Unpopular Opinions Thread

Régine Filange

Madonna has many great Oscar worthy performances in her music videos. The videos themselves are Oscar worthy. Not only is she a great actress but she helped create and promote a new genre of film ( The Music Video) as we know it to be today. 

She revamped Silent Movies. 

Yet, she doesn’t know it. 

Edited by Mden (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Mden said:

Madonna has many great Oscar worthy performances in her music videos. The videos themselves are Oscar worthy. Not only is she a great actress but she helped create and promote a new genre of film ( The Music Video) as we know it to be today. 

I still don’t understand how Madonna has only won one Grammy for her music videos.

30 minutes ago, tscott said:

I agree she should have had at least got a nomination, but  I feel Frances McDormand deserved her win for FARGO. 

Absolutely. I was jokingly referring to her Sooner or Later performance at the Oscars deserving an Oscar. Sorry for my sloppy writing. 
Fargo is one of my favorite films. And McDormand was great in it. 

1 minute ago, Mden said:

Absolutely. I was jokingly referring to her Sooner or Later performance at the Oscars deserving an Oscar. Sorry for my sloppy writing. 

Oh absolultely! It goes down as probably her best live performance ever.  She put all her might and fright in that performance.  I get what you mean, the performance:) deserved an Oscar win.

6 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

Hard Candy was a very good pop dance record which was, is totally underated.

I don’t consider Hard Candy pop at all.

It’s actually quite urban. But I remember loving it when it came out, it just hasn’t aged well. Sounds very dated now.

1 hour ago, Mden said:

Fargo is great and Frances was hilarious, but Madonna gave the better performance and definitely put more into her roll.

M should’ve at least got a nomination over I believe Diane Keaton for Marvin’s Room.

I remember getting up early to watch the nominations. I was 18 and was so disappointed that M’s name wasn’t called.

Debbie Reynolds also deserved a nom for Mother and Courtney Love for Larry Flint.

1 hour ago, subversive said:

I don't know if this is unpopular or not  but crave has one of the best lyrics and melody of her career.

Surprisingly, it’s unappreciated  even by many of her fans who complain about the effects on her voice and the production. 
It’s a  beautiful song, beautifully produced and beautifully sang. And the video is so good. And I remember the outrage from some fans over her dancing. They even contacted the director -who accidentally leaked the video prematurely -to complain about it. He was on a Madonna forum.  I mean???!!!?!!!

1 hour ago, Mden said:

Surprisingly, it’s unappreciated  even by many of her fans who complain about the effects on her voice and the production. 
It’s a  beautiful song, beautifully produced and beautifully sang. And the video is so good. And I remember the outrage from some fans over her dancing. They even contacted the director -who accidentally leaked the video prematurely -to complain about it. He was on a Madonna forum.  I mean???!!!?!!!

Crave makes my heart warmer and softened 🥺

51 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

What exactly is it as it relates to the music industry or record making? I barely know what a Dua Lipa is. You seem up on all the current top 40 music trends etc. So I would love to hear what you don’t like about AI.

AI is using technology to simulate one's likeness, image, and/or voice.  Not sure how Dua Lipa or Current top 40 music trends came to mind for you, but AI is happening all around... it is a growing trend in films, images, videos and anything using sound.  I'm not too bothered by the use of it, to create something original or to recreate someone's likeness for the sake of entertainment or art (with their permission). I take issue where people are just using dead or alive people's likeness to recreate something that never happened and without their knowledge or permission.  With AI, you can take any living or dead person without their knowledge and recreate their likeness.  If you want Michael Jackson to cover a Weeknd song, you can do that, without either of their consent or involvement. And while the a lot of this is being done for fun, we're getting closer and and closer to the fact we aren't able to tell the difference between what is real and what is not.  Think of all the Deep fake videos you've seen.  If you didn't know they were "Deep Fake", then you might be convinced what you are seeing is real.  I can see a lot of legal ramifications coming from this in the future, especially when it starts to be used among criminals or even our politicians to create something damaging of their political opponent.  In the near future, it might be harder for authorities to use camera footage to catch something in a criminal act, when we're getting closer and closet to anyone able to use AI to create an incident that may not have happened. For me, it's beyond just fans recreating their favorite singers singing other people's songs, but it's a bit scary that we can take someone who is dead and buried and re-create their voice or image, doing something they never did.  Right now, it's easy to say, "oh, people are doing this for fun", and I do agree to a point, but how long before people start using it for damaging one's reputation or trying to frame someone for something they didn't do, or fool the public into thinking a politician said or did something when they didn't.  AI will only mean we will have another reason to second guess the authenticity of anything. 

3 hours ago, Mden said:

I think it´s one of the best on Madame x but to tell you the truth, at first I did not recognised her voice at all and it´s like she sung it with the grizzls so her pehasing is funny..

38 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

I think it´s one of the best on Madame x but to tell you the truth, at first I did not recognised her voice at all and it´s like she sung it with the grizzls so her pehasing is funny..

What song? The first grilz sounding song I remember is during the Dita rap on SEX from rebel hearts. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is it me or she has been singing "Bitch, I'm Madonna" / Me-Me-Me type of song? It's kind of tiring... I mean she's the most famous woman alive, why does she feel the need to remind ppl constantly who she is?

Sorry but "Vulgar" is tuneless.

Glad that it's a collaboration with Sam Smith, otherwise it would've flopped so badly.

But if it's released during her golden era, it would enjoy the same success as her other tuneless song "Justify My Love" and she doesn't need Sam Smith at all.

• 3 weeks later...