Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

People will always moan about it anyway, I follow many legacy acts that already put out “remasters” from The Beatles to INXS to Michael Jackson etc and on audio forums they are NEVER happy saying that the original cds or vinyl are better and the usual stuff. 
Warner did an horrible job on Celebration, from the glitches on Music to horrible edits etc but at the moment I’m very pleased with what I heard from FEL.

15 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

People will always moan about it anyway, I follow many legacy acts that already put out “remasters” from The Beatles to INXS to Michael Jackson etc and on audio forums they are NEVER happy saying that the original cds or vinyl are better and the usual stuff. 
Warner did an horrible job on Celebration, from the glitches on Music to horrible edits etc but at the moment I’m very pleased with what I heard from FEL.

Exactly. And what sounds best is often personal opinion. For eg look at the reviews of different vinyl pressings and you will see that opinions differ with those. Then there are some Madonna fans that prefer the original CD masters of the first 3 albums over the 2001 remasters.

24 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

Excuse @cosmic_systemyou asked me a question earlier and i replied with another question to better answer your original question. Im still waiting for an answer since you decided to insert yourself. If you do not answer i am going to assume that friend was you and that you do in fact want to fist me. I will be waiting for your reply.

18 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. And what sounds best is often personal opinion. For eg look at the reviews of different vinyl pressings and you will see that opinions differ with those. Then there are some Madonna fans that prefer the original CD masters of the first 3 albums over the 2001 remasters.

The first three albums remasters are good but just too loud, even compared with today’s standards. But they are clear and you can actually hear the different instruments and production. 

4 hours ago, Roy said:

Who knows what lurked deep in those vaults, Ryder.

The full Virgin Tour concert? Unreleased songs? Maybe scrapped music videos? We'll never know until she brings them out.

Not all is lurked deep in those vaults as cassettes with demos are in the hands of Steve, Pat and Shep's and Co. Audio of the full VT is easily found on YT and outtakes of photoshoots and videos are in hands of die-hard fans with connections obviously and demos too out of BS and HS to begin with. Surely some stuff better stay in the vaults and ever noticed how bloopers of her music videos  never surfaced? Apart the ones seen on B-rolls...

1 hour ago, cosmic_system said:

Celebration was a total disaster and such a missed opportunity ....

I think we are being a bit naive here. 

My guess is that the FEL version of holiday is just an edited rip of the album version (hoping they took it from the first 1984 pressing so this is the least tweaked version) 

People working with masters is rare. It's so time consuming. So I'm not talking about stems or multitrack. We are fans. But usually, people working on those releases are not. And they would see no point in re doing a mix identical to the original. 

10years ago the only serious guy for me was Tom Parker. He did amazing pwl re issues. And he could because he had access to pwl's vaults. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm just like you and expect the best from these reissues (instru, demos, unreleased...) but I know people working on this kind of project. 

4 hours ago, Roy said:

Just a matter of making them sound better because each stem may be in need of re-EQing. :D

For example, "Like A Prayer" album only need re-EQing one thing, the bass stem. The rest is perfect. Yes, you can change that with the final stereo mix, but that can affect others elements.

3 hours ago, nito84bcn said:

It's summer I agree, but no. It's not a great promotion.

Why not?

It's one of her biggest hits, people will see the new record cover when they listen to the song and some of them will get curious and maybe buy the album.

We can't expect her to release a song like Impressive Instant because WE like it. The remix is boring and people lose interest very quickly these days.
She has to play it safe, and Holiday is a super hit!

We'll see tomorrow with the first Release Radar results. It's true that "Deeper" and "Ray Of Light" remixes didn't do that well initially on Spotify (they gained power with time, though, and are above 500.000 streams both now), so maybe they've chosen a safe option to try to get people's attention and not risking them skipping it on Release Radar.

As @Celebrationjust said we want the "Impressive Instant" remix now but it would be a lost opportunity on Spotify at the moment, it's too die hard fans only.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

We'll see tomorrow with the first Release Radar results. It's true that "Deeper" and "Ray Of Light" remixes didn't do that well initially on Spotify (they gained power with time, though, and are above 500.000 streams both now), so maybe they've chosen a safe option to try to get people's attention and not risking them skipping it on Release Radar.

As @Celebrationjust said we want the "Impressive Instant" remix now but it would be a lost opportunity on Spotify at the moment, it's too die hard fans only.

