Madonna Back In The Studio!

Shoful

15 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I’m pretty sure it was exactly the opposite of that. Warners wanted her to go in more of an R&B direction to have more success in the US market. Confessions was huge in Europe but underperformed in the US. 

Wrong. It was the label. It was Madonna who wanted to work Timbaland and Pharrell.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Candy Perfume Girl is an outlier though. It’s hardly one of her most remembered  or loved songs. It got a  negative reaction from a lot of fans. 

Trent Reznor’s sound isn’t anything like Frozen or Live to Tell which are more on the vein of classic Madonna ballads, not guitar heavy or industrial. 

Lol i wasnt saying they sound like that I'm saying that I'm saying that she aways shifts genres and incorporates herself well in it

3 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

No need to get comically defensive. Why is Swae on Crave? To pander and yes it’s meant to be youthful and “trendy”.  And there’s a difference between youthful and immature. I never mentioned immature. You’re free to disagree, even if misguided. 

Maybe because he worked really well on it? And Madonna has ALWAYS been about trends whether they catch on or not or incorporating them into her work. The only difference now is that she's 63 and people feel she should IDK become some old out of touch person who ignores whats going on in music.

49 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Maybe because he worked really well on it? And Madonna has ALWAYS been about trends whether they catch on or not or incorporating them into her work. The only difference now is that she's 63 and people feel she should IDK become some old out of touch person who ignores whats going on in music.

Let me correct this for you:

Madonna has always been about CREATING trends not chasing them. 

But also one can't expect for a 63 yo mother of 6 to be on top of what's going on underground anymore. It's all good.

1 hour ago, DaddyZ said:

Let me correct this for you:

Madonna has always been about CREATING trends not chasing them. 

But also one can't expect for a 63 yo mother of 6 to be on top of what's going on underground anymore. It's all good.

Nope. She has followed as well as created them. And im not sure your point about underground since your complaint is about her working with swae lee and "pandering". 

57 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Nope. She has followed as well as created them. And im not sure your point about underground since your complaint is about her working with swae lee and "pandering". 

If you’re really not sure let me know, I’ll gladly explain. Though I think it’s pretty clear. 

14 minutes ago, PatrickSamuel said:

She didn't create those trends, she brought them into the mainstream. Either of those is an accomplishment for a commercial artist.

This really doesn’t need to be explained to lifelong fans of hers. Hence my reference to underground. 

I obviously meant trends in regards to mainstream. Thank you though. 

22 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

That too, even though I really like Crave. 

I want adult-musiciandonna, not  pandering-to-youthdonna. Fuck youth. Fuck chasing "trends". :) 

Yes explain this to me. You mention she cant do underground yet you're saying you dont want "chasing trends". Also the funny "adult-musciandonna" as if she creates children music. Maybe its just me but I never knew MX was "pandering-to-youthdonna" and "chasing trends".

57 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I don't know. In my opinion... if the Pet Shop Boys "Sorry" remix was a preview of what they could do together... maybe it was better that it never happened, anyway. I mean it's a nice remix, but that's it.

We'll never know!

I mean. It’s a remix and it goes off. What’s not to love teebs 

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

I mean. It’s a remix and it goes off. What’s not to love teebs 

I don't know. I remember at the time Madonna + Pet Shop Boys on paper sounded like something big what's waiting for us on the "Sorry" maxi but then listening to the proper remix it just wasn't that... big, you know. But of course that's only my personal opinion, glad you liked it!! :cute:

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

Not on the Sabbath. Lord a mercy. The Pet Shop Boys are out of this world incredible. The smarts of their lyrics, their humour and skills of observation. The irony in their work. Their incredible work for other artists. Their love of dance music. Thier way around a melody. The references, cadence and efficiency in astute lyrics. One word, a pause, an infection can set a mood or a feeling. The camp, the nostalgia, the wistfulness, the reads, the mindfulness, the wry politics of life, the working class, the media, the rich and the aristocracy. They are second to none in that sense. The narrators of the story of life. I don't trust anyone who doesn't love the Pet Shop Boys. It's a literal hate crime that we got Hard Candy ( for me her absolute worst placid autopilot record) instead of something with these two. I think it would have topped Confessions coming off the back of it. It's one of the worst things that never happened to her career. Get ha @New_Boyand let me know when the body is buried sis. 

You know, as bad as MDNA was, I have always hated Hard Candy so much more, a generally horrible album, especially when you consider it was coming off Confessions. The Hard Candy and MDNA era's are the lowest point of her career for me.

34 minutes ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

You know, as bad as MDNA was, I have always hated Hard Candy so much more, a generally horrible album, especially when you consider it was coming off Confessions. The Hard Candy and MDNA era's are the lowest point of her career for me.

I felt like that at the time with HC but like you said especially coming after Confessions. My perspective has changed however. Its on the same level of Music for me. As an album i never go back to listen to it as a whole but i find myself listening to the songs individually. Take off Incredible and Spanish Lesson and replace them with Across the Sky and Madness of Love and bam...a way better album

55 minutes ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

Hard Candy feels like the most cynically commercial album of her career. You can hear the a&r wheels creaking with every beat. 

