Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

22 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

I'm wondering why Music, the song, has low streams. Compared to other of her classics. Music was huge back in the day, and a signature song on her catalog. 

Actually is not that bad: 56M so far. It's true that is far from "Hung Up" (243M), "Vogue" (156M) and others, but also other big pre-digital hits from hers are around that number now: "Into The Groove" with 77M or "Holiday" with 62M. I guess it all comes down to playlists and stuff, and "Music" is a hard one to playlist: where does it fit? It's not 90s hits but also sounds very early for 00s hits ("Hung Up" or "4 Minutes" will definitely take that spot for her in all the 00s big playlists).

Time to update a little bit how this lady's doing on Spotify.

She's currently on 21.326.440 monthly listeners and #161 overall. It's true the "Frozen effect" is slowing down, but it's still going and helping her with her numbers.

The original Sickick remix is 64,3 M; Fireboy DML 4,6 M; 070 Shake 3,8 M and the new "Frozen On Fire" version is 300.000.

Meanwhile, the "Into The Groove" remix from "Finally Enough Love" is stuck at 232.000 streams. Not good.

"Material Girl" is about to hit 250 M.

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

Time to update a little bit how this lady's doing on Spotify.

She's currently on 21.326.440 monthly listeners and #161 overall. It's true the "Frozen effect" is slowing down, but it's still going and helping her with her numbers.

The original Sickick remix is 64,3 M; Fireboy DML 4,6 M; 070 Shake 3,8 M and the new "Frozen On Fire" version is 300.000.

Meanwhile, the "Into The Groove" remix from "Finally Enough Love" is stuck at 232.000 streams. Not good.

"Material Girl" is about to hit 250 M.

Was Into the Groove actually released to radio? Or is it just a streaming promo single?

1 hour ago, lucasciccone said:

They should release a more interesting promotional single from FEL. Into the Groove is a classic but the remix version is not that different from the original song, maybe another one could work better...

Lol there really isnt anything interesting to release as a "single". We really have the best tracks already on spotify and everything released the past 17 years ago has been on spotify. They should've just dropped it digitally. General public isnt gonna buy cds much less a 3 cd set.

Recent update:

She's holding on with 21.347.518 monthly listeners and #160 overall. Original "Frozen" remix still doing good.

The original Sickick remix is 65,6 M now; Fireboy DML 4,7 M; 070 Shake 3,9 M and the new "Frozen On Fire" version is 555.257.

Finally Enough Love tracks:

"Into The Groove" -> 248.396

"Deeper And Deeper" -> 14.683 with Thursday streams, we should see a big jump in the next update with the Release Radar Friday push.

And today!

21.325.407 monthly listeners (#160 overall).

The original Sickick remix is 65,9 M now (will get to 66 M tomorrow); Fireboy DML 4,8 M; 070 Shake has just passed 4 M and the new "Frozen On Fire" version is 610.840.

"Into The Groove" -> 252.750

"Deeper And Deeper" -> 33.991 - this is BAD considering it was on Release Radar yesterday. Don't know what's happening with both tracks but Release Radar is not working for them. Or maybe people just don't care? I want this project to do well or we won't have many reissues next!

I mean, I'm sorry as well it won't do much on streaming numbers but it's totally understandable: new stuff would not do much for artists like her in streaming services anyways, let alone remix albums (with not even 100% new material). Heck even Gaga's remix album made very little or no noise at all in the charts (tell what you want about her, but she got hype for that project, many collabs on it and the original album also sold a lot so it was supposed to do even album numbers), with the only difference that M's profits will all be from the physical format at least. It's still a huge new move for her discography tbh, a greatest hits style remix collection ready to be discovered by anyone in any moment (I guess? Lol) 

On 5/28/2022 at 12:37 PM, Prayer said:

And today!

21.325.407 monthly listeners (#160 overall).

The original Sickick remix is 65,9 M now (will get to 66 M tomorrow); Fireboy DML 4,8 M; 070 Shake has just passed 4 M and the new "Frozen On Fire" version is 610.840.

"Into The Groove" -> 252.750

"Deeper And Deeper" -> 33.991 - this is BAD considering it was on Release Radar yesterday. Don't know what's happening with both tracks but Release Radar is not working for them. Or maybe people just don't care? I want this project to do well or we won't have many reissues next!

It'll be interesting because like I've bitched about before but almost all those tracks are already available on streaming so we shall see if they start cannibalizing each other. Into the Groove already has the Q-Sound remix which is pretty much just an even shorter version which is more accessible and on a go-to Madonna album. Deeper & Deeper...I mean...Erotica has low numbers period and why would the general public go to stream a lesser known single's remix if they dont remember the song or there's no incentive or hype. They should've done an HD drop of the video possibly a new one of the remix with outtakes of the OG video. All that aside, I think this is all a symptom of Madonna never wanting to look back and always looking foward so alot of hits that werent necessarily iconic are forgotten. GHV2 could've remedied that for her 90s hits a bit had it been as iconic as IC with 2 new tracks. Add to that how alot of the fans are opposed to moving with the times in terms of streaming, its not a shock. Hopefully the Frozen remixes continue to grow to help her numbers. 

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

It'll be interesting because like I've bitched about before but almost all those tracks are already available on streaming so we shall see if they start cannibalizing each other. Into the Groove already has the Q-Sound remix which is pretty much just an even shorter version which is more accessible and on a go-to Madonna album. Deeper & Deeper...I mean...Erotica has low numbers period and why would the general public go to stream a lesser known single's remix if they dont remember the song or there's no incentive or hype. They should've done an HD drop of the video possibly a new one of the remix with outtakes of the OG video. All that aside, I think this is all a symptom of Madonna never wanting to look back and always looking foward so alot of hits that werent necessarily iconic are forgotten. GHV2 could've remedied that for her 90s hits a bit had it been as iconic as IC with 2 new tracks. Add to that how alot of the fans are opposed to moving with the times in terms of streaming, its not a shock. Hopefully the Frozen remixes continue to grow to help her numbers. 

"Finally" it's complicated in terms of promotion, I guess, at least due to Spotify nature. They can only promote never released before on the platform tracks. Due to the chosen remixes, they can't promote then bigger hits like "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Vogue", "Frozen", "Music" or "Hung Up", cause all those remixes are already released on digital on their parent EPs. That will help the final numbers of the compilation when it's finally out, cause all those mixes have already quite healthy numbers, but now it's an issue cause they can't be used.

That said, I'm sure they thought "Into The Groove" would do better, it's one her biggest hits in a version not too different to the "Immaculate" version. 250.000 streams so far is not terrible, but could be way better.

Maybe we need to assume that "Finally" will probably do well on physical and not that well on streaming, since is targeted to and older, general public audience. Similar to Prince reissues and deluxe releases, I guess. He has a new "Purple Rain" live album coming this week and the streaming numbers for the advanced songs are dismal, much worse than Madonna's - and it's f****g "Purple Rain" brand.

So Madonna can have both strategies: the "Frozen" type for streaming, for songs that suddenly trend on their own and then the reissues and special editions for collectors and hardcore fans. 6.000 copies of a 180 $ box set + all the other physical formats sure are profitable enough (Finally Enough Profit!).

Anyway, Madonna's Spotify update:

21.296.256 monthly listeners (#160 overall).

The original Sickick remix is 66.259.657 now (still doing 300.000-400.000 streams a day, it's amazing); Fireboy DML is 4.842.113; 070 Shake is 4.067.006 and the new "Frozen On Fire" version is 649.983.

"Into The Groove" -> 256.857

"Deeper And Deeper" -> 46.416

7 hours ago, Prayer said:

"Finally" it's complicated in terms of promotion, I guess, at least due to Spotify nature. They can only promote never released before on the platform tracks. Due to the chosen remixes, they can't promote then bigger hits like "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Vogue", "Frozen", "Music" or "Hung Up", cause all those remixes are already released on digital on their parent EPs. That will help the final numbers of the compilation when it's finally out, cause all those mixes have already quite healthy numbers, but now it's an issue cause they can't be used.

That said, I'm sure they thought "Into The Groove" would do better, it's one her biggest hits in a version not too different to the "Immaculate" version. 250.000 streams so far is not terrible, but could be way better.

Maybe we need to assume that "Finally" will probably do well on physical and not that well on streaming, since is targeted to and older, general public audience. Similar to Prince reissues and deluxe releases, I guess. He has a new "Purple Rain" live album coming this week and the streaming numbers for the advanced songs are dismal, much worse than Madonna's - and it's f****g "Purple Rain" brand.

So Madonna can have both strategies: the "Frozen" type for streaming, for songs that suddenly trend on their own and then the reissues and special editions for collectors and hardcore fans. 6.000 copies of a 180 $ box set + all the other physical formats sure are profitable enough (Finally Enough Profit!).

Anyway, Madonna's Spotify update:

21.296.256 monthly listeners (#160 overall).

The original Sickick remix is 66.259.657 now (still doing 300.000-400.000 streams a day, it's amazing); Fireboy DML is 4.842.113; 070 Shake is 4.067.006 and the new "Frozen On Fire" version is 649.983.

"Into The Groove" -> 256.857

"Deeper And Deeper" -> 46.416

When it comes out will it hurt the already released songs? Or will they combine streams?

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

When it comes out will it hurt the already released songs? Or will they combine streams?

They combine and add to the whole release. Example, "Like A Prayer" 7'' Remix/Edit already has 92.519 streams, those will automatically be added to "Finally Enough Love" on Spotify - as the same for all the other tracks already out.

But that's why Spotify won't accept an already released track for Release Radar, cause that playlist is only for new released tracks on their platform.

16 minutes ago, Andreo said:

Hopefully they drop more promotional tracks in the next weeks, maybe the "unreleased" ones such as Impressive Instant or Living For Love. Also, about the latter, is it the remix they used for the tour? 

It's expected to be, yeah, the one she used for the promotional tour:

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Today's update:

21.284.678 monthly listeners (#161 overall).

The original Sickick remix is 66.529.688 now; Fireboy DML is 4.874.219; 070 Shake is 4.100.056 and the "Frozen On Fire" version is 680.821.

"Into The Groove" -> 260.203

"Deeper And Deeper" -> 55.359

Deeper & Deeper is going up yeah it's not Frozen remix status but it's still good

Do you know if there is a way of checking Apple Music streams?

6 minutes ago, MattyMads said:

Deeper & Deeper is going up yeah it's not Frozen remix status but it's still good

Do you know if there is a way of checking Apple Music streams?

Yep, "Deeper" is doing 10K a day now, it's not that terrible. I guess after this first week it will go down to "Into The Groove (You Can Dance Edit)" numbers: 4-5K a day.

Also, the YouTube audio version is doing quite good:

57.720 streams so far.

About Apple Music, no, sadly their numbers are not public, only for the artists themselves and/or their record companies, so no way to know!

3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Yep, "Deeper" is doing 10K a day now, it's not that terrible. I guess after this first week it will go down to "Into The Groove (You Can Dance Edit)" numbers: 4-5K a day.

Also, the YouTube audio version is doing quite good:

57.720 streams so far.

About Apple Music, no, sadly their numbers are not public, only for the artists themselves and/or their record companies, so no way to know!

That's a shame about Apple Music 

I really want this release to do well her back catalogue is incredible I just hope it's not too late, people been crying out for years for a retrospect of her career hopefully she's not missed the boat.

10 minutes ago, MattyMads said:

That's a shame about Apple Music 

I really want this release to do well her back catalogue is incredible I just hope it's not too late, people been crying out for years for a retrospect of her career hopefully she's not missed the boat.

I think it will. Let's keep in mind that the physical editions are going to handle a big part of the success or not of this project and the fact that de 6LP box is sold out is a VERY good sign. It wasn't exactly cheap. Plus there are all the other CD and vinyl editions and those will count too.

Like it or not, her public is not the youngest anymore (those are the main streamers) but, on the other hand, have the money to pay for deluxe physical editions.

But yeah, streaming success would be welcome too. I think it will come with time, she's doubled her figures on Spotify in just a year with sudden trends like "Frozen" and "Material Girl" so with a catalogue like hers it's a matter of time other tracks start trending too. Also, remember Warner is going to handle now her placements in series and movies, so that's gonna give her a big push as soon as one of her tracks is used on a big Netflix/HBO series o a big movie.

It's getting good, people! Step by step.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

I think it will. Let's keep in mind that the physical editions are going to handle a big part of the success or not of this project and the fact that de 6LP box is sold out is a VERY good sign. It wasn't exactly cheap. Plus there are all the other CD and vinyl editions and those will count too.

Like it or not, her public is not the youngest anymore (those are the main streamers) but, on the other hand, have the money to pay for deluxe physical editions.

But yeah, streaming success would be welcome too. I think it will come with time, she's doubled her figures on Spotify in just a year with sudden trends like "Frozen" and "Material Girl" so with a catalogue like hers it's a matter of time other tracks start trending too. Also, remember Warner is going to handle now her placements in series and movies, so that's gonna give her a big push as soon as one of her tracks is used on a big Netflix/HBO series o a big movie.

It's getting good, people! Step by step.

For sure her songs need to be used on tv or in movies. I believe what also boosted Material Girl awhile back was it being used in Stranger Things. Also you mentioning the physicals, so we can all assume it will have a huge crash after its initial debut? Also...so if streams are combined, will that help it stay afloat chart wise? Or does it only benefit the individual song?

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

For sure her songs need to be used on tv or in movies. I believe what also boosted Material Girl awhile back was it being used in Stranger Things. Also you mentioning the physicals, so we can all assume it will have a huge crash after its initial debut? Also...so if streams are combined, will that help it stay afloat chart wise? Or does it only benefit the individual song?

OK, sorry for the confusion about the added/combined streams. Let me explain myself a little bit better :-)

On Spotify, what's added to the release once is out are the total streams of the already released tracks. Spotify counts streams on separate songs, and if that same songs belongs to more than one album, the whole amount will reflect on all the albums that song is included.

Example: let's say Madonna releases tomorrow a 5-track EP called "Selection", with 4 greatest hits and 1 new track as track number 5 (we can dream xd). Songs 1-4 are already released and are big hits so they all have great numbers already:

Song 1: 200 M

Song 2: 150 M

Song 3: 100 M

Song 4: 100 M

Song 5: New

This means the new EP "Selection" will amount to a total of 550 M streams + the ones generated by the new song (track number 5). Plus, of course all the added streams with time that all the songs still generate in the future.

BUT BEWARE: for the chart position, only the streams from the album from the 1st week of the release will count for the position, of course - if it wasn't this way everyone will trick the charts including older big hits on new releases.

confused-math.gif

Sorry for this moment, I hate numbers actually hahaha. I'm not even a charts expert by any means.

About the 2nd week drop after the 1st week on general charts, I think that's a given for her now. It's been happening since "MDNA". Since a lot of weight for the chart position is put on the physicals, the drop on the 2nd week is always noticeable. BUT she should easily get at least Top 10 positions everywhere with "Finally Enough Love", if not better ones.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

OK, sorry for the confusion about the added/combined streams. Let me explain myself a little bit better :-)

On Spotify, what's added to the release once is out are the total streams of the already released tracks. Spotify counts streams on separate songs, and if that same songs belongs to more than one album, the whole amount will reflect on all the albums that song is included.

Example: let's say Madonna releases tomorrow a 5-track EP called "Selection", with 4 greatest hits and 1 new track as track number 5 (we can dream xd). Songs 1-4 are already released and are big hits so they all have great numbers already:

Song 1: 200 M

Song 2: 150 M

Song 3: 100 M

Song 4: 100 M

Song 5: New

This means the new EP "Selection" will amount to a total of 550 M streams + the ones generated by the new song (track number 5). Plus, of course all the added streams with time that all the songs still generate in the future.

BUT BEWARE: for the chart position, only the streams from the album from the 1st week of the release will count for the position, of course - if it wasn't this way everyone will trick the charts including older big hits on new releases.

confused-math.gif

Sorry for this moment, I hate numbers actually hahaha. I'm not even a charts expert by any means.

About the 2nd week drop after the 1st week on general charts, I think that's a given for her now. It's been happening since "MDNA". Since a lot of weight for the chart position is put on the physicals, the drop on the 2nd week is always noticeable. BUT she should easily get at least Top 10 positions everywhere with "Finally Enough Love", if not better ones.

Oh wow! Hopefully she does get a high debut! I also do not understand why she doesnt release these on a friday so they get a full week of streams! Was there ever an explanation on that?

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Oh wow! Hopefully she does get a high debut! I also do not understand why she doesnt release these on a friday so they get a full week of streams! Was there ever an explanation on that?

It's not that uncommon. While most of releases are on Friday, some artists that don't expect mainstream chart positions (like Madonna with these advanced tracks or some of the "Frozen" new remixes) release on Thursday to not get lost in all the New Music Friday madness and also to try to get attention to be playlisted.