Your Opinion On Bedtime Stories?

50ft Queenie

Erotica is not a masterpiece. It could have been a really good album if all the album tracks had been scrapped in favor of the outtakes. 

I used to like Bedtime Stories until I realized it was her cynical attempt to make the critics like her, which I realized was so pathetic and made me dislike the whole thing even though Secret, Sanctuary, Forbidden Love and Bedtime Story are some of my favorite songs. 

It's interesting to see pictures of the era and how depressed she looked and utterly dead in the eyes, I wonder if she took anti-depressives? it shows her true colors, I mean did Marilyn Manson go into a 15 year long mea culpa after all the criticism he got? Made me realize she isn't a true rebel or iconoclast, she just wanted to be liked for her controversies.

love it. 90's rnb and smooth and soulful and removes the gritty vibe from erotica. production wise it's exceptional but has dated in the way a lot of 90's rnb has where 70's and 60's rnb still seems timeless and 80's rnb retro cool. but thats a positive for me. i like albums that sound of their time.

however don't stop is my least fav madonna song. i hate it as i love mid temp rnb songs with a groove. this falls flat though.

and i also hate hate hate take a bow. i know i'm wrong but i just think sometimes ballads can be sickly and pure cheese. and this one is just too cheesey for me

21 minutes ago, mikeyaj said:

love it. 90's rnb and smooth and soulful and removes the gritty vibe from erotica. production wise it's exceptional but has dated in the way a lot of 90's rnb has where 70's and 60's rnb still seems timeless and 80's rnb retro cool. but thats a positive for me. i like albums that sound of their time.

however don't stop is my least fav madonna song. i hate it as i love mid temp rnb songs with a groove. this falls flat though.

and i also hate hate hate take a bow. i know i'm wrong but i just think sometimes ballads can be sickly and pure cheese. and this one is just too cheesey for me

I used to love Take A Bow but since I realized it was a calculated apology for the SEX book, I can't stand it now. Apparently she can't stand it either because she doesn't sing it or You'll See, even though they were huge hits.

Just now, mysweetaudrina said:

I used to love Take A Bow but since I realized it was a calculated apology for the SEX book, I can't stand it now. Apparently she can't stand it either because she doesn't sing it or You'll See, even though they were huge hits.

you'll is a mid 90's celine, mariah, whitney ballad (without the vocals obviously lol) but it's a beautiful ballad. take a bow is just cheese. hate it. makes sense that america would love it bck them. it's so soccer mum boring chintz. overrated and dull

On 1/12/2022 at 10:34 PM, Drownedboy said:

It´s amazing how her voice changes from album to album, I mean, in Bedtime stories she had this whispering but polished, warm voice, so different to Like a prayer, Like a virgin or even Erotica, where she is robotic for the most part of it, and for You´ll see one year later she was in full throated voice, singing the hell out of a big ballad doing an amazing job, and then singing Evita with a perfect broadway belter voice. It´s insane!

YES! she is a vocal actress to me like Britney Spears:04:

On 1/17/2022 at 4:58 PM, stefo said:

Agree 100%, that's why, being these tracks with Fever, Rain, Why's it so hard and Secret Garden my favourite tracks from my favourite album, I still love Bedtime Stories. And listening to the early Pat Leonard demotape for Ray of Light I think that Bedtime Story also set the mood for it, the ROL early tracks were dark and suspended versions of the energetic and lighter Orbit productions.

Even if not experimental and adventurous as Erotica or Ray of Light, except the title track, the album was a full round exploration of the R&B/new soul scene of the time, from the most poppy radio-oriented tracks (Take a bow did its job) to the trip hop brit sound (wich I still die for, 30 years later: Inside of Me or Sanctuary are excellent examples of that), from the lush soul ballads and funks (Love tried to welcome me, Forbidden love or Secret) to the Nellee Hooper kind of new soul emerging around those years (Survival). I always felt like Human Nature had a crush for Prince's typical sound and always loved this idea. Loved most of the lyrics, especially Love tried to welcome me, Human Nature and Bedtime Story.

The videos, as everybody reported, are among her best ones, I'm especially intrigued by the cinematography and the false-raw mood of Secret and the mix of ironic, sensual, funk and provocative perfection of Human Nature. Not a big fan of the cover shoot, wich I think oversimplifies the complexity of the album.

Secret, Inside of me, Human nature, Love tried to welcome, Sanctuary are milestones in her catalogue imo and I would also add that masterpiece wich is her cover of I want you, a trip hop rearrangment of Marvin Gaye's classic with "Their Majesties", the Massive Attack :broken: The only track I really can't bear is Don't Stop and, for the unreleased, I think that Freedom had a nice concept, but all the others are quite forgetable.

Still in my top 5 albums

I would also add that masterpiece wich is her cover of I want you, a trip hop rearrangment of Marvin Gaye's classic with "Their Majesties", the Massive Attack  :kiss:

It is not one of my favorite albums and this is more than anything because of the sound and the work of the producers that Madonna chose, however I liked the rhythm of the songs and I would have preferred it to be a purely pop album with synthesizers than all that mixture of different genres that only made the musical concept of the album more messy.

About the videos I think they were well done and interesting although I never agreed that she promoted the bullfight in the Take a Bow video since probably many people became fond of that disgusting spectacle after seeing the video. And about her image, Madonna has never been so elegant and classy than in this era, especially when it comes to hairstyles.

In conclusion, I would have liked Bedtime Stories to be a one hundred percent pop album but with songs with a dark and mysterious theme like Indian Summer (Takara Comercial) or Bedtime Story (but with a pop sound) since Madonna doesn't have many songs with that theme and sound (Nothing Really Matters is another example of those kinds of songs that I'd love Madonna to explore on a future album).