Demos performed by other artists

androiduser

I'm trying to find all the demos of M's songs that are performed by other artists... I can think of a few, does anyone have any other ideas?

The original demo of Ray of Light with Christine Leach,

Silly Thing / Nothing Fails by Jem Griffiths

Revolver by RaVaughn

Martin Solveig feat Sunday Girl - Turn Up The Radio

With William Orbit for ray of Light there are couple :

'The Other Side' (Swim) , "Throb the Oceans' (Candy perfume Girl) with Susannah Melvoin

and the instrumentals with some female voices over for drowned world and Amazing

MDNA has Love Spent and Bang Bang  with Priscilla Renea, Falling Free by Hybrid with Laurie Mayer, Some Girls with Bebe Rexha + Teddybears and the other demo with Klas Ahlund, I'm a Sinner by Jean- Baptiste, Girl Gone Wild by Rosette

15 hours ago, OceanBlue said:

Laura Pausini sang Mi Annabdono a Te in her Resta in ascolto album. It's an Italian version of Like a flower.

That Kylie video is not the actual song, but the part we know repeated twice. The complete track never leaked.

Yes, the song was party used in her White Diamond documentary - that's all we have of this song.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:29 PM, EgoRod said:

With William Orbit for ray of Light there are couple :

'The Other Side' (Swim) , "Throb the Oceans' (Candy perfume Girl) with Susannah Melvoin

and the instrumentals with some female voices over for drowned world and Amazing

MDNA has Love Spent and Bang Bang  with Priscilla Renea, Falling Free by Hybrid with Laurie Mayer, Some Girls with Bebe Rexha + Teddybears and the other demo with Klas Ahlund, I'm a Sinner by Jean- Baptiste, Girl Gone Wild by Rosette

It's funny because she got so much s**t from some fans for recording other people demos on "MDNA" when she did exactly the same on a lot of songs on "Ray Of Light" and the only difference is we didn't know it back then ("her most personal album, masterpiece, etc."). Of course "MDNA" is no "Ray Of Light" but that's a discussion for another day.

I personally don't care if she gets songs from others as long as they're good. It's the way she makes them hers that matters. She's an excellent pop curator and she always makes them better.

23 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's funny because she got so much s**t from some fans for recording other people demos on "MDNA" when she did exactly the same on a lot of songs on "Ray Of Light" and the only difference is we didn't know it back then ("her most personal album, masterpiece, etc."). Of course "MDNA" is no "Ray Of Light" but that's a discussion for another day.

I personally don't care if she gets songs from others as long as they're good. It's the way she makes them hers that matters. She's an excellent pop curator and she always makes them better.

I think is because with ROL she literally ransacked Orbit's catalogue and they made a whole album when that particular Orbit sound wasn't too commercial. It helped her to get the electronic baptism she wanted and for Orbit to get more recognition .

The MDNA demos they are more generic EDM sounds that so many Djs and producers were doing at the time. I blame the same software (!) So the demos sound less exciting.

But yeah she's good at curating and making her sound.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

It's funny because she got so much s**t from some fans for recording other people demos on "MDNA" when she did exactly the same on a lot of songs on "Ray Of Light" and the only difference is we didn't know it back then ("her most personal album, masterpiece, etc.").

I was super surprised by how much of the music on Ray of Light was already done before Madonna even got involved. The writing/production credit on Ray of Light (the song) is really debatable, the song was already finished before Orbit even started working on the record.

5 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I was super surprised by how much of the music on Ray of Light was already done before Madonna even got involved. The writing/production credit on Ray of Light (the song) is really debatable, the song was already finished before Orbit even started working on the record.

Interesting reading about it here:

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/madonnas-ray-of-light-6-things-you-didnt-know-197343/

9 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Ray of Light is definitely a masterpiece but I have always thought that stuff about everything on it being super personal is kinda overblown. Ray of Light was ultimately just another of her reinventions, sometimes its very hard to know the real Madonna.

I've noticed that, as a rule of thumb, if the song credit mentions more songwriters than the average Madonna song, and these songwriters didn't contribute anything else on the album other than a song or two, it probably means that Madonna got a finished song and reworked it to a certain degree. Sometimes it's a major change, and sometimes just a small tweak.

Edited by androiduser (see edit history)

I don’t think using Ray of Light the song is a great example to support that.

Weve all heard the Nowells/Fitzgerald/Leonard/Babyface demos. It’s a lot. And lyrically she pours herself into them.

Yes, we know she didn’t really write Ray of Light or Candy Perfume Girl. Swim came from a Susannah Melvoin demo which was just an early version of All Saints “Pure Shores.” All Madonna did was take the instrumental of the concept of water “swimming” to create Swim.

But those are just 3 songs. There’s 11 others on that album.

(and yes I know about Sky Fits Heaven and The Gap commercial, but we all find inspiration in the strangest of ways. It doesn’t make you a fraud) 

18 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I don’t think using Ray of Light the song is a great example to support that.

Weve all heard the Nowells/Fitzgerald/Leonard/Babyface demos. It’s a lot. And lyrically she pours herself into them.

Yes, we know she didn’t really write Ray of Light or Candy Perfume Girl. Swim came from a Susannah Melvoin demo which was just an early version of All Saints “Pure Shores.” All Madonna did was take the instrumental of the concept of water “swimming” to create Swim.

But those are just 3 songs. There’s 11 others on that album.

(and yes I know about Sky Fits Heaven and The Gap commercial, but we all find inspiration in the strangest of ways. It doesn’t make you a fraud) 

Yeah, its dumb that some people try to take Madonna's abilities as a songwriter away from her, I know that she  co wrote a lot of her music but that does mean she was not the one calling the shots and taking creative control. She has always had a good vision for the specific way she the beat and instrumentals to sound. The drums are always especially prominent in her music. I also had no idea about Susannah Melvoin was involved with what came to be Swim.

1 hour ago, Ziggy Stardust said:

Ray of Light is definitely a masterpiece but I have always thought that stuff about everything on it being super personal is kinda overblown. Ray of Light was ultimately just another of her reinventions, sometimes its very hard to know the real Madonna.

i think ray of light is one of the best albums ever not just her best album :) that box set that somebody designed from this page got me all excited as i believed it was real..its what it deserves but i bet we get a basic new edition