Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

17 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

If they did change it, it must have been recently. Maybe they didn't send the whole CD when it was released, and then on release day they sent a new file for everything? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just checked for Apple Music and it sounds the same. Same distortion on the drums and all that.

It's odd how they did a different edit for the video remix. Sounds compressed but with less distortion on the drums but shrill highs.

59 minutes ago, Roy said:

I just checked for Apple Music and it sounds the same. Same distortion on the drums and all that.

It's odd how they did a different edit for the video remix. Sounds compressed but with less distortion on the drums but shrill highs.

hmmm, maybe Im just used to the harshness now 😆

Just now, Aiwa08 said:

Now vinyl is our only hope for "uncompressed" (or less compressed) songs... But I'm not going to open mine :jumpy:

I feel like whatever is the final mastering, it will be reflected in all physical formats unless there are times wherein the vinyl or CD proves otherwise. 

16 minutes ago, Roy said:

I feel like whatever is the final mastering, it will be reflected in all physical formats unless there are times wherein the vinyl or CD proves otherwise. 

No, many hyper compressed Madonna's CDs are less compressed on vinyl. Check this list:

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/4/year/asc?artist=madonna

Red-0: Ultra compressed,  unlistenable /  Orange-10: Acceptable dynamic range compression / Green-15: Uncompressed

From "Madonna" to "Bedtime Stories" all it's fine. But from "Ray of Light" to "Madame-X" is a compression fest.

9 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No, many hyper compressed Madonna's CDs are less compressed on vinyl. Check this list:

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/4/year/asc?artist=madonna

Red-0: Ultra compressed,  unlistenable /  Orange-10: Acceptable dynamic range compression / Green-15: Uncompressed

1081088085_Screenshot2022-07-11164248.thumb.jpg.7b5baca4f8629d3b82e70b8da10030e6.jpg

Top is from the first Japanese CD pressing of Erotica. Bottom is the 2012 reissue (which is apparently remastered too) and you're right! :D

Gonna download Hard Candy since that's a lot going on in that one. Maybe Rebel Heart too. 

18 minutes ago, Roy said:

Top is from the first Japanese CD pressing of Erotica. Bottom is the 2012 reissue (which is apparently remastered too) and you're right! :D

Gonna download Hard Candy since that's a lot going on in that one. Maybe Rebel Heart too. 

A little compression is no bad. But a little. 

It's funny: the record companies try to compress the old songs to sound like new. I always do the opposite. I reduce the volume in songs (from any artist) with WaveGain to sound like the classic Madonna's records in my playlist. This is my "hung up" sounding at the same volume of "Express Yourself". It's still compressed but I feel it less aggressive for my stereo system.

4uS7DtT.jpg

6 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

This is a record companies problem. Any artist has this problem (Madonna is also affected by the loudness war).

Loads of songs now are being mixed and mastered in an attempt to bring out most, if not all, of the stems and instruments used for the song. Not to mention, it's also to turn the bass up more, keep the mids a little low and bring up the highs. This also applied to the remastering of some, if not most, old songs. It's how it is now.

Take for example "Love Me Like You Do" by Ellie Goulding. It was mastered decently in her Delirium album, then wrecked by the "mastering" of it for the Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack (because all of the tracks were heavily compressed, which is unnecessary). However, the mastering improved upon reaching to the Fifty Shades Freed soundtrack.

image_2022-07-11_172053591.thumb.png.28f9339b177e1c54d0d63f33895b6429.png

(top: Delirium album ; middle: Fifty Shades of Grey soundtrack ; bottom: Fifty Shades Freed soundtrack)

However, though it is interesting to talk about sound mixing and mastering and all that here, it doesn't take away the fact that FEL is a well-crafted remix album and that so much care is put into curating it because I think we can all agree that we are long overdue for an amazing remix album! :D

Above all of them, my girl Physical Attraction is finally given the recognition she deserves after almost 40 years! :Madonna023:

Just now, Aiwa08 said:

Oh... You are too young... "Physical Attraction" got the recognition in "You Can Dance". I discover the song on "You Can Dance".

I discovered it when I was doing my deep-dive into her discography sometime around 2013-2014 and when I got to Physical Attraction, it was a surreal and amazing experience. The melody, the instrumental and the vibe was amazing. Of course, I know she also got her recognition in YCD when it was mixed with the ending for Everybody even though it was just the album version.

Now knowing that it will appear in "Finally Enough Love," I freaked out because it's about time she gets another recognition. It has a sound that I think modern music listeners, especially in pop, will enjoy. It's timeless just like her discography. :D

• RUADJAI changed the title to Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones
  • Enrico pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic