Your Opinion On Bedtime Stories?

50ft Queenie

It´s amazing how her voice changes from album to album, I mean, in Bedtime stories she had this whispering but polished, warm voice, so different to Like a prayer, Like a virgin or even Erotica, where she is robotic for the most part of it, and for You´ll see one year later she was in full throated voice, singing the hell out of a big ballad doing an amazing job, and then singing Evita with a perfect broadway belter voice. It´s insane!

8 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

It´s amazing how her voice changes from album to album, I mean, in Bedtime stories she had this whispering but polished, warm voice, so different to Like a prayer, Like a virgin or even Erotica, where she is robotic for the most part of it, and for You´ll see one year later she was in full throated voice, singing the hell out of a big ballad doing an amazing job, and then singing Evita with a perfect broadway belter voice. It´s insane!

I actually think the mumble Illuminati, Future and on some parts of Crave voice is another incarnation of her range. I personally love that version too and think it's another colour in her palette. 

33 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I actually think the mumble Illuminati, Future and on some parts of Crave voice is another incarnation of her range. I personally love that version too and think it's another colour in her palette. 

I'm still in love with the "Crave" voice. Part of it seems to be taken from or inspired by the type of delivery of current alternative pop artists like Halsey, for instance. But they way Madonna makes it hers, once again, is amazing. With such emotion.

More of that, please!

Love,  love, loved it! It's so Lucious, a true antidote to the aggressive Erotica (which I absolutely loved and is still my all time favorite madonna record!).

The artwork, the amazing velvet promo cd, the pink vinyl, the entire era was amazing. I was also so young back then and being in Australia and living in a regional part of Australia, we didn't get alot of the maxi singles - or imports - and I remember being so excited when I discovered the US Human Nature maxi that I was able to import - such great memories!

Bedtime stories is my first ever M album i bought... since i fell in love with the song Secret when i opened the tv at Much Music ... i instantly fell in love with the song, the beat, the music video... then i bought the album... and i was just listening to the same song ... then Take a bow was released ... 

The album is very good, her voice is great, we got lucky to get some bonus tracks : freedom (not the best), let down your guard (good) and your honesty (great, i love when she speaks French) 

so for me, this album has like 14 tracks with the 3 bonus tracks

i hope 2022 will bring us more Madonna : Madame X dvd, new single, and the re edition of her albums on deluxe edition.

Dom

I like the album a lot, and would say that for the best parts, along with Erotica and I'm Breathless, it could've done with real drums and percussion, juxtaposed with bass, keys and guitars, would've formed a great rhythm section and thus creating an authentic jazz album. The vocals are great and sound sincere and the writing as well as themes explored make for an introspective experience.

It’s not in my top five but almost. Sanctuary and Bedtime Story were the most exciting for me at the time.  I loved the Human Nature video, her look and most importantly message.  The only two songs I skip are Take a Bow and Love Tried To Welcome Me. I have a lot of great memories attached to this album; buying the Bedtime story book CD from the upstairs chill out zone of a nightclub we used to go to (and then almost leaving it behind because I was slightly high), making new pals at my first job, meeting my now husband…. I love listening to it during the dark winter months :luv:

Ok, it's a Madonna's album so it's good, but boring. Too boring. And this album has my first hated song created by Madonna: Human Nature (I'm not sorry, It's my human nature...)
 I only love Sanctuary and Bedtime Story, and I like Love Tried to Welcome Me, Secret, and Take A Bow. The rest... Thanks god for the remixes and the Bedtime Story Video-Clip.  The remixes kept me as Madonna's fan (I even love the "Human Nature" remixes).

Tough crowd.

My most played album. It's  lush, soft and dreamy with delicious vocals.
While I can't say it's my favourite, I'm always drawn to it hence why it's my most played. From beginning to end...bellisima!

I’d agree completely if it wasn’t for Don’t Stop…

It was the first Madonna album I ever bought myself.

Every one of its music videos is a great work of art.

I will always have Inside Of Me inside of me.

I’ll never explain again.

Like Erotica, it's aged very well and I always go to it when I want some laid-back Madonna. I love her voice on this album and as others have mentioned, the videos from this album are some of her best. My only wish is she'd carried on working with Andre Betts on this album, the work he did on Justify My Love, Erotica and Me'Shell's album the year before was great and I would have liked to have heard more from M & Dre. Not a massive fan of the album photography though, it was the first time I thought her image was a bit meh

Absolutely love Andre Betts’ production.

Absolutely love Demarchelier’s photography here.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:27 PM, Alpha said:

Hate that Demarchelier photoshoot. It looked so cheap. Seeing the artwork Paolo Roversi did I can't believe they didn't go with that. The UK 12" for Bedtime Story is BEAUTIFUL. The album as a whole is ok. Perfect singles and perfect videos. It does feel kinda un-Madonna yet totally Madonna. Only wish is that Forbidden Love got a release but oh well. The album was the perfect stepping stone to get Evita and Ray of Light.

I LOVE that room / mint colors. It's so calming, i even wanted to paint my walls and furniture to make it look the same as a child

On 1/12/2022 at 8:48 PM, steady75 said:

Where Life Begins, Erotica and Waiting being the batons passed to Bedtime Stories.

Agree 100%, that's why, being these tracks with Fever, Rain, Why's it so hard and Secret Garden my favourite tracks from my favourite album, I still love Bedtime Stories. And listening to the early Pat Leonard demotape for Ray of Light I think that Bedtime Story also set the mood for it, the ROL early tracks were dark and suspended versions of the energetic and lighter Orbit productions.

Even if not experimental and adventurous as Erotica or Ray of Light, except the title track, the album was a full round exploration of the R&B/new soul scene of the time, from the most poppy radio-oriented tracks (Take a bow did its job) to the trip hop brit sound (wich I still die for, 30 years later: Inside of Me or Sanctuary are excellent examples of that), from the lush soul ballads and funks (Love tried to welcome me, Forbidden love or Secret) to the Nellee Hooper kind of new soul emerging around those years (Survival). I always felt like Human Nature had a crush for Prince's typical sound and always loved this idea. Loved most of the lyrics, especially Love tried to welcome me, Human Nature and Bedtime Story.

The videos, as everybody reported, are among her best ones, I'm especially intrigued by the cinematography and the false-raw mood of Secret and the mix of ironic, sensual, funk and provocative perfection of Human Nature. Not a big fan of the cover shoot, wich I think oversimplifies the complexity of the album.

Secret, Inside of me, Human nature, Love tried to welcome, Sanctuary are milestones in her catalogue imo and I would also add that masterpiece wich is her cover of I want you, a trip hop rearrangment of Marvin Gaye's classic with "Their Majesties", the Massive Attack :broken: The only track I really can't bear is Don't Stop and, for the unreleased, I think that Freedom had a nice concept, but all the others are quite forgetable.

Still in my top 5 albums

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2022 at 5:22 AM, Skyline Pigeon said:

I feel like opinions on this album are very divided among Madonna fans, especially coming off the absolute masterpiece that was Erotica. Personally, I have always liked this one for some reason and I dont know exactly why, though im not saying it is top 5 or anything. Some fans try and call Bedtime Stories as damage control, I have never seen it that way at all. Human Nature is basically a pissed off Madonna giving her haters the finger in such a masterful way. The most interesting thing about this album to me is that behind the smooth, sexy and understated production, Madonna is very edgy and angry in a subtle way which gives it a great dangerous feel, I dont understand why some people act like this album is a snoozer. Take A Bow is not a track I am especially found of, my favorites are easily Human Nature, Inside of Me and Secret. What does everyone else think of this album?

She wants to be Vanity.

well, many fans hate hard candy album. Funny thing is Hard candy album is Ver2 of bedtime stories to me. Yeah, it's that bad. Just like hard candy album is all over the place bedtime stories also is all over the place. Not a solid album. I only really like Secret. And I really like take a bow music video but song itself? not so much. And The rest of the songs seem to be demo songs that have not been completed properly. Most of the songs are incomplete, sleepy and boring, just as the album is made up of unfinished practice songs practiced to make the Ray of Light album. I don't hesitate to pick this album as Madonna's worst album.