MEGARATE: Like a Virgin era [Results Show - Recap on first page]

Curtains

1 hour ago, Pretender1978 said:

To add, with M's later records I don't mean MX, that is true glory! So for anyone coming for me and my stay stanning, I am that person that believes I'm Breathless is an album, American Life is a masterpiece and confessions damage control, and yes, believes MX is top tier Madonna

If Confessions was damage control, we need quality like that again for her next album

1 hour ago, Pretender1978 said:

So let's go into pretender and stay defence mode and throw shoo bee doo in there as well ;-) To me most of the b-side of the record (not including ITG) showcases M's signature melodies and gives her voice more room to shine than anywhere else on the record. It is also the only place where we get real bridges and mid8's, something 80's Madonna excells at. Listening now during these ratings, LAV seems very much a calculated record designed to catapult her right between Prince and Michael. The three big singles were very succesful in solidifying her image, musically they are less impressive, even though DYU will always glitter in my ears nothing can forgive the mediocrity of that guitar solo. It all feels very constrained and designed for mass appeal. So on side A that leaves LDLHA, which is another song not penned by her, and though it's nice, soul it ain't, OAO, which I used to like now is a bit thin, but it's enjoyable, so that leaves the only real gem of side A, Angel, which soars, and what else? there is a bridge, albeit not the best one of M's canon but at least there is one. So LAV to me is a bit like M's later records, a bunch of bought singles and a batch of self written tracks that are far superior

LAV is an inferior album to TB and LAP in every way and that includes songwriting, music videos and instrumentation. Like a Prayer was the album that made critics take notice of her artistic abilities. The fact that she relied so heavily on her image at the start was both a gift and a curse, it gave her mass appeal but also meant critics were quick to dismiss her as an image with little substance, she was held in such disdain by many of her peers in 1985 that Michael and Lionel did not even invite her to participate in We are the World, which is kinda ironic because the song they came up was a crappy karaoke number that Cyndi Lauper ended up hating to sing and Prince thought it was so trash he refused to even attend the sessions. Dress You Up is a fun track but that guitar solo is nothing short of pathetic. Some older fans are so hung up on Nostalgia that they constantly hold LAV in high regard, when in reality it is her worst 80's album in my opinion. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Curtains

Hi everyone ! Since we'll soon be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Madonna's career (!!), and due to popular demand, I'll organize a megarate for every single Madonna album. Let's now see how the tracks from the Like a Virgin era compete with each other. As requested by most users who participated in other games, non-album tracks from the same era will also be included.   Rules: - Make sure to know all the songs included in the competition. - Rate each song from

Curtains

Might be interested... @Holger, @Fernando, @PanditaRulez, @Unruhe, @Fabiolous, @mirtillo, @MisterMistere, @EgoRod, @Andreo, @cybertotor, @chipie, @Room977, @Inco, @voguemadonna, @Enrico, @LuckyBorderline, @Robertson II, @HC Charge, @TOpher, @Voguerista, @jesus, @Tony Fortin, @RUADJAI, @Danton, @Polaris, @lucasciccone, @AntiSkilled, @migsou, @MadonnasPussy, @patrice1711, @desperateK, @Pretender1978, @konfideinmenow, @mcat, @Leandro Gomes, @Eder Borba, @MadonnaLove, @scamper, @SuperBicycle, @

Curtains

#2 – Dress You Up - Average Rate : 8,87 / 10 - Highest Rate : 11 ( @TOpher, @Andreo, @proxy, @Fabiolous, @Polaris ) - Lowest Rate : 4 ( @Enrico )     #1 – Into the Groove - Average Rate : 9,56 / 10 - Highest Rate : 11 ( @HC Charge, @Dj Garrido, @Tony Fortin, @Holger, @Fontainebleau, @patrice1711, @musicinferno, @cybertotor, @Matty, @AntiSkilled, @RUADJAI, @androiduser, @spinningaround, @SuperBicycle, @jesus ) - Lowest Rate : 1 ( @chipie )

Posted Images

I really like both "Pretender" and "Stay". They are my favourite album only tracks from her first two albums.

Personally I prefer the Album Remix of "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" from "Something To Remember", as well as some of the other remixes.

"Over And Over" isn't a bad track, but I got tired of it very quickly. Even the remix on "You Can Dance" isn't saving it.

"Shoo-Bee-Doo" is the song I could live without, sorry.

WOW... I'd switch positions between 'Material Girl' and 'Shoo-Bee-Doo' :lol:.

as iconic and important as it is, 'Material Girl' irritates me a lot nowadays, while I've come to appreciate 'Shoo-Bee-Doo' more. I didn't expect it to be the last one at all! I thought 'Pretender' would be in the last position. that's why this is so fun! I'd also like 'Over and Over' and 'Stay' to be higher, haha.

9 hours ago, Pretender1978 said:

So LAV to me is (...) a bunch of bought singles and a batch of self written tracks that are far superior

I agree with this so much regarding this album. With the years, I don't see her own compositions in LAV as filler at all, I recognise her there and that's far more appealing to me than 'Material Girl'. I've always seen her as a (genuine, very good) singer-songwriter and it doesn't happen with every album that just because the songs are hers I like them even if they are weak, but it does with LAV.

19 minutes ago, desperateK said:

WOW... I'd switch positions between 'Material Girl' and 'Shoo-Bee-Doo' :lol:.

as iconic and important as it is, 'Material Girl' irritates me a lot nowadays, while I've come to appreciate 'Shoo-Bee-Doo' more. I didn't expect it to be the last one at all! I thought 'Pretender' would be in the last position. that's why this is so fun! I'd also like 'Over and Over' and 'Stay' to be higher, haha.

I dont like Material Girl and never did, especially when everyone misunderstood the point of the video and I had to endure Madonna singing it in that wretched voice on Blonde Ambition, the track has left a sour taste in my mouth ever since.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...