Ten reasons I loved (and love and defend) the MDNA era, 10 years later, despite the criticism.

Drownedboy

nope still cant see , still laughing at your "utterly brilliant " comment though 

it would be interesting to know how she damaged madonnas career when she went on to have the biggest grossing solo tour for a female artist after gags came along so take your head from gagas ass and think about what you said because it was UTTERLY deluded and stupid and ignorant and something a 10 year old gags fan would hope and say - it most certainly is not what a true madonna fan would say - madonna was never going to be able to compete with the younger generation in terms of sales and this includes all younger artists not just the utterely brilliant one you worship just like gags wont be able to compete with the sales or streams of taylor or ariana - its just how it goes ..it has nothing to do with other artists damaging another career 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drownedboy

1)Loved the Tour, the only time I have seen her, in Barcelona and she was flawless and the show amazing and was a total success for her. 2)The Superbowl perfomance: awesome, iconic, loved by everybody and a total success. 3)The cover of the album: one of her most beautiful ever. 4)The album itself:oks, I could do without Birthday song or I fucked it up, and I never quite liked the first single, even though it was fun and a success, but at the end MDNA mixed all the Madonnas (the f

Roland Barthes

It's still a shit album and its masters should be sent into the sun to burn in it forever. I've never hated a madonna song ever before girl gone Wild and i still do. The whole era was her trying to compete with Gaga meaning she lowered herself to her awful asthetics and putrid dance music from a worst of the 90's compilation. It's badly written, badly recorded, badly produced, badly mixed and badly mastered. The cover is beautiful though. So is the whole photoshoot. The tour is messy, it's like

Prayer

Great dance-pop album and probably her last album with the whole pop world watching and paying attention. Amazing tour. Terrible promotion. The lack of a proper marketing team from the label behind her was noticeable here. This album with Warner would have been managed differently. The whole concept of the "DNA of M" was too cool to not use it. It's funny how some fans complained that she didn't do pop/dance with "Hard Candy" but later complained too when she was back to it on "MDNA". She r

Posted Images

1 hour ago, beautifulkiller said:

nope still cant see , still laughing at your "utterly brilliant " comment though 

it would be interesting to know how she damaged madonnas career when she went on to have the biggest grossing solo tour for a female artist after gags came along so take your head from gagas ass and think about what you said because it was UTTERLY deluded and stupid and ignorant and something a 10 year old gags fan would hope and say - it most certainly is not what a true madonna fan would say - madonna was never going to be able to compete with the younger generation in terms of sales and this includes all younger artists not just the utterely brilliant one you worship just like gags wont be able to compete with the sales or streams of taylor or ariana - its just how it goes ..it has nothing to do with other artists damaging another career 

Madonna was somewhat damaged by Gagagate (although it didn't affect her absolutely gargantuan tour), but at that point she already had 25+ years of unprecedented success under her belt. Gaga took a lot more damage from it. Several singles from Born this Way underperformed, and she's been struggling to get more than one top 10 hit per album ever since. (yes, I'm aware Dope hit the top 10, in the most non-organic way ever), and that Chromatica had 2 top 10 hits, although both fell down the charts very quickly. 

32 minutes ago, adirondak said:

Madonna was somewhat damaged by Gagagate (although it didn't affect her absolutely gargantuan tour), but at that point she already had 25+ years of unprecedented success under her belt. Gaga took a lot more damage from it. Several singles from Born this Way underperformed, and she's been struggling to get more than one top 10 hit per album ever since. (yes, I'm aware Dope hit the top 10, in the most non-organic way ever), and that Chromatica had 2 top 10 hits, although both fell down the charts very quickly. 

yes i agree that it damaged her in this way , i just dont believe it had anything to do with the quality of gagas music that damaged madonna like that member was claiming - i just dont believe things would be any different if gaga had not come on the scene ..she would still struggle to chart etc etc - if anything her moving away from dance music with hard candy damaged her but that was her artistic choice 

I do like MDNA a lot

Im a Sinner, Falling Free, Some Girls

even 

Turn up the Radio Gang Bang 

are bonafide superhits.

though I have to confess she kinda faded/faltered in delivering a classic.

