Finally Enough Love: 50 Number Ones

34 minutes ago, Ayham said:

I’m still in a shock about the fact God Control did get a proper remixes released… wondering WHY???? Would have been another #1 for sure… not even artwork…. 💀

Madonna works in mysterious ways...

But yes. That would have been a megahit, but we got remixes for one boring track after another.

12 hours ago, Ayham said:

I’m still in a shock about the fact God Control did get a proper remixes released… wondering WHY???? Would have been another #1 for sure… not even artwork…. 💀

Maybe the mini-mess with Casey Spooner caused the delay of the remixes and by the time everything was sorted out we were already in the middle of the pandemic. That was November 2019.

16 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Maybe the mini-mess with Casey Spooner caused the delay of the remixes and by the time everything was sorted out we were already in the middle of the pandemic. That was November 2019.

But the single/video was released in June 2019! What happened to Casey? Did he get the money? Credit? 🤔

30 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I guess it was a combo of several things - the pandemic, the resulting closing of all clubs and the sudden stop of Billboard‘s Club/Play Charts and not to  forget the death of M‘s longtime Remix A&R Orlando Puerta, who did an amazing job pushing her remixes for so many years.

If all that didn’t happen, the remixes would most definitely have been released  after the success of IDSIF and God Control may have been her next #1 on the Club/Play Charts…

40 minutes ago, Ayham said:

But the single/video was released in June 2019! What happened to Casey? Did he get the money? Credit? 🤔

He definitely got a co-writer credit, it was later updated on Spotify and all platforms.

743804918_Capturadepantalla2022-09-11alas13_21_42.png.de66295bbb9dd407a8534d1f10bb9e1e.png

Yes, the video was released in June 2019 but also the "Crave" video was released in May 2019 but the remixes in October and November (in two digital maxis). "Madame X" singles, videos and remixes strategy was a little bit all over the place - but also exciting and surprising ("Look! There's a new video for "Batuka" haha"). It was kinda refreshing that she went out of the classic single-video-remixes-done thing of the previous albums, especially in the digital era.

Maybe "God Control" remixes were planned next after the "Crave" ones but with all the legal stuff of "God Control" waiting to be sorted out "I Don't Search, I Find" was chosen first and in the end we never got "God Control".

29 minutes ago, Prayer said:

He definitely got a co-writer credit, it was later updated on Spotify and all platforms.

743804918_Capturadepantalla2022-09-11alas13_21_42.png.de66295bbb9dd407a8534d1f10bb9e1e.png

Yes, the video was released in June 2019 but also the "Crave" video was released in May 2019 but the remixes in October and November (in two digital maxis). "Madame X" singles, videos and remixes strategy was a little bit all over the place - but also exciting and surprising ("Look! There's a new video for "Batuka" haha"). It was kinda refreshing that she went out of the classic single-video-remixes-done thing of the previous albums, especially in the digital era.

Maybe "God Control" remixes were planned next after the "Crave" ones but with all the legal stuff of "God Control" waiting to be sorted out "I Don't Search, I Find" was chosen first and in the end we never got "God Control".

Am I the only one who really like Batuka? 🙃😌👌🏼 The video is beautiful too! Yeah I’m convinced, that’s why they released IDSIF! I think this really affected her relationship with Mirwais. 

48 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I also strongly believe that the order of the singles shifted multiple times. Some speculation there but...

Back it December 2018, it was confirmed that Emmanuel Adjei was going to be the director of the lead single's music video. However Emmanuel Adjei directed Dark Ballet/Batuka, not Medellin. While it's safe to say that Dark Ballet wasn't going to be the lead single due to it's inconventional nature, it's also worth nothing that it was the first track that was ever previewed (at the Met Gala) and it's strongly possible that it was supposed to be released earlier than in June and that Medellin at this point wasn't considered to be a single.

It was first mentionned that the first single would be with Maluma in late February 2019. And that same month she shot the God Control music video. It was at the time rumored that there was a two-lead single strategy going to happen, with the Maluma track being for the latin market and the disco track for the others. Considering God Control was shot before Medellin, it's likely it could have been the case. The Medellin video was shot in March. Then Dark Ballet and Batuka were both shot in April. Medellin was released that same month, without God Control.

My theory is that she might have wanted to perform Medellin at the BBMAs and God Control at Eurovision, to have this two-single strategy work, but had to change plans (I remember it was also rumored that her performance was going to be a medley with Hung Up, but that the organizers thought it was too political and that she had to change it, although it was never confirmed). As such without a performance of GC, she might have chosen to release Future as a promo single instead to tie it with the Eurovision performance and God Control was delayed.

Crave was shot 4 days before its single release, right after I Rise was released as a promo single, and I remember how the production team was in full editing mode to get the video out really fast. Between shooting and editing it only took less than 3 weeks. It's safe to say that Crave wasn't originally part of the singles plan.

The videos for Dark Ballet and God Control were then released in June, and Batuka in July. I strongly believe that Faz Gostoso would have been pushed as a single if she shot a video with Anitta (remember #waitingforanitta multiple times in June?). Plans were possibly halted at that point as they were litterally waiting for Anitta to know what to do. In between we had the remixes EP for I Rise and Crave finally ready (the latter of which possibly wasn't planned hence why it was released so late) and by the time we reached November 2019, there was the Spooner controversy. I Don't Search I Find was released in December, that's possibly when God Control was supposed to be released and plans switched.

When God Control could have finally happened back in 2020 the pandemic caused the closure of the Billboard Dance Chart, and it was probably smarter to release new remixes for a song that was already out rather than trying to push a new song at the time. At the end I think that God Control was probably planned to be a single multiple times but plans switched on numerous occasions and we only got the video in June as well as a promo CD in France and Brazil around that time.

A possibility for the singles initially planned:

-Medellin / God Control (both lead singles)

-Dark Ballet and Batuka as promo singles.

-I Rise and I Don't Search I Find as additionnal singles.

Crave and Future were probably added in this strategy when the plans switched, and Faz Gostoso was possibly going to get added as well (it wasn't planned as part of the music videos budget, but she was willing to shoot a video for it).

Interesting observation. This just goes to show how messy the era was, with no set-in-stone plan. 

I truly thought Crave would do well because it was radio friendly. It shocked me how quickly it was released after Medellín which I'm sure was Interscope's idea since the lead single didn't stick. 

I think it’s very delusional to think God Control was going to smash. It’s a song about gun control. Medellín was a summer song released in the summer and with a hot feat and it flopped. She’s not a single artist anymore because of her age. I loved the era, so many great videos and remixes. We were truly spoiled. 

6 hours ago, Curtains said:

I also strongly believe that the order of the singles shifted multiple times. Some speculation there but...

Back it December 2018, it was confirmed that Emmanuel Adjei was going to be the director of the lead single's music video. However Emmanuel Adjei directed Dark Ballet/Batuka, not Medellin. While it's safe to say that Dark Ballet wasn't going to be the lead single due to it's inconventional nature, it's also worth nothing that it was the first track that was ever previewed (at the Met Gala) and it's strongly possible that it was supposed to be released earlier than in June and that Medellin at this point wasn't considered to be a single.

It was first mentionned that the first single would be with Maluma in late February 2019. And that same month she shot the God Control music video. It was at the time rumored that there was a two-lead single strategy going to happen, with the Maluma track being for the latin market and the disco track for the others. Considering God Control was shot before Medellin, it's likely it could have been the case. The Medellin video was shot in March. Then Dark Ballet and Batuka were both shot in April. Medellin was released that same month, without God Control.

My theory is that she might have wanted to perform Medellin at the BBMAs and God Control at Eurovision, to have this two-single strategy work, but had to change plans (I remember it was also rumored that her performance was going to be a medley with Hung Up, but that the organizers thought it was too political and that she had to change it, although it was never confirmed). As such without a performance of GC, she might have chosen to release Future as a promo single instead to tie it with the Eurovision performance and God Control was delayed.

Crave was shot 4 days before its single release, right after I Rise was released as a promo single, and I remember how the production team was in full editing mode to get the video out really fast. Between shooting and editing it only took less than 3 weeks. It's safe to say that Crave wasn't originally part of the singles plan.

The videos for Dark Ballet and God Control were then released in June, and Batuka in July. I strongly believe that Faz Gostoso would have been pushed as a single if she shot a video with Anitta (remember #waitingforanitta multiple times in June?). Plans were possibly halted at that point as they were litterally waiting for Anitta to know what to do. In between we had the remixes EP for I Rise and Crave finally ready (the latter of which possibly wasn't planned hence why it was released so late) and by the time we reached November 2019, there was the Spooner controversy. I Don't Search I Find was released in December, that's possibly when God Control was supposed to be released and plans switched.

When God Control could have finally happened back in 2020 the pandemic caused the closure of the Billboard Dance Chart, and it was probably smarter to release new remixes for a song that was already out rather than trying to push a new song at the time. At the end I think that God Control was probably planned to be a single multiple times but plans switched on numerous occasions and we only got the video in June as well as a promo CD in France and Brazil around that time.

A possibility for the singles initially planned:

-Medellin / God Control (both lead singles)

-Dark Ballet and Batuka as promo singles.

-I Rise and I Don't Search I Find as additionnal singles.

Crave and Future were probably added in this strategy when the plans switched, and Faz Gostoso was possibly going to get added as well (it wasn't planned as part of the music videos budget, but she was willing to shoot a video for it).

This is painful to read. 

Madame X deserved better. :Madonna023:

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I actually think the "Madame X" strategy was quite good a total fan service. For the first time in... forever? they really adapted to whatever was happening and thought it was going to do better. I didn't see it as messy but smart: taking advantage of the new digital world where you can update plans according to what's working or not.

"MDNA" and "Rebel Heart" all got their three singles planned right from the start, at least with "Madame X": she got to do whatever she wanted to do, singles and videos wise, and covered a lot of bases, actually.

Maybe "God Control" was considered as the first single before "Medellín" was even recorded (when was that? Late 2018 or early 2019 for sure), but it was wise not to go ahead with it, it would have been another "American Life" single situation.

I loved the lighter and fun start with Maluma. It was a great introduction to the whole album.

"Crave" was chosen as a single cause "Medellín" wasn't doing that much, yes, but also cause US radio gave it very positive feedback. Actually it did quite well on US radio, it was #11 on Adult Contemporary, her biggest hit there since "Frozen". Sadly that didn't translate into a commercial hit anywhere else, but at least they tried.

We got 5 official proper music videos for the album, 6 if we count the "I Rise" montage. 4 proper singles with remixes and 2 promotional singles.

She really loved that album and it showed.

And the album is just so well done. Experimental but just enough that people don't get too thrown off by it.

Plus, it encapsulates her reinvention power, all in just one album. :D

Still my 6LP order from Madonna UK store not yet shipped… I checked the tracking number it’s still “sender preparing item” since 1st of September, what should I do??? Anyone else with this situation??? It’s completely horrible experience NEVER AGAIN! I want to cancel but I don’t want to lose it. :(((

55 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Still my 6LP order from Madonna UK store not yet shipped… I checked the tracking number it’s still “sender preparing item” since 1st of September, what should I do??? Anyone else with this situation??? It’s completely horrible experience NEVER AGAIN! I want to cancel but I don’t want to lose it. :(((

Please let me know privately when you're about to cancel 'cos they will put up for sales again and I want to be the first one to buy. :lol:

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic