Videos from Interscope years

nito84bcn

50 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Sorry didn’t like any of these videos - she was trying too hard to look younger than she is and yes call me and ageist if you want i don’t care - I liked living for love though ?

She was trying to look young in Medellin, Crave, God Control, Batuka? :thinker:

Just admit you have a problem with Bitch I'm Madonna and get it over with :lol: 

There are good and not that good videos from "MDNA" to "Madame X", as usual. She's always been very practical about it and seen them as promotional tools (what they are).

I'm sure the Interscope era videos were funded mostly by her, right? Maybe not "Give Me All Your Luvin'" (that was super expensive and maybe part of the Live Nation/Universal 360 initial deal, as the radio promotional campaign with Clear Channel). But "Girl Gone Wild" were Mert and Marcus and "Radio" Tom Munro, a previous friend/collaborator.

The "Rebel Heart" videos are just good, IMO. "Living For Love" is maybe her worst album launch 1st single video ever. "Bitch I'm Madonna" is fun and good.

The "Madame X" run is quite good, "Medellín" was a return to the big old Madonna video events.

1 hour ago, Fabiolous said:

Give me all your luvin, Bitch I'm Madonna, Ghosttown and God control were good videos

Girl gone wild, Medellín, Crave, Batuka and Dark Ballet were ok

Turn up the radio and Living for love were not very good

Turn up the radio and Living for love are better than Jump, Give it 2 me or Celebration, though... 

Some great ideas but they weren't very well realised.

GMAYL is her best and most ambitious video since the 90's. Hung Up (was pretty basic but well executed).

Bitch I'm Madonna is a vibrant hoot but the features were shoehorned for dear life which really let it down. 

Notable moments.

Forgive Me - Girl Gone WIld

Closing moments of Batuka

Concept of Dark Ballet

Toe Lick - Medellin

Cute: Crave , Ghosttown, God Control

Too try hard: Medellin / Living For Love 

Dud: Turn Up The Radio

It's been a mixed bag like most decades but I think the concepts for the last 15 years have mostly been too simple or too convoluted, not a lot of fun and miss the iconic nature of her Warner years. . Other artists have annihilated her in terms of video for a long time and that didn't need to be the case at all. 

and Turn Up The Radio is a ghastly 5:13. If ever a single song in her discography needed a quick punk 3:30 edit and video it was that one. She's so wooden and forced and it just didn't come off as wild and fun as she wanted. Directors fault no doubt. It needed fast edits and energy and high camp. It looks like a rehearsal for camera angles. 

"Turn Up The Radio" as a music video was refreshing to see at the time cause she was out of a bloody closed set/studio for the first time in years... actually her first outside video since "Hung Up", right?

The Instagram filter hasn't aged that well but she looks great. And it gave us the boobs gifs haha

1431751373-tumblr_m74jhiQyWW1qmn733o1_50

In all honesty the last video fo hers i really enjoyed was Hollywood. The first video she did i was not impressed with and liked was Die Another Day (and i love love love that song). The whole confessions era looks cheap (yes Hung Up is iconic but only for the pink leotard scenes). 4 Minutes is, i don't know, sterile. GiveIt2Me is a photoshoot  just like Turn Up The Radio. The fan Celebration video is superior to the Madonna only one imo. Gimme All Your Lovin' is fun though with its cartoonest take on Madonna (the song though). Same for Girl Gone Wild, another photoshoot, a beautiful one though but still just like a magazine portfolio come to life (and that song too, the one i hate the most in her catalog). I still don't understand the Living For Love video. Why so dark  for an uplifting song ? I loved the references to Francis Bacon but truly it would have fitted Devil Pray best. Ghosttown is quite embarrassing. She's beautiful in it but the video is sadly filled with too many clichés it could have been perfect without the kid and the dance scene is its saving grace. Bitch I'M Madonna is super fun and it really made the song better. Medellin is pretty but it's too much and not enough at the same time. The storyline if there is one is very messy. Batuka & Dark Ballet are good. She looks pretty in Crave but she's dressed like Edina Moonsoon and looks demented when she's dancing out of synch. Oh, i forgot the toilet bowl freshner commercial that was the Love Profusion video. So the videos were a bit better in quality on Interscope but they are not memorable either. 

Give Me All Your Luvin' is one of the best videos she has done in the last decade, unfortunately we can't say the same about the song. Girl Gone Wild has a great video, she looks stunning in it and the choreography is amazing. Turn Up the Radio can choke.

choke-tiffany.gif 
Living for Love was dissapointing, specially with that exaggerated red filter... Ghosttown was pretty good and Bitch I'm Madonna was fun. The only bad thing about that video is Nicki on the screen... Honey get the girl on a plane.
The Madame X videos were all pretty good and a huge improvement. My only wish would've been that they didn't over edit everything so much, something less is more.

5 hours ago, nito84bcn said:

I think all of them are superior to some of the last Warner ones. 

You said it. 

God... the things I have to read in threads like these :dead:Madonna proved during the 2010s that she still cared about the format. Let's start talking what's coming next though cause I'm afraid we're doomed to go through another desert :) So enjoy what she did give you, ungrateful c***s :lol:

I never understood the matador look for Rebel Heart. Nothing related to the concept, artwork of the album, or single, plus the same S&S look that she had forever back in the day. But is still a better video than Love profusion, Jump or Give it 2 me (somehow I like the Get together one, so I never mention it as a bad example of her videos) 

The MDNA ones were good. At least cohesive with the look, era etc. 

Madame X, the same... the manifesto could be explored better on the videos, but they were cohesive with the album. 

Thought all the MDNA videos were a good return to form and her best since Music. Rebel Heart, Living for Love was boring and not pleasant to look at. Ghosttown as much as I hate the song, the video was really well done and felt like something new for her. BIM I think was quite good but the low points were the celeb cameos which broke the flow since they weren't in thr studio but still fun to watch. MX ughhh I seriously do not understand the praise for its visuals. Lol the only video that is good is Crave. God Control could've been better without the clunky editing. 

8 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

I never understood the matador look for Rebel Heart. Nothing related to the concept, artwork of the album, or single

Same. I appreciate it more now, but at the time it looked very... old and out of touch with current times.

The Grammy version was cool though:

img-1029557-madonna-grammy-2015_widelg.j

She explained the matador theme about being a warrior and fighting for love, or something like that... I remember.

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Same. I appreciate it more now, but at the time it looked very... old and out of touch with current times.

The Grammy version was cool though:

img-1029557-madonna-grammy-2015_widelg.j

She explained the matador theme about being a warrior and fighting for love, or something like that... I remember.

That Grammy performance might be my favorite moment of the Rebel Heart Era. She looked incredibly fit and stunning.

There definitely was a change in budgets. I think Interscope allocated a bigger budget for videos compared to Warners (specifically Confessions and Hard Candy).

But the music industry was different when MDNA was released compared to the time Hard Candy came out. It was only 4 yrs, but music labels reevaluated the worth and importance of music videos. Plus YouTube had become the number 1 outlet for music videos and their premieres at that point.

16 minutes ago, deathproof said:

There definitely was a change in budgets. I think Interscope allocated a bigger budget for videos compared to Warners (specifically Confessions and Hard Candy).

But the music industry was different when MDNA was released compared to the time Hard Candy came out. It was only 4 yrs, but music labels reevaluated the worth and importance of music videos. Plus YouTube had become number 1 outlet for music videos and their premieres at that point.

and Gaga started doing mini movies for her music videos which became these epic events. Then iamamiwhoami came along and was doing cohesive films for their entire albums. and then Beyonce followed. I got excited thinking about what Madonna could do... and she acted like it wasn't a thing. I think she missed a huge opportunity to do that. I mean I guess she still could. 

Just imagine if she would have done a 5 song film for the death of Guy Ritchie. 

Devil Wouldn't Recognize You (Refrain) (Realizes the marriage is ending)

Addicted (Goes Insane)

Gang Bang (Kills Him)

Girl Gone Wild (Asks for Forgiveness and acts out)

Best Friend (Remorse)

Give Me All Your Luvin  (Breaks the fourth wall and asks the audience to cheer for her, the murderer)

I would have gone to gay heaven if this would have happened. :hallwaylaugh:

28 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

and Gaga started doing mini movies for her music videos which became these epic events. Then iamamiwhoami came along and was doing cohesive films for their entire albums. and then Beyonce followed. I got excited thinking about what Madonna could do... and she acted like it wasn't a thing. I think she missed a huge opportunity to do that. I mean I guess she still could. 

But she had done it before it the past and that's why all those other ladies could follow later.

That said, the "visual album" thing would have fit Madonna perfectly. But then, she had already pushed every envelope on music videos in the 80s, the 90s and even the 00s ("Die Another Day" and the original "American Life" video are both on the same level of her best videos). When the music industry started to lose its power and their obscene big budgets she seemed to lose interest in the medium too. Don't forget most of those big late 00s/early 10s videos are full of terrible product placement. Maybe she didn't feel the need to do it that way (Smirnoff was in "Luvin'" though). "Hung Up" being a huge, huge hit with a not so huge video maybe helped to the "this will do" attitude. Only "4 Minutes" and "Give Me All Your Luvin'" since then felt like her old huge video events (I would say "Medellín" too but maybe it's just me).

I still believe she funded her own videos in the Interscope years. She literally said during the "Madame X" promotion that she had run out of budget for the album videos and couldn't do more. Also she had joked before about the "MDNA Skin" sales funding her music? And remember when she was asking Tarantino to do a "Gang Bang" video for free... and I don't really think she was joking there!! She said - in the Jimmy Fallon Facebook interview - something like "I already got the set" (the motel from the "MDNA Tour") "he only needs to show up with some cameras".