Was Gambler originally planned to be released in the US?

deathproof

Whatever happened Crazy For You and Into the Groove are signature hits and titans compared to Dress You Up, Angel, Gambler, Over & Over and Love Don't Live Here Anymore. I'd argue theyre probably more important than Like A Virgin and Material Girl in some ways. Like A Virgin & Material got everyone in the room but Crazy For You and Into The Groove kept them there and locked the door. Angel, Gambler, Dress You Up, Over & Over and LDLHA would not have paved the way for world domination as much as I loved them.

4 hours ago, steady75 said:

Whatever happened Crazy For You and Into the Groove are signature hits and titans compared to Dress You Up, Angel, Gambler, Over & Over and Love Don't Live Here Anymore. I'd argue theyre probably more important than Like A Virgin and Material Girl in some ways. Like A Virgin & Material got everyone in the room but Crazy For You and Into The Groove kept them there and locked the door. Angel, Gambler, Dress You Up, Over & Over and LDLHA would not have paved the way for world domination as much as I loved them.

Agree, during this time in the UK it was the singles from films and the Madonna album that did the best in terms of chart position. Into The Groove (1), Borderline, Holiday, Crazy For You (2) compared to positions 3,4,5 for the 4 Like A Virgin singles and Gambler.

I absolutely adore Gambler and the energy she gives in the vocal delivery on the track (not to mention the only recording of her whistling!!) Such a shame it has been neglected thus far.  I'm putting all my hopes that Warner will include it on the eventual re-issue of LAV where it should have been included in the first place.

It's not quite of the solid-gold standards her catalogue would eventually rise to, but being one of only a handful of songs she wrote on her own, it does capture the raw ambition and grit she had in the early days better than most of the early material, except perhaps Over & Over and Burning Up.

You can't stop me now, I'm on the road baby I know how...

2 hours ago, Bjonkers said:

I absolutely adore Gambler and the energy she gives in the vocal delivery on the track (not to mention the only recording of her whistling!!) Such a shame it has been neglected thus far.  I'm putting all my hopes that Warner will include it on the eventual re-issue of LAV where it should have been included in the first place.

It's not quite of the solid-gold standards her catalogue would eventually rise to, but being one of only a handful of songs she wrote on her own, it does capture the raw ambition and grit she had in the early days better than most of the early material, except perhaps Over & Over and Burning Up.

You can't stop me now, I'm on the road baby I know how...

I imagine warning signs sounds a lot like gambler it I have no idea how Warner will ( eventually no doubt #soon 2029) honour it - I still think they should do some kind of soundtrack re-issue with Demos maybe on CD 2 - we heard clips of both vision quest songs in the film and they sound kind of cool especially gambler plus we need extended dance remix in digital too ?