Another good idea for the next Release Radar would be either Open Your Heart or Like a Virgin. That would be nice. :D

31 minutes ago, Celebration said:

Why not?

It's one of her biggest hits, people will see the new record cover when they listen to the song and some of them will get curious and maybe buy the album.

We can't expect her to release a song like Impressive Instant because WE like it. The remix is boring and people lose interest very quickly these days.
She has to play it safe, and Holiday is a super hit!

Holiday has at least 3 or 4 versions already on streaming and they sound the same. Nothing new for general public.

Do you see any hype on social media with this track? No right? 

So it wasn't the right track to release to show the diversity of her remix and club catalog. That's it.

2 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

Holiday has at least 3 or 4 versions already on streaming and they sound the same. Nothing new for general public.

So it wasn't the right track to release to show the diversity of her remix and club catalog. That's it.

It's not only hype on social media. It's people not skipping it and pass into the next track when it appears on their Release Radar playlists. Anyway, we'll see tomorrow if it worked or not. :-)

So yesterday for the first time I played FEL… don’t @ me lol… WTF is going on Everybody??? It’s loud & her voice is not clearly heard over the music! Is it the remix or the work they did? From Secret till the end is good but it would be so much better if all the remixes were mixed together. 

1 hour ago, nito84bcn said:

We have to coddle the general public.  The general public loves Holiday.  The company is reminding the world tgat they do actually love M.  Nothing "shiny and new" but this release is meant to appeal to all Madonna fans.... casual and those Super fans with restraining orders.  Haha It does sound bright though.  Great remaster!

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

So then why say they're the 7" versions! As pointless as them saying PA is the YCD remix when there is no such thing!

Well technically it’s accurate cause those are the versions used on the 7” singles. But also it’s strange that in other cases they used unique versions that are unreleased. 
I think it would have been cool if they commissioned someone to remix everything up until justify my love. 
Since most of those songs  are very similar to the album versions while after that they start to be real remixes

12 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

The problem is the word "REMASTERED". A remaster is to take the original stems, modify them to sound better, and make a new master. Celebration and FEL are not "Remastered", they are just "Equalized" and compressed. This is not bad, but it could be better. 

I’m not sure about this but lately I’ve been reading a bit about remastering and it seems like it never involves the multitracks.  It’s always done properly by using a completely unmastered version of the song.

When they tweak the actual multitrack it’s considered a re-mix. 

18 minutes ago, Ayham said:

So yesterday for the first time I played FEL… don’t @ me lol… WTF is going on Everybody??? It’s loud & her voice is not clearly heard over the music! Is it the remix or the work they did? From Secret till the end is good but it would be so much better if all the remixes were mixed together. 

It's that spicy remastering, Ayham. :laughing:

16 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I’m not sure about this but lately I’ve been reading a bit about remastering and it seems like it never involves the multitracks.  It’s always done properly by using a completely unmastered version of the song.

Yes, that is what I mean: nowadays in music a remaster is to take the final stereo mix and to change the EQ and the volume. And to me that is not a proper "remaster". And I've said earlier, that is no bad.

In movies for example, a remastered sound is to create a new re-mix from the multitracks (to obtain a better stereo track, or a new 5.1 track, etc, etc, etc). So to me the word "remaster" means to works with multitrack (or stems).

7 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Yes, that is what I mean: nowadays in music a remaster is to take the final stereo mix and to change the EQ and the volume. And to me that is not a proper "remaster". And I've said earlier, that is no bad.

In movies for example, a remastered sound is to create a new re-mix from the multitracks (to obtain a better stereo track, or a new 5.1 track, etc, etc, etc). So to me the word "remaster" means to works with multitrack (or stems).

Like Grease, for example. During its 40th anniversary, they made a new mix for the movie to improve on their previous audio mix since a lot of fans weren't happy with it.

In the case of FEL, it's a matter of making it sound richer and more modern for the new generation of listeners to hear and so far, it delivered and the remastering, although squashed in some aspects, made the remixes sound good. :D

32 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

You are right.

But sometimes they use stems for what is called “stem mastering,” which is essentially the same process as mastering but with more control over each element.

But this is something I believe only became a thing more recently. In the past it was always just a stereo mix the mastering engineer worked with after the song had been mixed.

Mastering is a specialized craft that the best engineers spend years developing an ear for. It is always someone independent from the music producer.

• RUADJAI changed the title to Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones
  • Enrico pinned this topic
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic