Her face...what a shock

Thiago Ciola

3 hours ago, Alibaba said:

As this forum is shutting down, I will take the opportunity to express a few personal truths. I have loved Madonna since her rise to prominence. She has been an incredible role model and educator. She is a fascinating person who has marched to the beat of her own drum with courage and conviction. The richness and success of her discography puts most popular artists to shame! She has produced some of the most exquisitely conceived stage performances in history, and she has been able to remain the center of attention for good and for bad throughout her long and illustrious career. 

I am also able to accept that Madonna’s imperialism has long ended, and her exceptional achievements have for the most part become minor sound bytes in a world consumed by constant change and newness. Her public profile has evolved considerably in recent years due to her adopting social media as her primary content source. Her IG content has often been viewed as awkward and tone deaf, but she is clearly content to convey to the world that she lives a very unique life that most people cannot relate to, and she doesn’t seem to care much what anyone thinks of her (except for certain rappers). I respect these choices and continue to see the same bravery and audacity in her that I’ve always seen. 

However, this doesn’t mean that I find her modern aesthetic choices pleasant. That you disagree also doesn’t mean that I, or any other critic, should refrain from expressing an opinion that doesn’t placate her fans who are sensitive to her being criticized or objectified.  

Here’s where it becomes dangerous to express what I experience as the truth because there’s an awful lot of SJW virtue signaling that has become rampant on here, which is unsurprisingly completely in line with the general behavioral fascism society seems intent on imposing. Any narrative that contradicts the prescribed acceptable sycophancy is considered offensive. Well hold onto your hats because I am going to express my truth and risk it all! ?

That Madonna has had cosmetic enhancements and procedures is not the issue. She’s 63. She should do whatever she wants to look her very best and feel as confident as she deserves to feel. To me, the problem is that the work she has had done in the last few years is bad. I personally think she looks awful, and I would sue if I ended up looking like she does. It looks botched, or poorly done. Her eyelids barely exist, her cheek fillers are disproportionate and ill-placed, her eyes look like pinholes due to the enormity of the cheeks and the elongated chin, and her stretched jawline is in such contrast to the neck and chin that it looks odd at best. Yes, there are bad angles and there is always the problem of bad lighting. I’m certain that if we saw Madonna up close in person she would look flawless and there would be aspects of her mesmerizing beauty on display, but in photos she looks absolutely ghoulish to me. I understand that I am not allowed to say this out of a code of honor as a Madonna fan, but it is my truth, and one that many others also see. Additionally,  the buttock enhancement is clearly botched. It looks painfully out of place, and only an insane person would want that given the health risks of such a surgery, particularly when you have a hip replacement and serious knee issues. Again, that is my opinion, and I maintain that it is okay to critique Madonna’s physique as she has used her body for commercial and artistic ends since the beginning of her career. If she had a second head attached to her neck, would it also be outrageous to notice or feel it wasn’t the best choice (in my opinion)?

To take things further, Madonna increasingly chooses creative projects that do not  resonate with me, or large parts of her fanbase for that matter. I find the Frozen remix is of minor interest, and I truly wonder who she thinks she is playing to these days. The once intellectualized mystique I associated with her work has been demolished in the last two years. I find it hard not to cringe when I see the bizarre display of Hidden Hills McMansion photo shoots that appear far too regularly to be of significance, featuring some elfin-filtered version of herself that might appeal to the aesthetic tastes of teenage girls if it weren’t for the fact that she is 63 and they know it. 

These are just simple truths to me. I don’t think these truths are misogynistic or ageist. They are just an expression of personal feeling to which I am entitled as a human being and life-long admirer of Madonna and her creative journey. It is true that the aspects of Madonna’s career that I most enjoyed are of the past. That doesn’t mean that I am not still an avid follower of her craft, and I am sure there will be Madonna projects in the future that I will be thrilled to discover. Whatever she is doing right now, however, simply isn’t doing it for me, and that, my friends, is okay. 

The End.

Beautifully written. Nice to see there are still people out there that can think and write.

I agree with everything you said.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this forum is shutting down, I will take the opportunity to express a few personal truths. I have loved Madonna since her rise to prominence. She has been an incredible role model and educator. She is a fascinating person who has marched to the beat of her own drum with courage and conviction. The richness and success of her discography puts most popular artists to shame! She has produced some of the most exquisitely conceived stage performances in history, and she has been able to remain the center of attention for good and for bad throughout her long and illustrious career. 

I am also able to accept that Madonna’s imperialism has long ended, and her exceptional achievements have for the most part become minor sound bytes in a world consumed by constant change and newness. Her public profile has evolved considerably in recent years due to her adopting social media as her primary content source. Her IG content has often been viewed as awkward and tone deaf, but she is clearly content to convey to the world that she lives a very unique life that most people cannot relate to, and she doesn’t seem to care much what anyone thinks of her (except for certain rappers). I respect these choices and continue to see the same bravery and audacity in her that I’ve always seen. 

However, this doesn’t mean that I find her modern aesthetic choices pleasant. That you disagree also doesn’t mean that I, or any other critic, should refrain from expressing an opinion that doesn’t placate her fans who are sensitive to her being criticized or objectified.  

Here’s where it becomes dangerous to express what I experience as the truth because there’s an awful lot of SJW virtue signaling that has become rampant on here, which is unsurprisingly completely in line with the general behavioral fascism society seems intent on imposing. Any narrative that contradicts the prescribed acceptable sycophancy is considered offensive. Well hold onto your hats because I am going to express my truth and risk it all!
That Madonna has had cosmetic enhancements and procedures is not the issue. She’s 63. She should do whatever she wants to look her very best and feel as confident as she deserves to feel. To me, the problem is that the work she has had done in the last few years is bad. I personally think she looks awful, and I would sue if I ended up looking like she does. It looks botched, or poorly done. Her eyelids barely exist, her cheek fillers are disproportionate and ill-placed, her eyes look like pinholes due to the enormity of the cheeks and the elongated chin, and her stretched jawline is in such contrast to the neck and chin that it looks odd at best. Yes, there are bad angles and there is always the problem of bad lighting. I’m certain that if we saw Madonna up close in person she would look flawless and there would be aspects of her mesmerizing beauty on display, but in photos she looks absolutely ghoulish to me. I understand that I am not allowed to say this out of a code of honor as a Madonna fan, but it is my truth, and one that many others also see. Additionally,  the buttock enhancement is clearly botched. It looks painfully out of place, and only an insane person would want that given the health risks of such a surgery, particularly when you have a hip replacement and serious knee issues. Again, that is my opinion, and I maintain that it is okay to critique Madonna’s physique as she has used her body for commercial and artistic ends since the beginning of her career. If she had a second head attached to her neck, would it also be outrageous to notice or feel it wasn’t the best choice (in my opinion)?
To take things further, Madonna increasingly chooses creative projects that do not  resonate with me, or large parts of her fanbase for that matter. I find the Frozen remix is of minor interest, and I truly wonder who she thinks she is playing to these days. The once intellectualized mystique I associated with her work has been demolished in the last two years. I find it hard not to cringe when I see the bizarre display of Hidden Hills McMansion photo shoots that appear far too regularly to be of significance, featuring some elfin-filtered version of herself that might appeal to the aesthetic tastes of teenage girls if it weren’t for the fact that she is 63 and they know it. 
These are just simple truths to me. I don’t think these truths are misogynistic or ageist. They are just an expression of personal feeling to which I am entitled as a human being and life-long admirer of Madonna and her creative journey. It is true that the aspects of Madonna’s career that I most enjoyed are of the past. That doesn’t mean that I am not still an avid follower of her craft, and I am sure there will be Madonna projects in the future that I will be thrilled to discover. Whatever she is doing right now, however, simply isn’t doing it for me, and that, my friends, is okay. 

The End.

Thanks for expressing your valid opinions so eloquently.

On 3/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, Thiago Ciola said:

go back to your shallow pond, what are you more sad about? that she is 63? that she's not perfect? or the fact she uses filters (JUST LIKE MILLIONS OF OTHERS). If someone took a picture of a 63 yr old woman who hadn't had surgery, people wouldn't say anything. She uses filters to annoy people and it works so you fell for it sucker. You fall for media spin...so sad. 

Honestly? I think it must be exhausting to be her.

In the end i'm just sad she's in her 60's and is missing the beauty of being a 60 something. That said...i was there when the daily mail was zooming in on her hands back in the 2000's and calling them "granny hands". 

I was also there when she started wearing gloves and they said she wasn't "age gracefully". And when everyone called her a freak for the experimental surgery she did on her hands in 2016. Now in 2022 and here we are, zooming in on her hands once again. 15 years later.

I can only have some empathy and honestly say i don't know how i would handle the pressure. I'm sure i'd handle it way worse than she is. That's all. 

12 hours ago, steady75 said:

Fame at that level has gotta be tough. She’s escaped it’s grasps in some ways and didn’t fall into the same trap as Whitney, Prince, MJ and George Michael. If her body alternations and constantly working with people a third of her age is what she needs to do to stay happy and keeps her busy and occupies her brilliant mind  then great. 

I personally think her self confidence is utterly shot though. To me she’s had a heaviness / sadness around her since the divorce that’s never really lifted. I don’t think it’s necessarily to do with Guy but maybe she has become disillusioned with “great” love despite searching for it since the age of five when her mother died. I know she’s had relationships and remains more private now but I truly think if she were dating someone in their 40’s+ she would present differently.  

There’s a loneliness about her despite constantly being surrounded by people. 
I don’t know it’s hard to describe. 

100% agree. She was never the same after the divorce. And yes, even in here instagram videos where she's trying to joke or be silly, it's very child-like and a bit odd. She absolutely seems lonely and disconnected from others, even her children. 

Her instagram filter obsession also makes her a bit of a target. The paparazzi are absolutely going to try to take the worst, most unflattering photos of her in a game of gotcha: here's what she REALLY looks like. I worry it will make her more reclusive and divorced from reality (which is totally understandable!).

Acknowledging  that these photos are intended to be exploitative and inflammatory, they still concern me. She doesn't look especially healthy... I'm not sure that's the right word. But something is just off....

18 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

I can only have some empathy and honestly say i don't know how i would handle the pressure. I'm sure i'd handle it way worse than she is. That's all. 

Also, hard agree. I would like to see her take some time and focus on her mental and physical well-being... I think this film is a really bad idea, TBH. I know she said she wants to work "Until the wheels come off," but I want her to be ok. No one can handle this type of scrutiny. It absolutely gets harder with age. 

4 hours ago, Fateseeker said:

go back to your shallow pond, what are you more sad about? that she is 63? that she's not perfect? or the fact she uses filters (JUST LIKE MILLIONS OF OTHERS). If someone took a picture of a 63 yr old woman who hadn't had surgery, people wouldn't say anything. She uses filters to annoy people and it works so you fell for it sucker. You fall for media spin...so sad. 

One of the rules of the debates is not to insult or use profanity against the other person who has a different opinion. The author of the post simply expresses sadness for the way Madonna looks due to the excessive use of substances on her face and that generates the ridicule of the press. But not for expressing his opinion the author of the post should be insulted by those who disagree. They remind me of the fans of a certain singer, Lady Gaga I think her name was and that she was fashionable for a couple of years and that she has already disappeared from the musical circle, who insulted left and right every time her idol was attacked. Generally Madonna fans express ourselves much better than them and we can also tell her truths when we feel that something is not right but with politeness and tact and we should not be insulted for it.

20 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

One of the rules of the debates is not to insult or use profanity against the other person who has a different opinion. The author of the post simply expresses sadness for the way Madonna looks due to the excessive use of substances on her face and that generates the ridicule of the press. But not for expressing his opinion the author of the post should be insulted by those who disagree. They remind me of the fans of a certain singer, Lady Gaga I think her name was and that she was fashionable for a couple of years and that she has already disappeared from the musical circle, who insulted left and right every time her idol was attacked. Generally Madonna fans express ourselves much better than them and we can also tell her truths when we feel that something is not right but with politeness and tact and we should not be insulted for it.

where did I use profanity? It was my opinion, I disagreed. Which I am allowed to do, I owe them nothing. I'm not interested in lady gaga fans. 

1 hour ago, MadameX said:

I think she is beautiful. All she needs is just a little weight loss. If she loses about 10kg, she will return to her old self.

What scares me is not her double chin, but her lips. What the hell did she do to her beautiful and natural lips?

image.png.40fc5ba4f5f82a6ebe715dc17d2dfdc6.pngimage.png.4def9e576bca3c1776c6cca2822a8399.png

Oh God. Shut up. Honestly. STFU LOL 

7 hours ago, MadameX said:

I think she is beautiful. All she needs is just a little weight loss. If she loses about 10kg, she will return to her old self.

What scares me is not her double chin, but her lips. What the hell did she do to her beautiful and natural lips?

image.png.40fc5ba4f5f82a6ebe715dc17d2dfdc6.pngimage.png.4def9e576bca3c1776c6cca2822a8399.png

Yeah i agree. - some kg and she will be looking like from 2008