Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

7 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Can you share the original please? I don't have the original promo or the files, so the only way to compare with the now released remaster was the YouTube uploads of it (one claimed to be HQ but we know YouTube compress the hell out of everything).

Thanks!

Edit: I realized this might be against the forum rules!! If that's the case sorry and forget about it. :cute:

You know the forums rules, but I think it's in the remixology archive.

OK I just listened to the original as it was. Thanks a lot to @Frankfor letting me know about it and its original source, this promo from Japan: https://www.discogs.com/es/release/9291970-Various-Warner-Music-Japan-Top-Hits-Selection-January-1

And I have to say that sorry, but I also stand by my original opinion. It's OK to disagree :-) But to me, the original mix is incredibly low in volume and, even when you turn it up enough, is bright as f**k. Her vocals seemed to be already compressed somehow in the original remix - check 0:29 "I let my father mold me", seems like David Morales applied some kind of compression of filter to her vocals on the remix.

The 2022 remaster sounds a little bit compressed, yes, but I can't see how it could sound better with that original source without going back to the original multitracks - and there's no way they would to that for a 1992 remix, maybe the album versions when the Deluxe editions are released, yes.

To sum it up: the 2022 remaster is what the original was but louder - To my ears! Personal review, not saying this is the universal truth about it. :-)

22 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The 2022 remaster sounds a little bit compressed, yes, but I can't see how it could sound better with that original source without going back to the original multitracks - and there's no way they would to that for a 1992 remix, maybe the album versions when the Deluxe editions are released, yes.

To sum it up: the 2022 remaster is what the original was but louder - To my ears! Personal review, not saying this is the universal truth about it. :-)

Totally with you on that actually. Think it sounds pretty good.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

And I have to say that sorry, but I also stand by my original opinion. It's OK to disagree :-) But to me, the original mix is incredibly low in volume and, even when you turn it up enough, is bright as f**k. Her vocals seemed to be already compressed somehow in the original remix - check 0:29 "I let my father mold me", seems like David Morales applied some kind of compression of filter to her vocals on the remix.

Ok, I've done a test and, and believe it or not, they barely remastered the original remix. Only a little more bass. So the problem is the fucking compression, killing the dynamic range (It's too loud). Unfortunately, this is a problem since American Life.

The Green curve represents the original track from the original CD-Promo, the white curve it's the FEL version. The EQ is almost identical except for the bass (a little louder). The line with points tells you the differences in the EQ between songs.

IqbfS1P.jpg

The test it's been done at the same volume. Check the compression (left: FEL version, right: original promo CD).

V2DeuBt.jpg

So the remastering is amazing, the dynamic range compression is awful. But nowadays this is the new normal in music (at least in Warner).

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

OK, now you're all making a disaster/"Celebration" bad remastering scenario for "Finally Enough Love" when the reality is we've had so far a not perfect, but rather good one remaster ("Into The Groove") and another one not that good that comes from an "already not that good" master, anyway ("Deeper And Deeper").

What we can't judge now is the overall mastering of the compilation, since they had to remaster material from VERY different sources, given the major changes in single / remix production and process throughout the years. Think vintage Pettibone vs. Offer Nissim... and it's Mike Dean, not some random studio guy... When we hear it all, we'll have the direction they took with these 50 (FIFTY) tracks. Enormous job, not easy.

I like that the remastering didn't bring forward M's vocals as much as ITG (the first single from FEL). Erotica (the album) was recorded with a lo-fi spirit and David Morales did a good job back then on the vocal treatment, so the remaster mainly sounds brighter and bumpier, satisfying enough.

Don't get me wrong, I've always said I prefer NO remastering at all

AMEN. Of course, the original will sound better, less overbearing on a big system.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

OK I just listened to the original as it was. Thanks a lot to @Frankfor letting me know about it and its original source, this promo from Japan: https://www.discogs.com/es/release/9291970-Various-Warner-Music-Japan-Top-Hits-Selection-January-1

Yes it’s true that the original has issues too but that’s the point of a good remaster. Going back into the original multitrack and fixing those issues…

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Ok, I've done a test and, and believe it or not, they barely remastered the original remix. Only a little more bass. So the problem is the fucking compression, killing the dynamic range (It's too loud). Unfortunately, this is a problem since American Life.

The Green curve represents the original track from the original CD-Promo, the white curve it's the FEL version. The EQ is almost identical except for the bass (a little louder). The line with points tells you the differences in the EQ between songs.

IqbfS1P.jpg

The test it's been done at the same volume. Check the compression (left: FEL version, right: original promo CD).

V2DeuBt.jpg

So the remastering is amazing, the dynamic range compression is awful. But nowadays this is the new normal in music (at least in Warner).

But I do think this is also bad remastering. The engineer should be aware DRC is applied and should take that into consideration. 
Also it’s disappointing that these cut off at 44.1lHz even though they’re released in HD.   I was hoping they’ll use the original multitracks or at least uncompressed raw transfers. But it’s clear they just used the already mastered CD sources. 
So they remastered already mastered tracks. Which to me can be an issue for the sound of the vinyl

The fact that everything is chopped off at -3db clearly indicates this person doesn’t know what they’re doing. Compression doesn’t need to clip anything. This is extreme compression (limiting). And limiting at -3 is weird. 

But I’m pretty sure Mike clips audio for an effect. (bass sounds usually) It sounds like the sound is busting speakers. It can be cool as a production technique, but it’s not something anyone who knows about sound would do to an entire piece of music. 

I’m actually curious if maybe he mistakenly set his limiter to -3 instead of -.03.  A -3db ceiling is weird and he does smoke a lot of pot. :smke:

39 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

But I do think this is also bad remastering. The engineer should be aware DRC is applied and should take that into consideration. 
Also it’s disappointing that these cut off at 44.1lHz even though they’re released in HD.   I was hoping they’ll use the original multitracks or at least uncompressed raw transfers. But it’s clear they just used the already mastered CD sources. 
So they remastered already mastered tracks. Which to me can be an issue for the sound of the vinyl

I've always loved the sound quality of the classic Madonna's records until "American Life", except for "Like A Prayer" (needs more bass) and "Ray of Light" (needs more treble). And for me it's a good thing if the tracks are barely "remastered", only a little enhance. Obviously I'm talking about the original FEL master without any dynamic range compression. 

And yes, the cut off at 44.1 kHz is disappointing...

4 hours ago, sidney78a said:

am I the only one satisfied with deeper & deeper remastering? lol:jamming:

No, there's dozens of us... dozens! 

I wasn't a big fan of this mix at the time but I love this version, it has that extra little bit of oomph it needed. 

I don't really understand all the technical analysis so I'll just continuing living in ignorance and enjoy the music

Deep deep deep  ⬇️DEEP

jade thirlwall power GIF by Little Mix

7 minutes ago, FameForLove said:

No, there's dozens of us... dozens! 

I wasn't a big fan of this mix at the time but I love this version, it has that extra little bit of oomph it needed. 

I don't really understand all the technical analysis so I'll just continuing living in ignorance and enjoy the music

Deep deep deep  ⬇️DEEP

jade thirlwall power GIF by Little Mix

Yeah it sounded ok to me

18 minutes ago, LongIslandTea said:

@Craigypants @GregVsMatt @Ayham

You can get the Japanese version from Amazon Japan now!

1CD: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0B2DNYBBZ/

3CD: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0B2DXGV1H

@ScottyX Are you getting these?

Yes done lol

I assume stuff from Japan amazon also has the obi if there is one

On 5/25/2022 at 9:16 PM, MDNA22 said:

One of her best remixes  - shame David Morales did not get to remix more of Madonna's singles

I Always thought the same. Love that mix, such a good throwback to my clubbing years in early 90's. This remaster sounds like overall boosted but at the same time a bit more distorted. Love it anyway. Any audio expert in the forum who can do a proper audio analysis? 😂

It doesn't make sense discuss about the bad remasters, of this track and whaterver remastered tracks... this compilation it's a fan product only and the remasters don't make the old files vanished from the earth... I mean, it's not the end of the world. It's only a remaster to make more cohesive the "level sound" of a compilation. Let's wait to see the whole compilation, and the whole remasters of course.

• RUADJAI changed the title to Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones
  • Enrico pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic