into her career. Pop star usually has a association with being manufactured. Think of the TRL era and Britney Spears with a cookie cutter image not in control of her own career. M has been in control of her image since the beginning. Sometimes it works in her favor and sometimes she receives backlash. It's expected that as you get older you're supposed to conform to how society expects you to behave for your age. M is still unapologetic and that is unappealing to some people.

It seems that sometimes her own fans forget she came up around artists, the creative east village scene. That's one reason why I'm glad she'll emphasizes her early career in her film. I think if Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat were around they'd vouch that she was never your average pop star, she was one of them, only her creative outlet was music. She set the blueprint by infusing art into music and taking risks. 

Edited by Luci nln (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, Luci nln said:

She is a musical artist. People try to categorize her as just a pop star even after almost 40 years into her career. Pop star usually has a association with being manufactured. Think of the TRL era and Britney Spears with a cookie cutter image not in control of her own career. M has been in control of her image since the beginning. Sometimes it works in her favor and sometimes she receives backlash. It's expected that as you get older you're supposed to conform to how society expects you to behave for your age. M is still unapologetic and that is unappealing to some people.

It seems that sometimes her own fans forget she came up around artists, the creative east village scene. That's one reason why I'm glad she'll emphasizes her early career in her film. I think if Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat were around they'd vouch that she was never your average pop star, she was one of them, only her creative outlet was music. She set the blueprint by infusing art into music and taking risks. 

She calls herself a performance artist and she hopes that she is not just seen as a pop star 

23 minutes ago, beautifulkiller said:

She calls herself a performance artist and she hopes that she is not just seen as a pop star 

Performing artist is accurate as well. Everything else I stated is still valid because the point is she is an artist. She has already proven through her body of work that she's not just a pop star.