Madonna's voice?

50ft Queenie

She's one of my favorite female singers aside from Mariah and Whitney (thought not much of a fan of Whitney).

Though her voice is not that hardcore like Mariah, Whitney, Donna Summer, Aretha, or Barbara, but we cannot deny that she also have a wonderful voice that soothes every people's soul. With the likes of Live To Tell, You'll See, Sooner or Later, Something To Remember, Love Don't Live Here Anymore, Oh Father, Promise To Try, In This Life, Take A Bow, and many to mention, she's a singer who seems like "she's not only singing but she's trying to tell a story".

For live sessions and tours, her voice is still great, but not to overuse, not to always shout, and not to stress too much. Like what happened to her on Blond Ambition Tour where her voice sounds great during Japanese Tour Leg and earlier North American tour date but on the later and European, it gets worse or strained. Also, she must be aware of her voice if she can still hit a higher key on a song or to dodge it for good, because live shows do not always need to be sounded perfect as what we can also hear from studio versions.

Lstly, as we ages, our internal organs including our vocal chords turn fragile so having her time to rest is a must.

That's my opinion.

Her voice has character rather than technical perfection which suits me fine. I'd rather listen to her "average" voice than a Mariah or Whitney. She struggles singing live for whatever reason but often can really pull it off. "Lucky Star" and "The Look Of Love" from Ciao Italia are really strong examples of her live voice. I think her voice was at it's finest around the Music era.

she's never been a "strong" singer technically but she can emote really well which is what connects with people. There are technically great singers but they still sound soulless.

I love her natural singing voice and I hope we get to hear it properly on the next musical endeavors........then again it might just be gone for good. It doesn't seem like she's taking good care of her voice. She has more pressing things to tend to like her "youthful" appearance. 

4 hours ago, Robertson II said:

She's one of my favorite female singers aside from Mariah and Whitney (thought not much of a fan of Whitney).

Though her voice is not that hardcore like Mariah, Whitney, Donna Summer, Aretha, or Barbara, but we cannot deny that she also have a wonderful voice that soothes every people's soul. With the likes of Live To Tell, You'll See, Sooner or Later, Something To Remember, Love Don't Live Here Anymore, Oh Father, Promise To Try, In This Life, Take A Bow, and many to mention, she's a singer who seems like "she's not only singing but she's trying to tell a story".

For live sessions and tours, her voice is still great, but not to overuse, not to always shout, and not to stress too much. Like what happened to her on Blond Ambition Tour where her voice sounds great during Japanese Tour Leg and earlier North American tour date but on the later and European, it gets worse or strained. Also, she must be aware of her voice if she can still hit a higher key on a song or to dodge it for good, because live shows do not always need to be sounded perfect as what we can also hear from studio versions.

Lstly, as we ages, our internal organs including our vocal chords turn fragile so having her time to rest is a must.

That's my opinion.

her voice got absolutely fucked at the end of sticky and sweet - way too many dates on that tour but made her lots of money sooo 
I always thought she sang the prince tribute melody very well but some think she sang terribly ....i guess if you go out of tune once now while singing its simply not acceptable 

i love how someone who present a controversial opinion here fatally will end up hearing "you're not a fan" or some of its variation lol

anyway, i think she's voice is amazing, but she definitely should work a little bit more on her live vocals. I mean, sometimes she's bad live even when standing still...

:kitty:

31 minutes ago, rog said:

i love how someone who present a controversial opinion here fatally will end up hearing "you're not a fan" or some of its variation lol

anyway, i think she's voice is amazing, but she definitely should work a little bit more on her live vocals. I mean, sometimes she's bad live even when standing still...

true but most of the time its when she has previously dancing or shagging some wall or something so she is out of breath 

24 minutes ago, rog said:

Very true, it's like gatekeeping who can be a fan ?

I absolutely love her voice. I love her initial raw vocals, her trained vocals from Evita onwards and I don't even mind the auto-tune, in moderation. She always sings with passion and emotion. 

But... her live vocals are generally not great. I saw her at Wembley for WTG in 1987 and was surprised how bad her vocals were live. Yes she was also putting on a very energetic show but she sometimes struggles even when she's not dancing. On the other hand she has also pulled off some amazing vocal performances and she can definitely sing, when she wants to. 

For example the Eurovision performance was just plain embarrassing. Anyone who thinks that was good must be deaf. But when I saw her during the Madame X Tour she sounded great.

I think it's like others have said, if she puts the effort into vocal training she can be great, otherwise...

Some of you motherfuckers don’t get it though. I love her great vocal performances but I do criticize her vocal lows too - they’re awful like what the fuck girl? It’s not all praise lmao what the fuck? I’m not that delusional like a lot of people on here.

Of course I agree she has had awful vocals, especially as of late. Those are horrible, granny, nasal, thin, forced vocals. It doesn’t mean she can’t improve and work on them again. It’s truly up to her at this point. Madonna always had and has potential. It’s only a matter of what impassions her at this point. 

But the point I was making was: Madonna is and always had great live vocal capabilities when she puts her mind and heart to it. Alas, only this applies to the first 25 to maybe 30 years of her career. 

LMAO all you foos saying some lame shit! LMAO shut the fuck up! The same people bashing her vocals all will watch and listen to her videos, live performances, and tours anyway and will have your eyes gleaming just the same. You can’t deny how much you love her regardless of her “lack of” vocal abilities.

You know what I mean. LMAO fucking fans!

3 hours ago, Quack said:

Very true, it's like gatekeeping who can be a fan ?

I absolutely love her voice. I love her initial raw vocals, her trained vocals from Evita onwards and I don't even mind the auto-tune, in moderation. She always sings with passion and emotion. 

But... her live vocals are generally not great. I saw her at Wembley for WTG in 1987 and was surprised how bad her vocals were live. Yes she was also putting on a very energetic show but she sometimes struggles even when she's not dancing. On the other hand she has also pulled off some amazing vocal performances and she can definitely sing, when she wants to. 

For example the Eurovision performance was just plain embarrassing. Anyone who thinks that was good must be deaf. But when I saw her during the Madame X Tour she sounded great.

I think it's like others have said, if she puts the effort into vocal training she can be great, otherwise...

I like the you tube performance of eurovision though and oddly in other videos that were recorded there by audience she does not sound as bad - its the harlem performance that shocked me because she sounded great in rehearsal videos ..i dont like these little random gigs she does anyway so it may be that 

I love Madonna’s voice...especially her lower range which separates her from the rest. But Madonna is about so much more in the show woman and the theatrical artist she is as well. It’s an X factor and the way she takes risks with every single and album ... the whole exceptional creative package which makes her so special. 

I love Madonna's voice  - it's so unique like Freddie Mercury you know within seconds of her singing it is her and no one else. Love how she puts a song across no one else sells a song like she can.  Especially love her mid and lower range and when she just belts out songs like Deeper and Deeper and Rescue Me. Her voice works so well with uptempo dance based pop music but the vocals on her ballads are fantastic too and so emotional like Time Stood Still and I Want You.

Live  - I thought her vocals were at their  best on the Re-Invention Tour and Confessions tour no doubt helped by Stuart Price's brilliant tech knowledge for autotune that keeps her sounding real. 

I think she's hit or miss live. That's what makes it so great in the moments when she knocks it out of the park. If you listen to You Must Love Me from the first night of the Sticky and Sweet tour, it is super powerful, and it got worse over the course of the tour. Even on Madame X she sang Sound of Silence and La Vie en Rose without autotune and sounded great. I think her strongest vocals were around the time of the Drowned World tour. I was at one of the shows where she sang You'll See (Boston) and she was 100% on it. 

11 minutes ago, adirondak said:

I think she's hit or miss live. That's what makes it so great in the moments when she knocks it out of the park. If you listen to You Must Love Me from the first night of the Sticky and Sweet tour, it is super powerful, and it got worse over the course of the tour. Even on Madame X she sang Sound of Silence and La Vie en Rose without autotune and sounded great. I think her strongest vocals were around the time of the Drowned World tour. I was at one of the shows where she sang You'll See (Boston) and she was 100% on it. 

She still sounded really good on the Drowned World Tour because the effects of her Evita vocal training had not worn off yet. By the time we get to the end of Sticky and Sweet her voice is insufferably awful and it has not really recovered fully since. She sounded terrible on Eurovision as well and despite what some people claim, there is so danmm way she is singing live all the time on the Madame X Tour. If we judge her voice on her most recent vocal performance which is Harlem, I think we can say she still sounds pretty bad and needs to take some lessons again.

Madonna came from the punk scene, don't forget that, like deby harry and many other singers that came from the punk are terrible in live, but those singers, sing with the soul, convey feelings. Did you hear susan's boyle cover of You'll See? Great voice, but lack of feelings. I prefer Madonna's voice, an imperfect voice but full of feelings and soul