But time will play its magic and we will change our opinions in more 10y. When you listen to Erotica you cant avoid saying my god that changed the way we see the world. When you listen to American Life you cant avoid saying omg how magnificent that album is. She records albuns to be relished in the future.  Dont forget those albuns were trashed beyond death. And they turned into gold as time went by. So I do like MDNA but still feel she could have made it better. See you in 2032. if God gives me life.

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

7 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

It's interesting that Red One was asked to work with her and then it was canceled he feels, because of the Gaga association. But if that's the case, I'm not sure why they'd ask him in the first place since everyone knew he was synonymous with Gaga. I'd still be curious to see what they came up with together at the time. Fame Monster still holds up.

To me it would have sounded great. But I think (might be wrong) Red wasn't in Monster though :Madonna027:

2 hours ago, beautifulkiller said:

yes i agree that it damaged her in this way , i just dont believe it had anything to do with the quality of gagas music that damaged madonna like that member was claiming - i just dont believe things would be any different if gaga had not come on the scene ..she would still struggle to chart etc etc - if anything her moving away from dance music with hard candy damaged her but that was her artistic choice 

Ya agreed there. I think Gaga had a hype wave. I don't think she's ever released a truly great album. The Fame Monster was fun pop / dance, but that's the closest she's come. She doesn't really seem like she knows who she is, which is why her albums always feel a little empty thematically and lyrically. 

Having said that - Madonna was truly gaslighted by the world for acknowledging Gaga's plagiarism. So in a way, Gaga did inadvertently destroy Madonna's career in a sense.

huh  ?

i swear to god some of you in this forum lol - i dont see it in other madonna forums ..its just this one :(  are you even fans  .its like none of you know madonna or have learnt anything from her 

3 minutes ago, beautifulkiller said:

Having said that - Madonna was truly gaslighted by the world for acknowledging Gaga's plagiarism. So in a way, Gaga did inadvertently destroy Madonna's career in a sense.

huh  ?

i swear to god some of you in this forum lol - i dont see it in other madonna forums ..its just this one :(  are you even fans  .its like none of you know madonna or have learnt anything from her 

200.gif

5 hours ago, yeezuslovesmypussybest said:

This isn't strictly untrue, but the same could be said of Britney for American Life underperforming or Beyonce for Rebel Heart underperforming.

Madonna's success post-1998 seems more about how much effort she puts into a project and whether she wants to 'play the game' or rebel. 2008 was the beginning of her rebellion against all expectations and limitations for her as an artist, musician, woman and public figure. For better (changing history for women over 50 in pop) or worse (releasing HC and MDNA and destroying her commercial success)

The only thing that brings Gaga closer to Madonna than any other artist is that her music, videos, tours, character, career trajectory are all heavily "influenced" by Madonna. If Gaga was as individual as Mariah, Janet, Britney etc, there would be no logical reason to compare her with Madonna more than anyone else.

What? Madonna killed Gaga's reputation with only one word: reductive. 

Since then, Gaga didn't have the level of success of the Fame Monster anymore. Facts. 

34 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

What? Madonna killed Gaga's reputation with only one word: reductive. 

Since then, Gaga didn't have the level of success of the Fame Monster anymore. Facts. 

This. 

Gaga has been hit by massive hate since the BTW/EY drama. Literally not even M fans cared much before, and apart from being considered "heavily inspired" by her, nobody was insisting on her being a pro of plagiarism as they do since the drama. Madonna already stopped ruling charts after Hard Candy, Gaga was the only real damaged one between the two (as her peak lasted till 2011 and then started decline), and if you consider what happened to her right after, with ARTPOP, well, it feels like a follow-up to all the backlash and the "reductive" reputation. Honestly Madonna really destroyed her at the time, glad at least Gaga managed to recover thanks to the Super Bowl and her acting career :/

Am I the only one that does not think Born this way it´s very like Express Yourself? I mean, for me they are very alike. I always wondered about that subject. I think Madonna was wrong about this, like she was fearing she was losing her place and spoke badly and in public about another artist, I think I don´t think she usually does, as she has always been quite classy about this kind of things, if you ask me.

I think the whole Gaga fiasco was a mistake - for both of them. And I hate that the "MDNA" era is forever linked to that and the "reductive" comment.

They created a bitter drama that left a bad taste in everyone's mouths. It wasn't fun cause they both were 100% real about it. For Madonna, it was the first time she felt really threatened and it showed. It wasn't tongue in cheek like the Britney, Kylie T-shirts in 2000, etc., it was straightforward. It wasn't a great look, to be honest. I found the whole "Born This Way"/"She's Not Me" part in the tour (with the screens showing literally "little monsters" eating Warhol-like cans of pieces of Madonna's iconography) quite unnecessary.

tumblr_m4yij01UT11r4it95o1_1280.jpg

Everyone knew "she's not you", thank you very much. And she was basically calling "stupid" a whole generation of Gaga fans.

It was reported that Madonna wanted Gaga to perform "Express Yourself"/"Born This Way" at some date of the "MDNA Tour" and use her to close the whole drama ("See? We're fine!"), but of course Gaga refused to be used like that. It was too late.

The "Born This Way"/"Express Yourself" comparison was talked to death in 2011 and 2012, yes. Gaga was still massive during the "Born This Way" era, coming from "The Fame" and "The Fame Monster", but the backlash had begun already and media was ready to use whatever they had to bring her down.

All Gaga had to do is say "yeah, I was inspired by the great legends of the 80s, Whitney, Madonna, etc." and move on but instead she denied everything, called "retarded" people who compared both songs and lied about Madonna giving her blessing to "Born This Way". Gaga thought she was smarter than everyone else. And then Madonna used it herself months later (when the whole thing was already dead, to be honest) to launch the "MDNA" album and get people talking about her.

Both of them acted like babies and both of them suffered the consequences. The Gaga backlash with "ARTPOP" was MASSIVE. And Madonna lost forever the next generation of young pop fans. She could have won them over, like she did with Britney and then brought them all in for the "Confessions" era. She lost. And "GMAYL" was her last true mainstream hit (and only in the US).

9 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Am I the only one that does not think Born this way it´s very like Express Yourself? I mean, for me they are very alike. I always wondered about that subject. I think Madonna was wrong about this, like she was fearing she was losing her place and spoke badly and in public about another artist, I think I don´t think she usually does, as she has always been quite classy about this kind of things, if you ask me.

It wasn't only because of the song (yes, they sound really similar). It was all about her attitude, like if she invented LGTBI community, being blond and famous (looks copied directly from Hung Up, Blond Ambition era etc etc), her fans and the press calling her 'the Queen of Pop' when she only had 1 record and a half... 

It was horrible. It was vile. She could succeed it, because the general press wanted the head of Madonna, but the truth is that Madonna is part of the music culture forever and people are not silly. The 'reductive' thing was a smart move from Madonna, only one word.
Then Gaga started to play the victim card, talking 105040 different diseases, rapes, bullying etc. But let's not forget when her fanbase and her were HORRIBLE to Madonna and also to a lot of other artists. 

On 2/6/2022 at 6:20 PM, beautifulkiller said:

number 10 i do not agree with ..you talk about her fall at the awards show like it was her fault - it was a accident it was nothing to do with her being less professional and tbh she proved how professional she was by getting up and finishing the performance like the true fighter she is ..i was so proud of her - shes 63 she is not going to dance like she did when she was 50 

I don´t know, never liked Lady Gaga to tell the truth...I could speak about thousand artists I would play before lady gaga, and it has nothing to do with the Madonna feud. Madonna is so above this, and she sould have know it better..

Still love Gaga after all. But I can't deny that her attitude is a turn off for me. Crediting Madonna as inspiration, but as soon as the BTW drama happened, she kinda retired M's name from the list of artists she inspired by, as a form of mocking her down or something, she was so pretentious. Who knows what even went through her head back then. M stopped it at the MDNA era at least, Gaga still talked about this for years until 2016 where she both shaded M (kinda) and brought this up again to promote the documentary, also starting her era of losing personality paired with constantly crying interviews to clean her image. Ugh, these things really turned me off about Gaga, she was pretentious sometimes but at least she had personality, before playing constantly the victim card to show her "maturity". Still traumatized by Joanne Era and all the times she cried there :rip:

3 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

at first i found myself humming born this way but it reminded me of something and i could not put my finger on it and then i realised it was like express yourself (bad fan for not realising it sooner ) - its not the only song of hers that steals hooks from other songs though - edge of glory = song for the lonely by cher..alexandro = dont turn around - aswad

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

I think the whole Gaga fiasco was a mistake - for both of them. And I hate that the "MDNA" era is forever linked to that and the "reductive" comment.

