Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

24 minutes ago, Jet said:

I never understood the w.e reviews. That’s a really beautiful film. I recently watched Spencer, which is a similar tone and w.e is so much better. It definitely holds up against all the other royal family films and tv shows imo.

If you take away the atrocious script and poor character development, you are left with something visually pleasing to look at. I don't think that equals a beautiful film.

I mean, Wallis and Edward were kind of Nazi-aligned, which obviously wouldn't gel well. Madonna obviously decided that Wallis was a misunderstood icon hated only because of her divorcee status, and not for literally posing with Hitler, smiles and all. Choosing such a one-sided reading of the whole situation definitely soured the entire project and actually dumbed it down. It was obvious she was in a post-divorce state herself.

50 minutes ago, Roy said:

W.E. is not as bad as people said it is too.

Am I not seeing what they're seeing? Are they hating it because it is Madonna?

I had my sister watch and distracted her when the opening credits mentioned Madonna so the whole movie she had no clue. She loved it thought it was beautiful and the MOMENT ending credits said a film by Madonna she was SO pissed and couldn't believe what a great film it was. She is an amazing director. The only flaw in WE is the script so that would be the only sore spot in the biopic but with someone like Diablo and Erin, I'm not too concerned.  

Also...someone like Tom Ford can direct A Single Man and get praise yet Madonna can't for WE is criminal. 

3 hours ago, Jet said:

I never understood the w.e reviews. That’s a really beautiful film. I recently watched Spencer, which is a similar tone and w.e is so much better. It definitely holds up against all the other royal family films and tv shows imo.

That Spencer film was sooooo boring I fell asleep during it lol ?

9 hours ago, Skyline Pigeon said:

It is likely this biopic is going to be destroyed by critics regardless of its quality, articles have already started even though we still know next to nothing about it. So yeah, I view it as hurting her legacy. Madonna also has a mediocre track record as a director up to this point so why should I expect it to be anything other than bad? some call that being cynical, I call it being realistic and if I am wrong that would be amazing as I would love to see Madonna's projects do well.

"Mediocre"?  I Am Because We Are and W.E. are great films.  Admittedly, I have not seen Filth and Wisdom but I have seen nothing but good press and praise for her directing for all three films.  

4 hours ago, New_Boy said:

I mean, Wallis and Edward were kind of Nazi-aligned, which obviously wouldn't gel well. Madonna obviously decided that Wallis was a misunderstood icon hated only because of her divorcee status, and not for literally posing with Hitler, smiles and all. Choosing such a one-sided reading of the whole situation definitely soured the entire project and actually dumbed it down. It was obvious she was in a post-divorce state herself.

That's what put me off. She took a true story and butchered it to make the film. If you want to tell a particular story that's fine, but don't present it as a true story. 

2 hours ago, FameForLove said:

That's what put me off. She took a true story and butchered it to make the film. If you want to tell a particular story that's fine, but don't present it as a true story. 

It wasn’t supposed to be a documentary on the two but an account of their love story and that he abdicated the throne for that love. 

I don’t think it’s fair to say she butchered the true story. She chose to focus on said love story. 

To be fair most of American and British high society were big proponents of the idea of eugenics at the time. Their sentiments only shifted, if they actually shifted at all, once Hitler lost his marbles completely. 

If you take away the atrocious script and poor character development, you are left with something visually pleasing to look at. I don't think that equals a beautiful film.

That's how I felt about it too. I do feel like part of a director's job is to get the best out of the actors, right? I don't feel like she did that. I didn't get lost in the movie. I wasn't transported. The two storylines didn't go together for me. I was definitely aware the entire time that I was watching a movie, if that makes sense. 

Has Madonna ever had a movie project thats been genuinely well received by critics? I don't pretend to be some expert upon her movie career in the 80's and 90's.

I honestly think A League of Their Own is the only time M has been a part of a movie and it completely worked flawlessly. But I think not being the lead role and working so close to Rosie probably helped immensely, not to mention being directed by Penny Marshall. 

9 hours ago, Jet said:

I have never seen it, I should! Looking at the box office - it bombed :/ It cost $17milliion and only made $2million :/

2 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

It wasn’t supposed to be a documentary on the two but an account of their love story and that he abdicated the throne for that love. 

I don’t think it’s fair to say she butchered the true story. She chose to focus on said love story. 

To be fair most of American and British high society were big proponents of the idea of eugenics at the time. Their sentiments only shifted, if they actually shifted at all, once Hitler lost his marbles completely. 

American and British society are still big fans of eugenics in general tbh, the way they treat working class disabled people is disgusting, look at how they've handled the response of the pandemic as an example but that's for a different thread

On 2/21/2022 at 7:39 AM, Sultrysully said:

"Mediocre"?  I Am Because We Are and W.E. are great films.  Admittedly, I have not seen Filth and Wisdom but I have seen nothing but good press and praise for her directing for all three films.  

What planet are you living on? You need to read some actual reviews of those movies, they were both torn to shreds critically.

11 hours ago, Roy said:

W.E. is not as bad as people said it is too.

Am I not seeing what they're seeing? Are they hating it because it is Madonna?

they're hating it because it's clumsy, the modern story framing it is totally unnecessary and goes nowhere (the idea was lifted from Julie and Julia) and the idea of modern music playing in a period piece has already been done by Tarantino and even Ritchie.

• RUADJAI changed the title to Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • Enrico pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic