Difficulty Of Being A Madonna Fan Around Friends and Family

50ft Queenie

there are s many reasons. 

She just wont give in and do what the public excepts from a artist from her time.  It makes them feel uncomfortable.  mostly peole dont like to be challenged.  If she was doing covers version albums, xmas albums and greatest hits tours they would like her more. Because she still making contemporary music.  Its very strange. Shes very prickly and doesnt ask for acceptance. Public dont like that. Also she hasnt let fame eat her up.  The public love a fall from grace (drug addiction etc) and then a comeback.

When I hear the LGBTIQ+ community diss her, that does get under my skin a little.  They rave about cher, kylie and elton.  Luv them all.  But let me tell you they werent supporting us like M did when the chips were really down and it wasnt cool to do so.

6 minutes ago, professormouse said:

George Michael got one album title bang on.

Ahhh you have good taste in music sir. I love when David plays the acoustic guitar on My Death live at the Hammersmith in 1973, it gives me fucking chills. I had the honor of attending seeing him on the Ziggy Tour and it literally changed my life. 

One more thing re: the lgbt community and M.

There is a new generation of LGBT who did not see the tremendous gay icon she was. They know she supports the community and has a lot of gay fans, but the only overt gayness they saw in her work in their lifetime was the Britney kiss when they were kids and the "Girl Gone Wild" video after the Gaga explosion. As much of a gay classic "Confessions" is, what was actually gay about it? Referencing disco? OK. The moment on stage with the two dancers and the symbols during "Forbidden Love"? OK. The last really gay thing about her work was in 1992 and it changed her career forever. 30 years. Thats a long time. And I've said it before, but the Gaga "feud" forever turned off a large segment of the new LGBT community. She was at the front of the line to fight AIDS and has always supported gay charities among other causes. I will always love her for that. But I'm talking about what the GP sees.

3 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

Some girls don't like her singing voice. Some girls find her cold. Some girls are not amused by an artist who entertained the idea of putting on blackface for an album cover. Some girls don't like a white woman who used the N word on their IG, hard "er" or not. Some girls don't think the coronavirus was "the great equalizer". Some girls don't think showing up hours late to shows is cool because "She's The Queen!".

Not to sound rude, but I think 99.9% of the 'gurls' out there didn't even have the slightest knowledge about this type of things, lol

1 minute ago, Andreo said:

Not to sound rude, but I think 99.9% of the 'gurls' out there didn't even have the slightest knowledge about this type of things, lol

They do. She's been called both a culture vulture and a genius for decades. Some care. Some don't. I don't expect the die hards to care about any of that or want it brought up ever. For the people who love her, she's mostly untouchable and never wrong. Only misunderstood.

Just now, Pootz333 said:

Some care. Some don't.

You answered yourself quite well Imo. Some people, mostly the ones who already dislike you, will remember and notice every little thing to have always reasons to stomp on you. I meant to say that the general perception, irl, is not really based on these things, but on that person overall. In her case, people would mostly hate her because "vulgar, bitchy, desperate for attention" or whatever, more than these things that literally nobody would care really but the biggest detractors 

(I'm a mess in explaining my point sometimes, I apologize in advance for the messy reply lol) 

27 minutes ago, Andreo said:

You answered yourself quite well Imo. Some people, mostly the ones who already dislike you, will remember and notice every little thing to have always reasons to stomp on you. I meant to say that the general perception, irl, is not really based on these things, but on that person overall. In her case, people would mostly hate her because "vulgar, bitchy, desperate for attention" or whatever, more than these things that literally nobody would care really but the biggest detractors 

(I'm a mess in explaining my point sometimes, I apologize in advance for the messy reply lol) 

I agree. But I wouldn't say literally no one cared about those things. Especially the younger generation who lives online and has only seen those headlines for yearsss now. I love her and will defend her against the ageism and sexism, but even I was like "Girl....". 

1 minute ago, Pootz333 said:

I agree. But I wouldn't say literally no one cared about those things. Especially the younger generation who lives online and has only seen those headlines for yearsss now. I love her and will defend her against the ageism and sexism, but even I was like "Girl....". 

Well yeah, but many young people nowadays have no life and basically live online, so of course they notice this stuff more lol

1 hour ago, blondebenji said:

They rave about cher, kylie and elton.  Luv them all.  But let me tell you they werent supporting us like M did when the chips were really down and it wasnt cool to do so.

please take Kylie out of this... she was literally a teenager at that time. Expecting a 19/20 year old girl to have the attitude and outspoken opinions of a 30 year old is ridiculous.

That's like saying that Madonna was supporting the gay community, but didn't say anything about the trans community because it wasn't cool to do so in 1990. Madonna never publicly supported the trans community in the 80's/90's, should they hold it against her now?

59 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

She was at the front of the line to fight AIDS and has always supported gay charities among other causes. I will always love her for that. But I'm talking about what the GP sees.

I am very interested in the early HIV/AIDS era, and I have read countless articles, watched documentaries etc. While Madonna did take a stand in the fight against AIDS, she was in no way at the front line. The person at the front line was Liz Taylor. She did MOST work, and lobbied for AIDS charities at a much higher level. I'm not saying this to diminish Madonna's efforts, but in the AIDS activism, Madonna is a paragraph. Madonna's support was welcome and appreciated, but it was in no way as significant as her fans are making it out to be.

3 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Because other stars didn't hump a bed around the world, release a nudie book, wear cone bras, challenge peoples ideas about everything, have orgies on stage, push the gay agenda, talk about blowing up the White House, expose the celebration of war as a favorite pastime of the United States.... I could go on and on... 

and acts like MJ faced huge controverses for pedophilia, yet not many disrespect him as they do with madonna

also that doesn't justify the random hate from younger people when they don't even know most of these happened, but they know about mj's past 

11 minutes ago, Régine Filange said:

and acts like MJ faced huge controverses for pedophilia, yet not many disrespect him as they do with madonna

That is only because he is dead, Michael Jackson's reputation had been utterly tarnished for years, he was the most mocked and hated celebrity in existence even if some people were still listening to his classics. If he was still around now, you can bet your boots that it would not be cool for young people to be listening to the "Perverted White Skeleton" He had the biggest fall from grace of any artist in history, whereas Madonna has always been musically disregarded and mocked by many critics and the American mainstream who were threatened by such a powerful and openly expressive woman in the industry.

48 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I am very interested in the early HIV/AIDS era, and I have read countless articles, watched documentaries etc. While Madonna did take a stand in the fight against AIDS, she was in no way at the front line. The person at the front line was Liz Taylor. She did MOST work, and lobbied for AIDS charities at a much higher level. I'm not saying this to diminish Madonna's efforts, but in the AIDS activism, Madonna is a paragraph. Madonna's support was welcome and appreciated, but it was in no way as significant as her fans are making it out to be.

Yes, Liz Taylor was at the forefront of the fight but she did not have the broad massive appeal of Madonna. Madonna held AIDS benefit concert as far as 1987 (during Who's That Girl Tour in NYC, where leaflets about Safe Sex were being distributed, not to mention "Safe Sex" messages on stage projections). She included AIDS pamphlet in copies of Like A Prayer in 1989, took part in very publicised dance-a-thons to raise money for AIDS research, donated money off her NYC Blond Ambition shows to AMFAR and spoke about safe sex during her performances. I don't know how much money she raised in comparison to Liz, but in terms of raising awareness and bringing the message to the masses, there was literally noone that could compare. :)

2 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Yes, Liz Taylor was at the forefront of the fight but she did not have the broad massive appeal of Madonna.

I don't really agree with this part. Madonna definitely spread awareness among the young people. Liz Taylor had a much bigger influence among the conservatives who were the ones passing the laws, deciding on financing the fight against AIDS on a national level etc. She was an established superstar and a mother (something held in high regard among the general population). Liz Taylor testified at the Congress, and she was the founder and chairwoman of AmFar in 1985 , the biggest and most influential AIDS organization at that time.

Madonna was a sinner speaking to the sinners, so to speak. Liz Taylor was a saint changing the minds of average bigots.

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

Very true. Liz is legend!!! The only thing makes Madonna just as important as Liz is the fact that she, at the time, was the most famous woman in the world and a lot of her fanbase was pre-teens and teens, the ones that needed to be educated the most. I was 15 in 1990, at the height of the pandemic and I didnt learn about it in school, I learned about it from, The Like A Prayer Album and unfortunatelyElizabeth Taylor Cleopatra GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment a sick uncle. 

3 hours ago, androiduser said:

Why are you creating a competition of who supported AIDS research more if not to diminish Madonna's efforts?! :Madonna032:

59 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Why are you creating a competition of who supported AIDS research more if not to diminish Madonna's efforts?! :Madonna032:

I am not creating a competition... I am passionate about the HIV/AIDS history , and one person claimed Madonna was at the front line. Liz Taylor was at the front line a few years before Madonna started contributing and she is THE most important celebrity advocate. No need to redesign history.

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

I am not creating a competition... I am passionate about the HIV/AIDS history , and one person claimed Madonna was at the front line. Liz Taylor was at the front line a few years before Madonna started contributing and she is THE most important celebrity advocate. No need to redesign history.

Is there only one person at the forefront of any given movement?

10 hours ago, Robertson II said:

When I say  I am Madonna fan, they started singing "Layk A Vergeennn wheeew" then they laughed like a stupid person

In my mind, I was like:

image.thumb.png.59f5e7fb975486e1b886e57cdb0c1fe7.png

Well, we didn't live just to impress anybody.

Siouxsie is The Moth Mother.

If you get =  'coz it rhymes with 'goth' = as a reply -  do a runner.

I was always judged for being a Madonna fan, even when I was very young. In school, everybody thought I was weird for liking her music because "she's old, nobody listens to her anymore" -- and this was in like 2005-2009. I didn't care though, I knew she was an amazing artist and I never stopped listening.

Even my parents (specifically my mom) was wary of my admiration for Madonna. I guess I can see where she was coming from, seeing as I was young and M has often portrayed a very sexual image. I remember in 2003 she bought me the American Life CD and then when they found out she said "fuck" in the title track, they took it away from me :lol:

To this day, though, I don't really care what other people think of her or even me for enjoying her music. The music may not be as amazing as it once was, but there's still something very exciting about having a new Madonna album. I think her albums these days appeal mostly to the long-time fans like us rather than casual listeners.