Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

11 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Like A Prayer and Express Yourself. The source? Obviously master tapes. Sadly,  I think many remixes were created at CD/DVD quality (oh, those days when the vinyl was almost dead)

Yikes. That's the case for the rest of the remixes in the deluxe edition unless we can discover something.

9 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Like A Prayer and Express Yourself. The source? Obviously master tapes. Sadly,  I think many remixes were created at CD/DVD quality (oh, those days when the vinyl was almost dead)

It seem like they just weren’t concerned about using HD transfers. You Can Dance single edits, Deeper, Frozen. All these were released on vinyl.

Also I was disappointed because I assumed they used the original multitracks for remastering but it seems like they only polished the already mastered versions. 
Hopefully this is not an indication of how the reissues will be handled 

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

This will be interesting to see cause legend/some fans theory is Caresse Henry took it all away with her when she left/was fired - she was the one behind that project anyway. So we'll see!

That’s just fan folklore. When these things are done they are catalogued and archived and in 2003 labels were archiving stuff digitally. There’s not just one CD that any one person can take and it’s gone forever. Unless the original masters have been taken before transferring.

But from everything we’ve seen through the years Madonnas music has been preserved properly unlike her film/video work.

9 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

It seem like they just weren’t concerned about using HD transfers. You Can Dance single edits, Deeper, Frozen. All these were released on vinyl.

Yes, many of them were released on vinyl, but many master tapes of these remixes could have been created at CD quality (remember the original recording of "Like A Virgin"). Anyway, I'm sure you're right.

Just now, Aiwa08 said:

Yes, many of them were released on vinyl, but many master tapes of these remixes could have been created at CD quality (remember the original recording of "Like A Prayer"). Anyway, I'm sure you're right.

See this is something I don’t get. If they’re created at CD quality how come the vinyl rips have information above 44.1kHz?

I have never looked at a graph for the LAV vinyl but I assume it cuts off at 44 and above that it’s just bright blue peaks

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

That’s just fan folklore. When these things are done they are catalogued and archived and in 2003 labels were archiving stuff digitally. There’s not just one CD that any one person can take and it’s gone forever. Unless the original masters have been taken before transferring.

But from everything we’ve seen through the years Madonnas music has been preserved properly unlike her film/video work.

I guess we'll see with the first proper album reissue. If the remaster is done with multitracks or just boosting the original mixes, just like "Finally Enough Love".

Honestly I thought everything was lost until they started uploading the digital singles. :lol: So yes, all must be there.

41 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Yes but my point is that it’s proof they’re willing to scratch beneath the surface and include unreleased material.

Also I assume the material curated for the 2003 scrapped boxset still exists and whatever unique material they meant to include in that will be added to these reissues 

Veronica Electronica was also scrapped. Does anyone know if remixes actually created for it?

As for the Spek software... Can anyone help? It's not showing me anything past 22 kHz for any song.

@Roy

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I guess we'll see with the first proper album reissue. If the remaster is done with multitracks or just boosting the original mixes, just like "Finally Enough Love".

Honestly I thought everything was lost until they started uploading the digital singles. :lol: So yes, all must be there.

Well a good indication is the fact that we have a ton of multitracks spanning her entire career. Including remixes, tour arrangements and vocal takes. And a lot of unreleased songs dating all the way back to 1983. All in perfect digital quality

3 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

Veronica Electronica was also scrapped. Does anyone know if remixes actually created for it?

As for the Spek software... Can anyone help? It's not showing me anything past 22 kHz for any song.

@Roy

As far as I’m aware we have no indication that anything was developed for it. If there was it’s most likely it would have surfaced on this compilation or hopefully on the Ray Of Light reissue

11 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

@Roy

I think it depends on the relevant kHz for the song and also its bitrate and format, I guess. I am still learning the whole thing because it is fascinating. :D

11 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Are you using Hi-Res tracks (88200Hz, 96000Hz or 192000)?

I'm using it right now to analyse my own songs (my own creations). The diagram doesn't go higher than 22 kHz, even w/ 24-bit wave tracks. It's like the screen is limited to 22 kHz. I'm using 44100 Hz tracks.

6 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I really don't understand all this technical stuff lol 

I have all the M4A files from iTunes of her discography. Are they hi-res? They are lossless from my understanding, but they aren't the absolute best, right?