26 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Hard Candy feels like the most cynically commercial album of her career. You can hear the a&r wheels creaking with every beat. 

Its also the album where Madonna started actively chasing trends rather than setting them. Some people like to shit on Madame X but atleast it is something more original and creative for the first time in awhile. I dont think Madonna was inspired to create music during the Hard Candy and MDNA era's and that really showed in how bad the albums were.

14 hours ago, steady75 said:

Not on the Sabbath. Lord a mercy. The Pet Shop Boys are out of this world incredible. The smarts of their lyrics, their humour and skills of observation. The irony in their work. Their incredible work for other artists. Their love of dance music. Thier way around a melody. The references, cadence and efficiency in astute lyrics. One word, a pause, an infection can set a mood or a feeling. The camp, the nostalgia, the wistfulness, the reads, the mindfulness, the wry politics of life, the working class, the media, the rich and the aristocracy. They are second to none in that sense. The narrators of the story of life. I don't trust anyone who doesn't love the Pet Shop Boys. It's a literal hate crime that we got Hard Candy ( for me her absolute worst placid autopilot record) instead of something with these two. I think it would have topped Confessions coming off the back of it. It's one of the worst things that never happened to her career. Get ha @New_Boyand let me know when the body is buried sis. 

Hun, thanks for notifying me, cause it's about to get BLOODY.

Just kidding, I'm too depleted after two years of arguing with antivaxxers and bigots, this seems too minor to really be bothered by. It's just ignorance saying all PSB songs sound the same - a malicious straight local dude would say the same about Madonna. PSB revisionism always stinks of homophobia too.

Just from the top of my head, "Being boring" is very different to "West End girls", which is very different to "Domino dancing", which is very different to "Monkey business", which is very different to "Go West", which is very different to "I get along", "Minimal", "Vocal" and so on. And these are just the singles. Unless all songs are the same when they share a vocalist, which is just sad. Makes me sad that some people will never experience the joy of their vast catalogue. Imagine dying without hearing "Miracles"? Miserable life...

On top of that, writing 99.9% of their music and lyrics and actually consistently interacting with the fans and giving us what we want. Fan books, Christmas cards, reissues, side projects, signed items? I don't know a better band to stan, honestly.

6 hours ago, New_Boy said:

Hun, thanks for notifying me, cause it's about to get BLOODY.

Just kidding, I'm too depleted after two years of arguing with antivaxxers and bigots, this seems too minor to really be bothered by. It's just ignorance saying all PSB songs sound the same - a malicious straight local dude would say the same about Madonna. PSB revisionism always stinks of homophobia too.

Just from the top of my head, "Being boring" is very different to "West End girls", which is very different to "Domino dancing", which is very different to "Monkey business", which is very different to "Go West", which is very different to "I get along", "Minimal", "Vocal" and so on. And these are just the singles. Unless all songs are the same when they share a vocalist, which is just sad. Makes me sad that some people will never experience the joy of their vast catalogue. Imagine dying without hearing "Miracles"? Miserable life...

On top of that, writing 99.9% of their music and lyrics and actually consistently interacting with the fans and giving us what we want. Fan books, Christmas cards, reissues, side projects, signed items? I don't know a better band to stan, honestly.

I loved them growing up in the 80s and then some of their 90s stuff but when I went to revisit those albums recently I simply couldn't listen to them. I don't like their production and I cannot STAND Tennant's voice. But you know, each to their own :).

13 hours ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

Its also the album where Madonna started actively chasing trends rather than setting them. Some people like to shit on Madame X but atleast it is something more original and creative for the first time in awhile. I dont think Madonna was inspired to create music during the Hard Candy and MDNA era's and that really showed in how bad the albums were.

when you say bad albums do you mean in general or in terms of madonnas quality because i would never say they were bad albums ..each album has some great gems on it ad the tours they supported were brilliant 

3 hours ago, kesiak said:

I loved them growing up in the 80s and then some of their 90s stuff but when I went to revisit those albums recently I simply couldn't listen to them. I don't like their production and I cannot STAND Tennant's voice. But you know, each to their own :).

PSB's last 3 albums were produced by Stuart Price! Maybe you would like those? Try The Pop Kids, Inside A Dream, Twenty-Something, Into Thin Air, I Don't Wanna, Burning the Heather. The songwriting and melodies are genius (to me), making a mature/contemporary statements. I always wondered what a Neil Tennant/Madonna written and produced song would sound like. But then I also think of Sufjan Stevens----especially his last albums (The Ascension or A Beginner's Mind) or his work on Planetarium or Sisyphus and wonder how this could take Madonna in a new direction (sort of how Ray of Light did). Actually PSB and Sufjan would totally be an interesting collaboration. 

Also listen to Liza Minelli's album Results (1989) as it was produced by PSB. The entire album is amazing (to me), especially Don't Drop Bombs, Love Pains, Twist In My Sobriety, Losing My Mind, So Sorry I Said, I Want You Now ... but I do agree that vocals/singer's voice can be an acquired taste.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic