Talents of Madonna’s son divide critics after he is revealed as secret artist, under the mysterious pseudonym Rhed

Piksel8

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/jan/04/talents-madonna-son-divide-critics-secret-artist-rocco-ritchie?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR24c9Bk8nbe9-n6EV2TznO1tZDmm1O07e5s2MR19ANiYCvLcWBNqrUVvg8#Echobox=

I'm somehow not surprised by how critics now are starting to be vocal (and HARSH) about his work after being revealed to be Madonna's son. It's like a curse. The fact that he sold paintings at 5 figures without revealing his identity shows strong potential and how his work appeals to artists (new, old, growing or wealthy).

4 minutes ago, Piksel8 said:

I'm somehow not surprised by how critics now are starting to be vocal (and HARSH) about his work after being revealed to be Madonna's son. It's like a curse.

or.... critics who paid no attention to an unknown painter were asked about the paintings now that his identity has been revealed. If anything, the critics would have benefited more from buying his work and then praising it to heavens.

I dislike the paintings myself because he seems to have little ability to capture beauty in his work, they look pretty crude but I would not go as far as saying he has no talent, he is just not anything special that I can see. Art is actually a longtime interest of mine and I have been painting nature like mountains and animals on my free time since the 90's, I dont pretend to be some master but I can paint much better than Rocco and I have never thought of actually selling mine as its just a pastime I have. Actually it was pretty cool that he was able to actually sell them hiding his identity. Now that the rabbit is out of the hat though, I dont really know what he is gonna do. Pretty sad that the crime of being Madonna's son provokes such criticism and backlash, the number of haters she has is shocking. 

2 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

Haven’t we known his identity for quite some time now, someone shared his catalog……I can’t say I’m a fan….I won’t be mean. He’s probably just sold his work to his mums friends

Yeah, I mean I was not trying to be rude in my comments and it is cool he is actually attempting something as ambitious as art but his paintings are pretty ugly.

Expressionism is really hard to do. I’m not a fan of it but he did a really good job with it and has a talent with it especially being as young as he is. I think it’s cool too that Madonna’s love for art has planted a seed in him. It will be interesting to see what he paints in the future and if and how he grows with it. 

Most celebrity kids don't have any ambition besides spending their parent's money and trying to make it as a model. At least Rocco is really trying to do something. If he continues, who knows how great he will become. The fact that he lives a privileged life and that it may be easier for him to find success because of his famous parents doesn't mean he shouldn't try.

Fair play to him. 
Madonna’s debut was hailed at aerobics music and she was written off. 
Look what she became.

Keep going Rocco. 

I love that her kids are all showing talents in different fields. Lola’s modelling is a bit vapid but she’s a talented actress no? I’d like to see her take that route but it’s her life. I’m most excited to see what Mercy and David do. I don’t know why I have such an affection for Mercy but my heart melts when I see her on camera. She’s seems like she has such a beautiful soul. 
David is obviously the air to the pop throne though. It really feels like he’s the one who’s gonna go down the pop star route. 
The twins are too young to say but they’re not shy for sure x

What an amazing brood she has. Hopefully all future icons in their field and all sharing the the same mother. Amazing.  You just know she’s gonna be prouder of all their achievements than any of her own. 

12 hours ago, Voguerista said:

Expressionism is really hard to do. I’m not a fan of it but he did a really good job with it and has a talent with it especially being as young as he is. 

I agree, his paintings are not my cup of tea as well. I searched a few more of his stuff and some were decent and others we're rough, but perhaps his story for each of those pieces may provide us better understanding of its quality. This kind of visual art doesn't really appeal to masses, though does speak to other people especially those who are willing to pay top $ for it.

Gosh... Living in 2022 is TIRING. Everybody has to have a opinion about everything and has to share everywhere. Let the guy paint, be it good or bad. What that will potentially change one's life?

And I am not even start the argument that taste for art and its value are very subjective...

22 hours ago, Piksel8 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/jan/04/talents-madonna-son-divide-critics-secret-artist-rocco-ritchie?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR24c9Bk8nbe9-n6EV2TznO1tZDmm1O07e5s2MR19ANiYCvLcWBNqrUVvg8#Echobox=

I'm somehow not surprised by how critics now are starting to be vocal (and HARSH) about his work after being revealed to be Madonna's son. It's like a curse. The fact that he sold paintings at 5 figures without revealing his identity shows strong potential and how his work appeals to artists (new, old, growing or wealthy).

