Your opinion on Erotica?

50ft Queenie

Im very curious to see what everyone thinks about this album as a whole and which tracks you especially enjoy. For me Erotica is not only the greatest of Madonna's albums, but in the top ten records ever made my a pop artist. The word masterpiece is thrown around way too freely but this album really makes for such an incredible listening experience. Madonna is at her best here, utterly fearless and artistically controversial. Two of my favorite tracks are Erotica and Rain but I have a hard time picking any that I like best because the whole thing blends together so perfectly. Its the reissue that I am looking forward to more than any other.

Erotica_Madonna.png

Definitely in my top 5 fave M albums - i wasnt a huge fan upon first hearing in '92, especially the andre betts tracks(Madonna and bass jazz ?? i didnt think so at the time) but now they have grown on me and love them - the only track i just dont get is fever - it feels out of place maybe because its a cover song and i think the production on it is very cheap. she should have used a shorter edit of shame instead which i adore. hard to pick a fave track but gun to my head is probably Rain, followed by bad girl and words. I think the spoken outro on words is one of the best things shes ever written and im surprised its never been used on her tours during a backdrop or an intro.

The videos are in another league though - Rain and Bad Girl are just masterpieces and sorely need of a remaster - hopefully one day we can them :) looking forward to what she does with the re-issued version :) xx just dont fuck it up M !!

My favorite album! I think it's perfect from start to finish.
Impossible to pick a favorite track... Maybe "Deeper and Deeper" and "Bad Girl", these two songs "knocked me down" when I heard it in 1992 when I was ten years old.
I would cut "Did You Do It?" and perhaps included "Goodbye To Innocence" or "Shame".

I think it's terribly overrated. Even in 1992 I wasn't very impressed and my opinion has not changed after all these years. Almost all songs sound the same and I get quite bored when listening from start to finish. It has a few great songs though. 

Top tier:

Deeper and Deeper 

Bad Girl

Rain

Middle tier:

Erotica 

Fever 

Bye Bye Baby 

Why's It So Hard 

Words

Bottom tier:

Where Life Begins 

Waiting 

Thief of Hearts 

In This Life 

Should never exist to human kind:

Did You Do It 

Secret Garden 

1 hour ago, musicinferno said:

I think it's terribly overrated. Even in 1992 I wasn't very impressed and my opinion has not changed after all these years. Almost all songs sound the same and I get quite bored when listening from start to finish. It has a few great songs though. 

Top tier:

Deeper and Deeper 

Bad Girl

Rain

Middle tier:

Erotica 

Fever 

Bye Bye Baby 

Why's It So Hard 

Words

Bottom tier:

Where Life Begins 

Waiting 

Thief of Hearts 

In This Life 

Should never exist to human kind:

Did You Do It 

Secret Garden 

Whattt!!!! ?‍♂️

Masterpiece - love it.  I think it's an album she made for her fans

So many single worthy songs, amazing videos and the first album where she got several remixes done for the maxi singles for each single that totally re-invented the song by top DJs like Masters At Work, David Morales, Murk plus She Pettbone's own re-arrangements not just extension of the album version   - perhaps Justify My Love William Orbit remix was the first?w

She was utterly fearless at the time and fascinating

Standout tracks for me  - Rain, Bad Girl, Deeper and Deeper, Whys It So Hard, Fever, Erotica, Waiting 

I love how it works as a entire set to listen to and how sonically it's more gritty and club sounding (at the time) compared to previous album with a heavy influence of house music.  The arrangements on Bad Girl and Rain are just incredible and don't get tired of hearing them - the way Bed Girl builds and builds throughout makes it such and engaging song  - obviously they are not dance tracks but you can feel the dance music influence in how they been constructed in their arrangements - hard to explain!

I love her vocals on this album she sounds so good and really puts the songs across so well that you feel them   - thank god she did not fall in love with autotune and vocoder until after this album was made.  

It's a very Madonna album - one of her very best - so creative and artistic will brilliant songs

Also was her first real move away from the mainstream pop sound 

There's the Madonna albums that I find very enjoyable and the ones that inspire awe in me and Erotica is one of latter. I think it's a great record but not the one I could listen to entirely for many times from start to finish, mostly due to the genre(s).

Her lyrics make me blush, the music to touch myself but essentially it is an album about trying to find love. She started this with Like A Prayer, trying to find it in God and family, now she's looking for it in other people, lovers and society.

My favorite songs have got to be Erotica, Deeper and deeper, Rain, Bad Girl for the sound and Why's it so hard, Where life begins and Secret Garden for the lyrics. I adore how almost every title is a blatant sexual reference or an innuendo. 

Def top 3 material by her!

Erotica wasn't well received "back in the day." I remember buying the erotica single when it first came out. It was my jam. Then Deeper and Deeper. Blah blah blah. 

Erotica is such a Madonna classic, and I rated it my TOP Madonna Album. I still enjoy Waiting (Remix), Erotica, and Deeper. 

Rob

15 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

Erotica wasn't well received "back in the day." I remember buying the erotica single when it first came out. It was my jam. Then Deeper and Deeper. Blah blah blah. 

Erotica is such a Madonna classic, and I rated it my TOP Madonna Album. I still enjoy Waiting (Remix), Erotica, and Deeper. 

Rob

You got great taste, Rob! ?

My favourite from the day it came out.

What stands out with this album is the amount of writing, the lyrics. And how emotional and personal they get.

It's raw and powerful. Erotica, Waiting, Words and Secret Garden my top choices. But I love Thieves, Fever, Deeper, Bye , Bad Girl... interestingly, Rain is not the one I like the most. it's a great song, video and lyrics, I just not into it that much.

It does'nt bother me Did you do it and it makes sense why is there but I will always crave Goodbye to Innocence.

I dun really like it when it first came out and used to skip a few songs (WLB, ITL, WISH, DYDI, SG)

But it gets better along the way and now I dun skip anything at all.

PS: I can totally get why TUTBMP was excluded 'cos it doesn't fit.

Couldn't say the same for AL & all-LN-era-albums. 

Edited by LongIslandTea (see edit history)

Never quite liked it. Some songs are ok, but to me it lacks: soul, emotion, tenderness, warm, strong melodies, catchy chorus and good vocals. It is too long, and there is a sameness thorugh it that makes me get bored. And what´s more, an album called erotica but very few of it is sexy or sensual to my ears. Said that, there are some songs and videos from that era quite ok, and that I would play here and there: Rain, Words, Bad girl video..or deeper and deeper. But I started my fandom with ROL and this was the record of her that I liked the least when revisiting, but now I must say it´s Madame x and it´s really the same: too long, sameness, not very good melodies, not very good vocal and most of all: cold.