Has Madonna lost interest about music?

Régine Filange

32 minutes ago, MDNA22 said:

So true  - I think the biggest mistake she made for her recording career was leaving Warners. I read they made her/persuaded her to rework some of American Life before they would release it  - the current label won't not care enough to do that and just release it. Completely agree   - I think with Warners we would have had very much stronger versions of the last 3 albums. I think she has just been left alone by Live Nation and Interscope without much support like she had from Warners in terms of evolving the records into something really strong before they are released.

I don't entirely agree with this, her relationship with Warner had fallen apart completely by then and it was something she needed to get out of. The disaster that was Celebration is proof that she and the label had ceased to have a functioning relationship. Nobody is saying that Interscope did a good job promoting her but I don't like the fact that some fans act like everything would have been smooth sailing if she had remained with Warner.

One of the problems is that she is not collaborating with enough good musicians: ROL. LAP, True blue, all of them done with great musicians: I was listening LAP, great melodies and orchestral arrangements, where are they? Now it´s all urban and cheaper. And autotuned.

Edited by Drownedboy (see edit history)

i think mdna was the moment she lost interest in making music as a album set with a theme or a project in an of itself. mdna was clearly just a collection of songs that were pop dance, mixed in with william orbit as that's what the fans kept moaning for more of. it was put together as if it was the debut album of a modern act and ticked boxes for what in theory a madonna album would sound like if it was her debut album in the era it was released. it was built to promote a tour.

rebel heart has to be ignored really as what we got was a billion songs leaked in various versions. there was something there but the project was ruined.

madame x however is her most interesting album in years. whether you like it or not it's about something. it has it's own vibe about it.

i think it may be time for her to instead of release albums do random short 6 track eps every now and again? something different maybe

On 2/28/2022 at 12:53 PM, cake said:

i think Madonna has lost some interest due to lack of commercial success of her music. Moreover, she has never been keen to promoting her back catalogue of hits. Her brand is all about being current and relevant.

Good point.  Also these days even if an album is successful it’s usually only the first week and it quickly falls down the charts. People are quickly onto the next thing because of the sheer volume of music being released. It’s hard to create album eras like she used to. 
It must be depressing to spend a long tome working on a new album, and then after one week it’s basically over and everyone has moved on to something else. 

ME1981 summed this up perfectly in a recent unpopular opinions thread:

I don't think she has really been interested in making music since American Life tanked

Confessions was to try and get back her commercial success, it mostly worked everywhere but the US, so she did Hard Candy, a more R&B flavoured album with relatively hot US producers and that didn't get her commercial US success back either. Radio was done with her and it hurt her in a big way. 

The next few years was more a result of her Live Nation deal, which she signed in the midst of a marriage that was falling apart. Working herself into the ground was probably an attractive prospect at that point, but I am certain she regretted it.

Then she brought Orbit back for MDNA, but I am convinced she had mostly given up and was nowhere near as involved in the making of that album as previous albums. She barely wanted to promote the album, spent more time on other projects and the tour and generally had a "i'm over it" vibe during the few interviews that we got.

I get the feeling with Rebel Heart she went into it wanting to do good work, but Diplo was all wrong for her and she had lost her mojo, you can see it in some of the interviews where she laments how making music has changed and how she had to chase after him to get the album completed. I do think she had high hopes and big plans, but it all went pear shaped during the promo. 

I have no doubt if she hadn't left the US and been inspired by the music scene overseas, Madam X would have never happened, she pretty much said this at the time. I'd be shocked if we got much new music in the future. I think like Madam X, she will need to be inspired to write and record, I honestly don't see it happening. 

41 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

ME1981 summed this up perfectly in a recent unpopular opinions thread:

I don't think she has really been interested in making music since American Life tanked

Confessions was to try and get back her commercial success, it mostly worked everywhere but the US, so she did Hard Candy, a more R&B flavoured album with relatively hot US producers and that didn't get her commercial US success back either. Radio was done with her and it hurt her in a big way. 

The next few years was more a result of her Live Nation deal, which she signed in the midst of a marriage that was falling apart. Working herself into the ground was probably an attractive prospect at that point, but I am certain she regretted it.

Then she brought Orbit back for MDNA, but I am convinced she had mostly given up and was nowhere near as involved in the making of that album as previous albums. She barely wanted to promote the album, spent more time on other projects and the tour and generally had a "i'm over it" vibe during the few interviews that we got.

I get the feeling with Rebel Heart she went into it wanting to do good work, but Diplo was all wrong for her and she had lost her mojo, you can see it in some of the interviews where she laments how making music has changed and how she had to chase after him to get the album completed. I do think she had high hopes and big plans, but it all went pear shaped during the promo. 

I have no doubt if she hadn't left the US and been inspired by the music scene overseas, Madam X would have never happened, she pretty much said this at the time. I'd be shocked if we got much new music in the future. I think like Madam X, she will need to be inspired to write and record, I honestly don't see it happening. 

She literally said on the last Instagram live that she can’t wait to make new music again. 
People may not like her recent music and I’m not saying it’s without flaws, but that doesn’t mean she is not interested in making music. 
She will definitely write and record a new album, but fans may not like it. 

2 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

She literally said on the last Instagram live that she can’t wait to make new music again. 
People may not like her recent music and I’m not saying it’s without flaws, but that doesn’t mean she is not interested in making music. 
She will definitely write and record a new album, but fans may not like it. 

I agree but also agree with everything Me1981 said that I copy and pasted there.