Madonna's ex-boyfriend, the famed artist Jean-Michel Basquiat once said, “I don't listen to what art critics say. I don't know anybody who needs a critic to find out what art is."

I'm glad Rocco has found a creative outlet that he's dedicated to. The Tanya Baxter Contemporary likens his work to Basquiat and Banksy, but I think it's more reminiscent of the artist Francis Bacon. Madonna owns a Bacon.

Edited by Vogue Italia (see edit history)

1 hour ago, diegolcl said:

Gosh... Living in 2022 is TIRING. Everybody has to have a opinion about everything and has to share everywhere. Let the guy paint, be it good or bad. What that will potentially change one's life?

And I am not even start the argument that taste for art and its value are very subjective...

You are aware that this is a discussion forum right? ofcourse everyone has an opinion.

37 minutes ago, OceanBlue said:

Banksy is anonimous from more than 20 years...

Yes, but his/her/their work is still visible. The Tanya Baxter Contemporary, which represents Rocco (Rhed) compares him to Banksy. The Guardian article states: "The King’s Road gallery, which has likened Rhed’s work to Jean-Michel Basquiat and Banksy."

Here's another quote from the Page Six  article from last month, which revealed Rocco as Rhed.

https://pagesix.com/2021/12/17/madonnas-son-rocco-ritchie-selling-art-under-fake-name/

"His first show at the gallery was in July 2018, with a release at the time saying, 'Now based in London and attending Central Saint Martins, he has embraced a new genre of bricolage art with expressionist verve and street energy. It is no surprise that he first dabbled as a graffiti artist and his work certainly has hints of Basquiat and Banksy.'"

Edited by Vogue Italia (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Fontainebleau said:

Most celebrity kids don't have any ambition besides spending their parent's money and trying to make it as a model. At least Rocco is really trying to do something. If he continues, who knows how great he will become. The fact that he lives a privileged life and that it may be easier for him to find success because of his famous parents doesn't mean he shouldn't try.

i dont think madonna allows this lol ..she wont give them a easy ride thats for sure 

3 hours ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

You are aware that this is a discussion forum right? ofcourse everyone has an opinion.

That's not the point, sweetheart.

There's a difference between a discussion forum for fans to discuss the work from an artist and to judge somebody elses work on comment sections, social media and the likes, acting like your taste and knowledge is above and beyond and like you're entitled to say what's valuable or not and what people should or shouldn't be doing...

10 hours ago, steady75 said:

Fair play to him. 
Madonna’s debut was hailed at aerobics music and she was written off. 
Look what she became.

Keep going Rocco. 

I love that her kids are all showing talents in different fields. Lola’s modelling is a bit vapid but she’s a talented actress no? I’d like to see her take that route but it’s her life. I’m most excited to see what Mercy and David do. I don’t know why I have such an affection for Mercy but my heart melts when I see her on camera. She’s seems like she has such a beautiful soul. 
David is obviously the air to the pop throne though. It really feels like he’s the one who’s gonna go down the pop star route. 
The twins are too young to say but they’re not shy for sure x

What an amazing brood she has. Hopefully all future icons in their field and all sharing the the same mother. Amazing.  You just know she’s gonna be prouder of all their achievements than any of her own. 

'hailed at aerobics music'....by herself. 
:thinker:

11 hours ago, beautifulkiller said:

lol ..love it

I mean its true. I would consider myself a good artist and i remember someone made a comment saying my art wasnt good because it wasn't realistic. Lol like the saying opinions are like assholes everyone's got one and this thread proves that alot are full of shit.

10 hours ago, diegolcl said:

That's not the point, sweetheart.

There's a difference between a discussion forum for fans to discuss the work from an artist and to judge somebody elses work on comment sections, social media and the likes, acting like your taste and knowledge is above and beyond and like you're entitled to say what's valuable or not and what people should or shouldn't be doing...

Actually I am entitled to say what I want as long as its not offensive and I find the artwork ugly lol, just like I love Express Yourself and hate Bitch Im Loca. Grow up please, Rocco is never going to read our comments and nor will it affect his art career. Pressed stans are almost as annoying as trolls sometimes.