2021 Recap

50ft Queenie

I enjoyed her image overhaul on Instagram. Yes, I know the filters/photoshop can be extreme and unrealistic, but compared to the unflattering pictures of herself she used to post her Instagram shoots are a major improvement. She has worn some cute outfits and she doesn't dress like like a witch doctor or a pirate dictator anymore.

I also like that she gave us insight to the creative process of her writing the script to her visual autobiography. I'm looking forward to her announcing the casting, hopefully in the next few weeks, and finally beginning to film it this year.

In 2021, I was (and still am) I'm struggling with the body image/photo shop situation, no matter how common it is across many user/age/generations in social posts. It makes me uncomfortable still and I find with every additional photo shop photo posted, I feel this canyon of my connection to Madonna grow further and further to the point I'm actively ignoring her social posts more than ever. But then I turn on The Immaculate Collection and I'm fully reminded why I am connected to Madonna - so I'm less interested in her current non-music endeavours (which as been the case since around Die Another Day for me) but still very much connected to her musical output, which is a relief. 

I'm not judging her (honestly, I'm coming from a good place). I know why she's doing it. It simply makes me sad and I also see a large movement towards social media .. honesty (?) that engages me and inspires me - by people like Cassandra Bankson (medical esthetician) or the Welsh twins (skin care/make-up) and that movement gives me hope that maybe the next generation (or next-next) can shed the current social media expectations and reality and truth can take centre stage again. I'm seeing more and more TV/movie with less of that plastic face and more realness. I also think a lot of people are learning the difference between using a full bottle of Botox (or similar filler products) and using the right amount to touch-up areas they believe require it instead of dumping loads of product into the face and fucking up facial proportions, etc. This is my observation, no data to support it .. it could simply be getting worse but where I'm tuning in is different. 

I guess for myself, as I'm aging (I'm 42 btw) and my place in life in terms of relationship and career and circle of friends and all of that is moving along nicely, and I'm in the best physical shape of my life - eating healthy, staying active - going to the gym every day - all the things that make me comfortable and proud of who I am, I want that same happiness for Madonna where she's 100% comfortable in her own skin - and maybe she is and this is simply the product of her industry -- or maybe she is not and then I wish we could rally around her and give her a Care Bear stare of love until the photo shop filters are smashed to the ground and she emerges bare and beautiful .. unabashedly unapologetic in her raw sugar form :)

For 2022, I really am excited for the catalog anthology project. The world needs a reminder of why Madonna is fucking Madonna. Her legacy is undeniable but has been muted or minimized with other distractions that don't serve a lot of purpose, so this reset is (I hope) a welcome change. Her incredible catalog has been ignored for too long.