Your Opinion On Bedtime Stories?

50ft Queenie

I feel like opinions on this album are very divided among Madonna fans, especially coming off the absolute masterpiece that was Erotica. Personally, I have always liked this one for some reason and I dont know exactly why, though im not saying it is top 5 or anything. Some fans try and call Bedtime Stories as damage control, I have never seen it that way at all. Human Nature is basically a pissed off Madonna giving her haters the finger in such a masterful way. The most interesting thing about this album to me is that behind the smooth, sexy and understated production, Madonna is very edgy and angry in a subtle way which gives it a great dangerous feel, I dont understand why some people act like this album is a snoozer. Take A Bow is not a track I am especially found of, my favorites are easily Human Nature, Inside of Me and Secret. What does everyone else think of this album?

Ok, it's a Madonna's album so it's good, but boring. Too boring. And this album has my first hated song created by Madonna: Human Nature (I'm not sorry, It's my human nature...)

I only love Sanctuary and Bedtime Story, and I like Love Tried to Welcome Me, Secret, and Take A Bow. The rest... Thanks god for the remixes and the Bedtime Story Video-Clip.  The remixes kept me as Madonna's fan (I even love the "Human Nature" remixes).

To me it’s a very derivative album of that tired r n b sound we had heard before from Mariah , tlc , boy z to men etc so it just doesn’t hold up well for me and I really hate take a bow now for some reason 

the only songs I like are bedtime story and the way sanctuary mixes into it seamlessly plus human nature 

that said I think it has her best suite of music videos though with human nature and bedtime being in my top 10 fave videos and I also liked that she did a little promo tour for it too : brits performance of BS was so iconic 

hope one day to hear the shep demos for it though to see what he had in mind for it ?

38 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

To me it’s a very derivative album of that tired r n b sound we had heard before from Mariah , tlc , boy z to men etc so it just doesn’t hold up well for me and I really hate take a bow now for some reason 

the only songs I like are bedtime story and the way sanctuary mixes into it seamlessly plus human nature 

that said I think it has her best suite of music videos though with human nature and bedtime being in my top 10 fave videos and I also liked that she did a little promo tour for it too : brits performance of BS was so iconic 

hope one day to hear the shep demos for it though to see what he had in mind for it ?

Her music videos during that period were works of art. Like A Prayer was the one that really ushered in that 90's golden age of Madonna music videos and Human Nature one is basically god tier

While there is some good stuff on this album, I can't say it's one of my favorites. I must say, though, that there is some great and underrated tracks on there: "I'd Rather Be Your Lover," "Forbidden Love," and "Love Tried to Welcome Me" (this last one is a great track; so lovely and wintery-sounding).

That being said, it had some awesome videos; I'm especially fond of the "Bedtime Story" music video. One of her best, in my opinion.

Like Erotica, it's aged very well and I always go to it when I want some laid-back Madonna. I love her voice on this album and as others have mentioned, the videos from this album are some of her best. My only wish is she'd carried on working with Andre Betts on this album, the work he did on Justify My Love, Erotica and Me'Shell's album the year before was great and I would have liked to have heard more from M & Dre. Not a massive fan of the album photography though, it was the first time I thought her image was a bit meh

I love it. It's one of her finest bodies of work. Sadly underrated and forgotten. Lyrics, vocals and production... perfect.

It's also the definition of "damage control" after the whole 1992-1993 era, but done RIGHT.

I can image how hard it was putting all together with so many different producers. But it works.

It's also a mood, a vibe, an album to listen from start to finish if you're in that instrospective, romantic, chill mood.

The 4 music videos are TOP-NOTCH.

The fact that she followed her biggest US hit in years, "Take A Bow" with something like "Bedtime Story"... I mean, a true artist taking risks.

And I love the artwork :hearteyes: The whole pink-green-black&white works perfectly with the sound and her classic Hollywood look, in my opinion.

madonna-bedtime-stories-cassette-94.jpg

I love the sound and vocals, especially in songs like Forbidden love and Love tried to welcome me. I like the general soft mood, since the opening Survival, but overall, the album is not totally convincing. I'd love to hear the DEMOS to better understand the artistic progress. What I hate are the non-album tracks, both Let down your guard and Your honesty, but I am one of the few who likes Freedom.

The music videos are great, especially Bedtime Story and Human Nature.

Great album  -  all the singles were fantastic tracks and so were the videos and remixes - probably the best set of singles, videos and remixes from any of her albums all done so well.  

Think it was a masterpiece in damage control following the Erotical backlash to re-build her likability with the general public but done really well and still with artistic integrity

Vocals were really good on the album  - just quality music even if not as stunning as her uptempo tracks but the remixes made up for that.  Perfect choice of singles and promotion.

Think it was a great move on her part after she had pretty much admitted she had gone as far as she can with the Erotica era in terms of shock and controversy 

Hate that Demarchelier photoshoot. It looked so cheap. Seeing the artwork Paolo Roversi did I can't believe they didn't go with that. The UK 12" for Bedtime Story is BEAUTIFUL. The album as a whole is ok. Perfect singles and perfect videos. It does feel kinda un-Madonna yet totally Madonna. Only wish is that Forbidden Love got a release but oh well. The album was the perfect stepping stone to get Evita and Ray of Light.

While Like A Prayer& Erotica are my faves Bedtime is my most played Madonna album. It's a whole mood. It's my go to listen that I can put on anytime more than any of her others

I was obsessed with the music leading up and including the peak of Neo Soul era in the 90's and I'm a big Meshell Ndegeocello fan too so I was thrilled to have her on the record and didn't know she was a Madonna signing (Peace Beyond Passion, Bitter and Plantation Lullabies are flawless records go check). Those records you can just put on with friends round, to chill, when you getting it, when you ain't getting it etc. Felt like Bedtime Stories really lent into that vibe. Those lounge albums were so big in the mid 90's. 

Secret is that quiet storm low key track that feels so right.

Love the music of Survival but don't like the lyrics. I feel like her cadence was off a bit on this record and that comes through on a few of the songs leaving them a bit clunky or over simplistic. 

Inside of Me and Love Tried To Welcome Me are my favourites. I think both would have worked as singles. 

Not crazy about the Babyface songs these days but loved them at the time. They're the most of their time I suppose.

Sanctuary and Bedtime Story (which lets be honest derailed the comeback campaign after Take A Bow) were those beautiful signposts to the next musical direction of Ray Of Light in many ways. Great tracks and while I'm used to the Bjorkisms now it did feel a bit "Tonight Matthew i'm gonna be Bjork" Start In Your Eyes vibz at the time. 

Don't Stop is perfectly serviceable cute bopp but it's a really obvious placing of "if things don't go to plan we need some basic bops to push out"

The way the album invites you in with the almost mimicking soft whispery high voice (remember me in the squeaky early Madonna you fell in love with) and just when the listener is in the palm of her hand again, she crushes them with Human Nature. (the last real old Madonna TM song before she finally cocooned for four years only to rebirth herself in Ray Of Light)

Absolutely No Regrets will be on her gravestone mark my words. 

Rounding out the album with Take A Bow. The end of old Madonna. I think it's a very deceivingly poetic album in that sense. 

The overall production is so warm and encompassing. Like a cocoon compared to the stark icy sounds of a bunch of Sheps productions on Erotica. Where Life Begins, Erotica and Waiting being the batons passed to Bedtime Stories.

Much of the 90's to 03 employed this tactic from Justify My Love to American Life album. Clean hard reset for Confessions.

as for the era. Let Down Your Guard, Your Honesty, Freedom and Love Wont Wait are pretty basic tbh I'm glad they were left on the shelf. 

but yeah I really love this era and album I find it constantly fascinating what was going on behind the scenes and in her head. It feels very mysterious to me. 

Love it. Trend chasing done right.

"Human Nature" is one of her best videos ever. Great song. Never cared for any of the live performances, though. The Bottom Heavy dub is NYC 90's underground perfection.

The title track, the music video, the RIT version, the Brits, the Pajama Party, the remixes...all perfection. Up there with "Vogue" for me.

The slander towards "Take A Bow"....far too much. Beautiful song. Gorgeous video (that No Bull special!!). Bad remixes. Get ready to hear this on a loop whenever she exits this realm. This being her longest #1 right after Erotica?! THE POWER.

Everything about "Secret" is perfect and we need all that footage of her bad drag look that got scrapped from the first video shoot.

Tupac should have been kept on "I'd Rather Be Your Lover". "Don't Stop" should have gotten some promo only remixes. 

She had a very hard time making it cohesive and imo its one of her most cohesive, even with all the different producers and sounds. Can listen to it start to finish with no skips. 

Furry Bear should have been a bonus track complete with bitch track versions by Junior. What an era!