Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

17 minutes ago, Roy said:

How so? 😳

Many record companies (or movie companies) digitize and remaster their back catalogue, even if they don't put it up for sale, for conservation purposes .

It's not difficult, we can do the same remaster with Adobe Audition in ten seconds (but I want to think that Warner has better software).

10 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Many record companies (or movie companies) digitize and remaster their back catalogue, even if they don't put it up for sale, for conservation purposes .

It's not difficult, we can do the same remaster with Adobe Audition in ten seconds (but I want to think that Warner has better software).

Wow, would you please give me a link to a tutorial or something to do so please? I would like to remaster Causing a Commotion and Like a prayer dance mix to add to this collection but i would like them to match the highs and lows of the remastered versions of these songs

10 minutes ago, IGIVEUMORE said:

Wow, would you please give me a link to a tutorial or something to do so please? I would like to remaster Causing a Commotion and Like a prayer dance mix to add to this collection but i would like them to match the highs and lows of the remastered versions of these songs

For EQ search a tutorial for a software similar to CurveEQ (it's a plug-in and it can be used in Audition), apply it, and then just up the volume of the song to match the overall volume, and use the Hard Limiter to -0.1 to compress the dynamic range. 

Of course you need practice to do it well. Be patient. 

1 hour ago, nito84bcn said:

At this point i'm tired of Holiday in general... So as as the majority here: I don't understand why they chose this as a Friday's radar song... 

It's the perfect summer song, and the masses of casual fans and non-fans like the song.

It's great promotion for FEL. :)

29 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

So they scan master tapes and rip their CDs and have them remastered?

Huh... that's interesting. I wonder what discoveries they have on her catalogue.

20 minutes ago, Roy said:

So they scan master tapes and rip their CDs and have them remastered?

Huh... that's interesting. I wonder what discoveries they have on her catalogue.

The problem is the word "REMASTERED". A remaster is to take the original stems, modify them to sound better, and make a new master. Celebration and FEL are not "Remastered", they are just "Equalized" and compressed. This is not bad, but it could be better. 

21 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

For EQ search a tutorial for a software similar to CurveEQ (it's a plug-in and it can be used in Audition), apply it, and then just up the volume of the song to match the overall volume, and use the Hard Limiter to -0.1 to compress the dynamic range. 

Of course you need practice to do it well. Be patient. 

Thank you very much!!

4 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

The problem is the word "REMASTERED". A remaster is take the original stems, modify them to sound better, and make a new master. Celebration and FEL are not "Remastered", they are just "Equalized" and compressed. This is not bad, but it could be better. 

It's all about marketing in the end. For the general public "remastered" is equal to "enhanced", "better", etc. Which is not always the case, but anyway. A hype sticker with the word "remastered" will always be more appealing than "equalized and compressed from the original masters". xD

The first proper album reissue is going to be the real test... they better do that with the multitracks...

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

A hype sticker with the word "remastered" will always be more appealing than "equalized and compressed from the original masters". xD

Thanks @Prayer... Laughing I spilled my drink on the monitor. Cleaning it now... :laughing:

Well, at least they would be honest with that sticker

10 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Thanks @Prayer... Laughing I spilled my drink on the monitor. Cleaning it now... :laughing:

Well, at least they would be honest with that sticker

I mean, the first three albums are the ones whose stems are circulating the most, I think so it wouldn't be a problem for them to dig deep into their archives for the multitracks and recreate the mixing and mastering of the originals.

1 minute ago, Roy said:

I mean, the first three albums are the ones whose stems are circulating the most, I think so it wouldn't be a problem for them to dig deep into their archives for the multitracks and recreate the mixing and mastering of the originals.

I've discovered something. The Holiday's version on FEL is the full 7'' version. The end is identical to the album version. So the original 7'' Version available since 1983 fades out early.

21 minutes ago, Roy said:

Multitracks and stems are two different things. It's better to work with the stems, not with the multitracks: https://www.reddit.com/r/mixingmastering/wiki/stems/

9 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Multitracks and stems are two different things. It's better to work with the stems, not with the multitracks: https://www.reddit.com/r/mixingmastering/wiki/stems/

Ohhhh... I thought they're the same.

Honestly, if they want to work on multitracks, then it might be risky but worth a shot, I guess but yeah, you're right. Best to use the stems for safety.

5 minutes ago, Roy said:

Ohhhh... I thought they're the same.

Honestly, if they want to work on multitracks, then it might be risky but worth a shot, I guess but yeah, you're right. Best to use the stems for safety.

Working with stems, you get the original final mix (changing only what is necessary). With the multitracks you would get another mix very different to the original final mix. 

5 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Working with stems, you get the original final mix (changing only what is necessary). With the multitracks you would get another mix very different to the original final mix. 

In this case, Warner better be using the stems. It's just a matter of cleaning up, EQ'ing and remastering.

Somewhere in that vault lies Warning Signs, me thinks. :hyper:

Final mixes are sent off that are sent off for mastering which adjusts final EQ, loudness etc.

Its unlikely stems will be used as for Celebration was mastered using combined multi-tracks when possible - same goes for the LFL Grammy Version - Album Version MT + 2 x Offer Nissim Remixes MT were used.

And not only Warning Signs in the volts,...

22 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Final mixes are sent off that are sent off for mastering which adjusts final EQ, loudness etc.

Its unlikely stems will be used as for Celebration was mastered using combined multi-tracks when possible - same goes for the LFL Grammy Version - Album Version MT + 2 x Offer Nissim Remixes MT were used.

And not only Warning Signs in the volts,...

Who knows what lurked deep in those vaults, Ryder.

The full Virgin Tour concert? Unreleased songs? Maybe scrapped music videos? We'll never know until she brings them out.

• RUADJAI changed the title to Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones
  • Enrico pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic