Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

2 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

I don't understand this streaming malarkey:

Do you have to listen to the whole album for it to count as a stream? 

How long do you have to listen to a song for it to count?

What if you only play an individual song, does it count towards the album or as a single?

I always stream on Spotify and YouTube, but I have no clue how it works.

Exactly. It’s rare when I stream a whole album. That’s what vinyl is for lol. 
For the most part it’s individual tracks that come up in playlists 

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Exactly. It’s rare when I stream a whole album. That’s what vinyl is for lol. 
For the most part it’s individual tracks that come up in playlists 

I can't be dealing with vinyl, you have to keep getting up to skip the tracks you don't like and when it scratches. I prefer CD or streaming. The problem with Spotify is I like to listen to it on my TV so I can hear it through my soundbar, but Spotify has a stagnant picture and I worry that will give my OLED burn in. It's never simple these days. 

2 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

I can't be dealing with vinyl, you have to keep getting up to skip the tracks you don't like and when it scratches. I prefer CD or streaming. The problem with Spotify is I like to listen to it on my TV so I can hear it through my soundbar, but Spotify has a stagnant picture and I worry that will give my OLED burn in. It's never simple these days. 

Well that was my point. Playing an album from start to finish, no skipping.

Unless I’m at the gym or on the go I hate streaming. It’s lossy and my speakers don’t like the streaming mastering. Sounds messy

7 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

Listening to Madonna as she intended, start to finish, really can change one's perspective on a record.  American Life, for instance, is amazing, start to finish.  It is a very different experience than streaming selected songs from the album.  Oblivious, I stream individually as well as I cannot always commit to 60-80 minutes but for many of her albums, start to finish, is magical.  

1 hour ago, baymad4her said:

I don't understand this streaming malarkey:

What if you only play an individual song, does it count towards the album or as a single?

It's definitely more complicated than the old physical system where 1 copy = 1 sale. Also, there are two levels to understand streaming:

- 1st: worldwide, the most important thing now is that it is worldwide and the profit is the goal, not the charts. Of course the mega hits are going to chart anyway cause charts are supposed to reflect what's popular. Just like before, of course, but now you don't need to separate markets: the whole world is your market.

- 2nd: of course, each country has their own charts and a song can be a hit in a country but not in others. And each country has their own system of how to count streaming into their national charts (most of the time is a points system where a number of streams equals the value of a 1 sale).

No. Total streams of an album that week are added to the album and X number of streams on each country equal 1 sale. The album with more sales (physical plus equivalent from streaming) is the #1 on the country that week.

30 seconds at least. When you listen to a song for 30 sec. at least is considered 1 stream. That's why popular songs got shorter and shorter with time, the shorter your song is, more chances for having it streamed more times and make more money. Example: "Frozen" Sickick, 2:00.

Both. If you play it from an album, it will count to that album but also to the song.

It's hard! I don't even get it completely, to be honest, hahaha. Just stream (or listened to your physical media, every format is cool) and be happy ^^

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's definitely more complicated than the old physical system where 1 copy = 1 sale. Also, there are two levels to understand streaming:

- 1st: worldwide, the most important thing now is that it is worldwide and the profit is the goal, not the charts. Of course the mega hits are going to chart anyway cause charts are supposed to reflect what's popular. Just like before, of course, but now you don't need to separate markets: the whole world is your market.

- 2nd: of course, each country has their own charts and a song can be a hit in a country but not in others. And each country has their own system of how to count streaming into their national charts (most of the time is a points system where a number of streams equals the value of a 1 sale).

No. Total streams of an album that week are added to the album and X number of streams on each country equal 1 sale. The album with more sales (physical plus equivalent from streaming) is the #1 on the country that week.

30 seconds at least. When you listen to a song for 30 sec. at least is considered 1 stream. That's why popular songs got shorter and shorter with time, the shorter your song is, more chances for having it streamed more times and make more money. Example: "Frozen" Sickick, 2:00.

Both. If you play it from an album, it will count to that album but also to the song.

It's hard! I don't even get it completely, to be honest, hahaha. Just stream (or listened to your physical media, every format is cool) and be happy ^^

Will this short version and the 50 tracks version chart separately? Also when do the physical sales start counting? The day they become available or when the digital album is released?

Will this short version and the 50 tracks version chart separately? Also when do the physical sales start counting? The day they become available or when the digital album is released?

The "Finally Enough Love" version released now won't chart yet, it doesn't have a chance. Streams are count from Friday to Thursday, I think (depending on the country), but anyway she won't have enough streams to enter the charts. Legacy artists like her rely heavily on the physical sales still.

This strategy is weird and there's no way a now popular artist like, let's say Taylor, Adele, any of the biggest, would do this now, cause they generate enough streams to have a proper impact on their first week chart position, so they need the streaming + physical sales to have a great first week.

On Madonna's case, streaming is going to be a small piece of the 1st week pie anyway, so it's a good strategy having the Standard edition released a month a half previous to the general release, to try to bring some old school fans into streaming until August 19 is here. She's not losing anything - in any case she can only win in trying to get more fans into streaming and that way increase her numbers.

9 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The "Finally Enough Love" version released now won't chart yet, it doesn't have a chance. Streams are count from Friday to Thursday, I think (depending on the country), but anyway she won't have enough streams to enter the charts. Legacy artists like her rely heavily on the physical sales still.

This strategy is weird and there's no way a now popular artist like, let's say Taylor, Adele, any of the biggest, would do this now, cause they generate enough streams to have a proper impact on their first week chart position, so they need the streaming + physical sales to have a great first week.

On Madonna's case, streaming is going to be a small piece of the 1st week pie anyway, so it's a good strategy having the Standard edition released a month a half previous to the general release, to try to bring some old school fans into streaming until August 19 is here. She's not losing anything - in any case she can only win in trying to get more fans into streaming and that way increase her numbers.

But what I wanna know is if this one and the 50 track version will chart as one release or separately 

1 minute ago, thegoldencalf said:

So by August 19th it should gather a decent number of streams that will add up to the physical sales of both versions

Nope, all the streams from now until then won't count to its 1st week chart debut, only the streams from August 19th to 25th, let's say - but of course they will generate profit to Warner and that's what matters.

Just now, Prayer said:

Nope, all the streams from now until then won't count to its 1st week chart debut, only the streams from August 19th to 25th, let's say - but of course they will generate profit to Warner and that's what matters.

Oh damn. Then why didn’t they release everything at the same time? From the information you provided and the minimal promotion these profits seem marginal at best

Oh damn. Then why didn’t they release everything at the same time? From the information you provided and the minimal promotion these profits seem marginal at best

Money is money in the end. They probably will lose a little help into the 1st week positions but gain old school fans streaming a Madonna album mainly for the 1st time (cause they don't have another option yet!).

It's risky but I think it will pay off.

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

If I read things like "It’s lossy and my speakers don’t like the streaming mastering. Sounds messy" we could say goodbye forever to the relevance of Madonna on the charts. 

14 minutes ago, milingo83 said:

If I read things like "It’s lossy and my speakers don’t like the streaming mastering. Sounds messy" we could say goodbye forever to the relevance of Madonna on the charts. 

That's not the problem and you know it. The problem is the young people (and no fans) not playing Madonna on streaming because they don't like (or don't know) her music, not the fans playing physical discs (vinyl or CDs).  

22 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

That's not the problem and you know it. The problem is the young people (and no fans) not playing Madonna on streaming because they don't like (or don't know) her music, not the fans playing physical discs (vinyl or CDs).  

Probably you right but fans that love Madonna vinyl and found the digital audio "messy" of course don't help the cause. 

Anyone should listen to their artists in the way they like best. But it's true streaming is very important now and Madonna (as many other older artists with older fan bases) faces this problem. But she also enjoys the larger profits that the physical sales give to legacy artists, so it's not all bad. The main issue here is the lack of a new generation streaming her (except for the "Frozen" Sickick remix or trend things like "Material Girl"). But Warner is working on that and her numbers are increasing a lot since last year.

"Finally Enough Love" update from today:

spot.png.73e755dcc1ad4952c9dae10452ed179b.png

Healthy. Most of the tracks could have at least 100.000 streams at the end of its 1st week, that's good.

9 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

That would be amazing if that was true, but I’m not too sure.
It may be worth asking someone at ukmix or official charts company, there’s bound to be someone in the know there. 

OK I was wrong (or the rules were changed). This is the latest UK charts rule I found (from July 2017):

https://www.officialcharts.com/media/653052/official-uk-charts-album-chart-rules-july-2017.pdf

Multiple format albums or Box Sets featuring different formats of the same album (including physical formats packaged with a code or alternative mechanic offering a digital copy of album) are eligible to be combined with standard version of the same album. Multi format albums or Box Sets constitute a single transaction.

I guess in this case the 3 CD Box Set equals 1 sale.

I guess it depends on the country? I remember clearly the "Celebration" Deluxe edition (or the "Evita" full soundtrack) counted as 2 sales in the US, being a double CD.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

OK I was wrong (or the rules were changed). This is the latest UK charts rule I found (from July 2017):

https://www.officialcharts.com/media/653052/official-uk-charts-album-chart-rules-july-2017.pdf

Multiple format albums or Box Sets featuring different formats of the same album (including physical formats packaged with a code or alternative mechanic offering a digital copy of album) are eligible to be combined with standard version of the same album. Multi format albums or Box Sets constitute a single transaction.

I guess in this case the 3 CD Box Set equals 1 sale.

I guess it depends on the country? I remember clearly the "Celebration" Deluxe edition (or the "Evita" full soundtrack) counted as 2 sales in the US, being a double CD.

That makes more sense to me since you don’t have the option of getting one CD out of the three.