Jump to content

Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones Streaming in June!! (Out August 19th!)


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Are you using Hi-Res tracks (88200Hz, 96000Hz or 192000)?

I'm using it right now to analyse my own songs (my own creations). The diagram doesn't go higher than 22 kHz, even w/ 24-bit wave tracks. It's like the screen is limited to 22 kHz. I'm using 44100 Hz tracks.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I really don't understand all this technical stuff lol 

I have all the M4A files from iTunes of her discography. Are they hi-res? They are lossless from my understanding, but they aren't the absolute best, right?

Mmm what format you have? ALAC (Apple Lossless, the equivalent of FLAC)? And if so, ripped from CDs or downloaded locally from Apple Music? In any case Apple Lossless should be as good as FLAC but it depends on the original source. For instance, "Like A Virgin", the album, on iTunes and Apple Music is not the best source, so even if its Lossless is going to sound a little bit meh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I really don't understand all this technical stuff lol 

I have all the M4A files from iTunes of her discography. Are they hi-res? They are lossless from my understanding, but they aren't the absolute best, right?

M4As sound better than MP3s and they cover both lossy and lossless formats. Not exactly hi-res since it is compressed but it's assured that it sounds amazing. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arckangel said:

I'm using it right now to analyse my own songs (my own creations). The diagram doesn't go higher than 22 kHz, even w/ 24-bit wave tracks. It's like the screen is limited to 22 kHz. I'm using 44100 Hz tracks.

 

 

I wouldn’t get caught up with sounds above 20 kHz. Human hearing doesn’t even go above that really. It’s also worth pointing out that any dark blue or purple on these graphs are extremely quiet “sounds” happening WHILE the loud green music is playing, so not only is it too quiet to hear, it’s too high to hear, is being drowned out by the actual music, and definitely isn’t anything you are missing. It’s a dog whistle with the volume turned down to 1 while you blast Madonna at a 100. You can’t hear it. 
 

Most likely the blue and purple bits above 20khz is just audio feedback from the needle on the record, the analog audio going through wires or something insignificant. Especially in the case of I’ll Remember on the previous page. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

 

Most likely the blue and purple bits above 20khz is just audio feedback from the needle on the record, the analog audio going through wires or something insignificant. Especially in the case of I’ll Remember on the previous page. 

No. In the case of I'll Remember is music. You can't hear it, but it's music (to be more specific, it's a electronic sound). Please, check again the adobe audition graphic. (This is the reason why people say "you can feel the vinyl in your body").

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Prayer said:

So probably a dog can hear more elements in "I'll Remember" that us humans can?

Makes you think!

Well... I can't play "Like A Virgin" from the Blond Ambition, Neither the album version of "Levitating" (Dua Lipa) because my dogs bark like they've gone crazy.

No, you can't hear above the 20.000 Hz. But the audiophiles always repeat the same: "your body can feel the music you can't hear". And on CD you can hear the music but you can't feel it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No. In the case of I'll Remember is music. You can't hear it, but it's music (to be more specific, it's a electronic sound). Please, check again the adobe audition graphic. (This is the reason why people say "you can feel the vinyl in your body").

 

People get confused because in audio we use kHz for both “sampling rate” (how many times per second a sound is recognized just like a frame rate in movies) and also the pitch (point it falls on the audio spectrum). 
 

khz as a sampling rate needs to be at least double what human hearing is, that’s why the audio standard is 44.1 kHz. It is double 20khz where human hearing stops. Any sampling rate above 44.1 makes for a “smoother” more high definition representation of the sound, like the different between a 60hz tv and a 120hz tv that gives the soap opera effect. But it doesn’t allow you to hear above normal human hearing. So even if there is actual sound showing up on a graph, you can’t hear it. 
 

Check out the definition of a sampling rate. It’s not the same thing as audible sound. 

https://techterms.com/definition/sample_rate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

khz as a sampling rate needs to be at least double what human hearing is, that’s why the audio standard is 44.1 kHz. It is double 20khz where human hearing stops. Any sampling rate above 44.1 makes for a “smoother” more high definition representation of the sound, like the different between a 60hz tv and a 120hz tv that gives the soap opera effect. But it doesn’t allow you to hear above normal human hearing. So even if there is actual sound showing up on a graph, you can’t hear it. 

Yes, I've always known that. I've never say the opposite. You can't hear it, but there is music still present above the 20khz.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Well... I can't play "Like A Virgin" from the Blond Ambition, Neither the album version of "Levitating" (Dua Lipa) because my dogs bark like they've gone crazy.

OMG. Love this.

6jZM.gif

PS: @Aiwa08Play them "I'll Remember" but they'll probably love it cause it's a nice mid tempo, hehe. ^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

Ah, glad you've confirmed extrasensory perception is a prerequisite!

But, but, but.... SACD, BD-Audio, vynil, Hi-Res files still exists!!!! 

We are not talking about to hear above 20000 Hz, we are talking about to have in digital format the full original signal and not only a similar butchered signal. And yes, that can change the quality of the audio below the 20000 Hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

But, but, but.... SACD, BD-Audio, vynil, Hi-Res files still exists!!!! 

We are not talking about to hear above 20000 Hz, we are talking about to have in digital format the full original signal and not only a similar butchered signal. And yes, that can change the quality of the audio below the 20000 Hz

Ok so what I would say is... Any file with a sample rate above 44.1khz is not necessarily gonna show a difference on an audio spectrogram from a 44.1khz file. Anything BELOW 44.1khz will start to see a degradation in sound which will start to affect the upper frequencies. So posting a photo of an audio spectrogram that shows sound happening above 20khz doesnt mean its more Hi Res. In the case of I'll Remember it may be true as Movies usually have a higher sample rate than CD's. and this song is from a movie. But there is also no way of telling it wasn't just a CD version of I'll Remember put into a program and then resampled at a higher sample rate causing inaudible distortion happening in the extreme upper frequencies. Like a Music Video Upscale, you can give it a faster frame rate but if your source has a frame rate of 60 and you change it to 120 then the upscale will just repeat certain frames to fill in the blanks which will give you a fake higher frame rate. 

 

I tried downloading the software you use but it isn't compatible with the newest version of Mac OS. So if you have time, would you want to try a test and use a Hi Res sample rate song and then a 44.1 sample rate of the same song and then maybe a lower sample rate version of the same song and then post them side by side. Im honestly not 100% sure if what Im saying is 100% correct because I dont use spectrum analyzers on songs I have. Only for music production. but I'm 99.5% sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Enrico pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Write here...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...