They created a bitter drama that left a bad taste in everyone's mouths. It wasn't fun cause they both were 100% real about it. For Madonna, it was the first time she felt really threatened and it showed. It wasn't tongue in cheek like the Britney, Kylie T-shirts in 2000, etc., it was straightforward. It wasn't a great look, to be honest. I found the whole "Born This Way"/"She's Not Me" part in the tour (with the screens showing literally "little monsters" eating Warhol-like cans of pieces of Madonna's iconography) quite unnecessary.

tumblr_m4yij01UT11r4it95o1_1280.jpg

Everyone knew "she's not you", thank you very much. And she was basically calling "stupid" a whole generation of Gaga fans.

It was reported that Madonna wanted Gaga to perform "Express Yourself"/"Born This Way" at some date of the "MDNA Tour" and use her to close the whole drama ("See? We're fine!"), but of course Gaga refused to be used like that. It was too late.

The "Born This Way"/"Express Yourself" comparison was talked to death in 2011 and 2012, yes. Gaga was still massive during the "Born This Way" era, coming from "The Fame" and "The Fame Monster", but the backlash had begun already and media was ready to use whatever they had to bring her down.

All Gaga had to do is say "yeah, I was inspired by the great legends of the 80s, Whitney, Madonna, etc." and move on but instead she denied everything, called "retarded" people who compared both songs and lied about Madonna giving her blessing to "Born This Way". Gaga thought she was smarter than everyone else. And then Madonna used it herself months later (when the whole thing was already dead, to be honest) to launch the "MDNA" album and get people talking about her.

Both of them acted like babies and both of them suffered the consequences. The Gaga backlash with "ARTPOP" was MASSIVE. And Madonna lost forever the next generation of young pop fans. She could have won them over, like she did with Britney and then brought them all in for the "Confessions" era. She lost. And "GMAYL" was her last true mainstream hit (and only in the US).

i thought that backdrop was amazing and spot on ..it was not a attack on gaga but her disgusting fanbase at the time - its not just madonna in them cans its bowie too - i actually feel she gained from this in terms of her getting talked about by a younger generation - they would never have bought her records anyway - she is too old for them - how many gaga fans listened to express yourself and watched the video or watched her performance of this ? it was very clever for madonna ..lets face it madonna is way past the point of caring when it comes to charts - its all about getting talked about - getting her name out there 

17 hours ago, steady75 said:

Gaga is literally the only other pop girl in the universe to have damaged Madges career and standing. Janet and Whitney, Mariah and Britney all did variations on their thing but they were different enough to have their own lane. 

Gaga was the only one who had that art school mentality like Madonna and she was doing it better at the time. That was the fatal blow. She was utterly brilliant at a time where Madge delivered a lack lustre record and followed it up with an even worse one while Gags delivered four brilliant pop albums back to back.  Gaga peak didn’t last like Madonna but the damage was done. There’s nothing more to debate really. 

I think you’re rewriting history.

In 2011 Gaga released Born This Way. And while the release and lead single were pretty huge due to the most expensive marketing campaign at the time, after that the album failed and she got a ton of mainstream criticism for Judas with people saying she was copying Madonna again, by tackling religion. 
Then the tour flopped in 2012 when she faked her hip injury. 
And then in 2013 she was back with artpop that was a complete mess in terms of promotion and flopped as well.

Meanwhile, while MDNA wasn’t a huge success, Madonna was on top of her game. I doubt she had any interest in making that album a hit since it was rushed messy and badly promoted. 
But her SB appearance and tour were huge successes that Gaga could only dream of at the time

36 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I think you’re rewriting history.

In 2011 Gaga released Born This Way. And while the release and lead single were pretty huge due to the most expensive marketing campaign at the time, after that the album failed and she got a ton of mainstream criticism for Judas with people saying she was copying Madonna again, by tackling religion. 
Then the tour flopped in 2012 when she faked her hip injury. 
And then in 2013 she was back with artpop that was a complete mess in terms of promotion and flopped as well.

Meanwhile, while MDNA wasn’t a huge success, Madonna was on top of her game. I doubt she had any interest in making that album a hit since it was rushed messy and badly promoted. 
But her SB appearance and tour were huge successes that Gaga could only dream of at the time

Boom!