Cancelled Angel music video

Régine Filange

3 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

I read somewhere that MTV asked Madonna's label to not release another music video during that period cause she was everywhere in the MTV channel and they didn't wanted to add another video of hers there. Is this true? Does anyone have a source? 

MTV couldn't get enough of her. They didn't have to play any of her videos but often had 3 on the go at once in 1985 on heavy rotation. Also they played Gambler and that wasn't even a single. So I doubt this is true. Pretty sure they also briefly played Over and Over from the Virgin Tour as well. 

I  always thought the decision to cancel the video came from Warners. Of the 7 singles released in the UK in 1985 only 1 had a full scale video made. Dress You Up had the live video from The Virgin Tour (Angel was released too early to have a live video), Crazy For You, Gambler and Into The Groove had the movie montages which almost look like footage shot especially for music videos and the clips used for Holiday actually looks like a proper music video byt An gels montage of older music clips is no way a proper video. Is a shame some an important year is so badly represented in terms of music videos especially for Angel.

Would have been good if at the start of the year she took a week out to shoot full scale videos for more of that years singles, perhaps with a storyline spread over all the videos.

"Madonna had initially planned to release a music video for "Angel", but later decided to go against it, as at that time, there were already five Madonna music videos on-rotation in the music channels and were being broadcast continuously. Hence, Warner Bros. and Madonna felt that adding another video to the already saturated channels, might not be in her favour.[3] A promotional video, containing scenes from the music videos of "Burning Up", "Borderline", "Lucky Star", "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" was made by Warner Bros. Records and aired in the United Kingdom. The video was included on the promotional-only video compilations It's That Girl and She's Breathless".

Don't know it's true, but according to wikipedia the information was published in the book Blond Ambition, by Mark Bego, p. 186.

27 minutes ago, lap said:

"Madonna had initially planned to release a music video for "Angel", but later decided to go against it, as at that time, there were already five Madonna music videos on-rotation in the music channels and were being broadcast continuously. Hence, Warner Bros. and Madonna felt that adding another video to the already saturated channels, might not be in her favour.[3] A promotional video, containing scenes from the music videos of "Burning Up", "Borderline", "Lucky Star", "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" was made by Warner Bros. Records and aired in the United Kingdom. The video was included on the promotional-only video compilations It's That Girl and She's Breathless".

Don't know it's true, but according to wikipedia the information was published in the book Blond Ambition, by Mark Bego, p. 186.

This is probably true. Freddy DeMann said in Mar 85 that he was already concerned about her being over exposed. It only got more intense by summer 85. I dare say he and others pulled the plug on a lot of promo for fear people would get sick of her. 

What I always heard about it is that they wanted to do a video for "Angel" but she was too busy with "The Virgin Tour" rehearsals so she didn't have the time for do it. And her other videos were continuosly on MTV and he album was selling so well that they thought it wasn't needed to make the video for the song.

7 hours ago, devilpray said:

And what about the rumour that she allegedly shot the video the same day she did the beach shoot with Herb Ritts? 

image.png.9204ecfdb8b713089bd9556370ebacab.png

I have never heard that rumor! Although it wouldn't make sense for them to film something then not release it although supposedly thats what happened with now im following you and that they also filmed an alternate video of nothing fails during the love profusion set. Dont know if thats true or not.

4 hours ago, Fabiolous said:

Wait what 

She shot a video for Now Im Following you. When Nothing Fails still had video rumors there was rumors it was going to be the same as Love Profusion. Rumors nothing proven tho. NIFY there was an article where they had  the filming location.

So i'm gonna do a list about rumored videos:

1. Angel: Discussed above

2. Now I'm Following You: Discussed above

3. Impressive Instant: I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was tribe) that they started recording a video for it with an outter-space theme, apparently it was a dancer from the DWT that was appearing on it. Again: I remember reading it but i've been unable to find it. Maybe it wasn't tribe and it was an stupid lying article. If some knows...

4. Nothing Fails: Discussed above

5. Intervention: There were always rumors that there's a video

6. Get Together: Some say that the Confessions Tour backdrop is from the original video

7. Superstar: It was planned but the "terror bride" costume.. you know already i suppose. I don't know if shootings started

Can someone bring some light? or add more?

54 minutes ago, roberMDNA said:

So i'm gonna do a list about rumored videos:

1. Angel: Discussed above

2. Now I'm Following You: Discussed above

3. Impressive Instant: I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was tribe) that they started recording a video for it with an outter-space theme, apparently it was a dancer from the DWT that was appearing on it. Again: I remember reading it but i've been unable to find it. Maybe it wasn't tribe and it was an stupid lying article. If some knows...

4. Nothing Fails: Discussed above

5. Intervention: There were always rumors that there's a video

6. Get Together: Some say that the Confessions Tour backdrop is from the original video

7. Superstar: It was planned but the "terror bride" costume.. you know already i suppose. I don't know if shootings started

Can someone bring some light? or add more?

No videos filmed for Angel,  Now I'm Following You, Impressive Instant, Get Together or Superstar.. The backdrop video used on the confessions tour was just footage from the Steven Klien shoots

28 minutes ago, roberMDNA said:

and nothing fails and intervention? something we should know?

No - there are no filmed music videos in the vault. 

There's always been a fan rumour of Holiday having a video however this is debunked by M's 1984 Molly Meldrum interview where she confirms no video and discussed which live performance was airing in Australia etc