Mmm what format you have? ALAC (Apple Lossless, the equivalent of FLAC)? And if so, ripped from CDs or downloaded locally from Apple Music? In any case Apple Lossless should be as good as FLAC but it depends on the original source. For instance, "Like A Virgin", the album, on iTunes and Apple Music is not the best source, so even if its Lossless is going to sound a little bit meh.

8 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I really don't understand all this technical stuff lol 

I have all the M4A files from iTunes of her discography. Are they hi-res? They are lossless from my understanding, but they aren't the absolute best, right?

M4As sound better than MP3s and they cover both lossy and lossless formats. Not exactly hi-res since it is compressed but it's assured that it sounds amazing. :D

2 hours ago, Arckangel said:

I'm using it right now to analyse my own songs (my own creations). The diagram doesn't go higher than 22 kHz, even w/ 24-bit wave tracks. It's like the screen is limited to 22 kHz. I'm using 44100 Hz tracks.

I wouldn’t get caught up with sounds above 20 kHz. Human hearing doesn’t even go above that really. It’s also worth pointing out that any dark blue or purple on these graphs are extremely quiet “sounds” happening WHILE the loud green music is playing, so not only is it too quiet to hear, it’s too high to hear, is being drowned out by the actual music, and definitely isn’t anything you are missing. It’s a dog whistle with the volume turned down to 1 while you blast Madonna at a 100. You can’t hear it. 

Most likely the blue and purple bits above 20khz is just audio feedback from the needle on the record, the analog audio going through wires or something insignificant. Especially in the case of I’ll Remember on the previous page. 

11 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Most likely the blue and purple bits above 20khz is just audio feedback from the needle on the record, the analog audio going through wires or something insignificant. Especially in the case of I’ll Remember on the previous page. 

No. In the case of I'll Remember is music. You can't hear it, but it's music (to be more specific, it's a electronic sound). Please, check again the adobe audition graphic. (This is the reason why people say "you can feel the vinyl in your body").

13 minutes ago, Prayer said:

So probably a dog can hear more elements in "I'll Remember" that us humans can?

Makes you think!

Well... I can't play "Like A Virgin" from the Blond Ambition, Neither the album version of "Levitating" (Dua Lipa) because my dogs bark like they've gone crazy.

No, you can't hear above the 20.000 Hz. But the audiophiles always repeat the same: "your body can feel the music you can't hear". And on CD you can hear the music but you can't feel it. 

16 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No. In the case of I'll Remember is music. You can't hear it, but it's music (to be more specific, it's a electronic sound). Please, check again the adobe audition graphic. (This is the reason why people say "you can feel the vinyl in your body").

People get confused because in audio we use kHz for both “sampling rate” (how many times per second a sound is recognized just like a frame rate in movies) and also the pitch (point it falls on the audio spectrum). 

khz as a sampling rate needs to be at least double what human hearing is, that’s why the audio standard is 44.1 kHz. It is double 20khz where human hearing stops. Any sampling rate above 44.1 makes for a “smoother” more high definition representation of the sound, like the different between a 60hz tv and a 120hz tv that gives the soap opera effect. But it doesn’t allow you to hear above normal human hearing. So even if there is actual sound showing up on a graph, you can’t hear it. 

Check out the definition of a sampling rate. It’s not the same thing as audible sound. 

https://techterms.com/definition/sample_rate

34 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

khz as a sampling rate needs to be at least double what human hearing is, that’s why the audio standard is 44.1 kHz. It is double 20khz where human hearing stops. Any sampling rate above 44.1 makes for a “smoother” more high definition representation of the sound, like the different between a 60hz tv and a 120hz tv that gives the soap opera effect. But it doesn’t allow you to hear above normal human hearing. So even if there is actual sound showing up on a graph, you can’t hear it. 

Yes, I've always known that. I've never say the opposite. You can't hear it, but there is music still present above the 20khz.

9 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Well... I can't play "Like A Virgin" from the Blond Ambition, Neither the album version of "Levitating" (Dua Lipa) because my dogs bark like they've gone crazy.

OMG. Love this.

6jZM.gif

PS: @Aiwa08Play them "I'll Remember" but they'll probably love it cause it's a nice mid tempo, hehe. ^^

• RUADJAI changed the title to Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones
  • Enrico pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic