Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Mmhmm I don't know about that. It happens all the time - covers, I mean. She had the story of "I was living in Portugal and hearing this song all the time and I loved it" it's not like suddenly she was covering a huge Korean hit just for the sake of it. xd Plus the original writers would have been happy to make even more money from it, I guess?

She seemed to be pushing Anitta for some time on Instagram to join her in New York to shoot a video for it but she was on tour or something and it didn't happen in the end.

From a marketing point of view, not having the original performer on the song is problematic. Of course covers happen all the time, but singles are to promote an album, not someone else's work, especially given the fact that M's version is so close to the original. That's impossible to sell, the critics would have killed her.

21 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

I've said it a million times also. Faz Gostoso is a cover from a HUGE hit in Brazil, and it features Anitta, who is a HUGE star. Not as hip as Rosalia, but she sells a lot more. So the track comes up on many playlists and algorithm suggestions.

Nah... first of all Faz Gostoso is not a cover, it is a version (different structure and new english lyrics), secondly IT IS NOT a huge hit here in Brazil. It was a Hit in Portugal, though, with the original artist, Blaya. Anitta was awere of the song and sang it in on one of her shows prior to working with Madonna.

Anitta, like Maluma, was probably chosen because of her streaming numbers on Latin America. Other than her roots in Baile Funk, the genre of the song. 

1 minute ago, diegolcl said:

Nah... first of all Faz Gostoso is not a cover, it is a version (different structure and new english lyrics), secondly IT IS NOT a huge hit here in Brazil. It was a Hit in Portugal, though, with the original artist, Blaya. Anitta was awere of the song and sang it in on one of her shows prior to working with Madonna.

Anitta, like Maluma, was probably chosen because of her streaming numbers on Latin America. Other than her roots in Baile Funk, the genre of the song. 

OK my bad, not Brazil but Portugal. Anyway, the success of M's Faz Gostoso relies on Blaya's single. 

I don't think the song is that different : the production is exactly the same. M and Annitta brought a pop shine to it.

5 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

From a marketing point of view, not having the original performer on the song is problematic. Of course covers happen all the time, but singles are to promote an album, not someone else's work, especially given the fact that M's version is so close to the original. That's impossible to sell, the critics would have killed her.

I understand your point but I don't remember any negative feedback at all about the song on Portuguese and Brazilian media and/or from fans when the album was released, correct me if I'm wrong. Not even on woke Twitter and that's something.

Brazil seemed to go crazy for it, actually.

Just now, Prayer said:

I understand your point but I don't remember any negative feedback at all about the song on Portuguese and Brazilian media and/or fans when the album was released, correct me if I'm wrong. Not even on woke Twitter and that's something.

Brazil seemed to go crazy for it, actually.

MMMh are you sure? I recall some critics wondering why the song was on Madame X because it made the album more messy and geographically challenging than it should be. 

50 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I don't remember any of that, link us some reviews if you find them please. :cute:

I'm not saying that's what I think, at all, but not every critic was satisfied with this very broad approach of the latin world and culture.

Here are a few examples:

The garish favela funk of “Faz Gostoso” and the racy reggaeton of “Bitch I’m Loca”—featuring Anitta and Maluma, respectively—feel out of place amid the album’s otherwise refined sonic palette. 

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review-madonna-madame-x-is-a-fearless-eccentric-musical-memoir/

Madonna gave herself over to the carnival soundspace that the Brazilian star inhabits so well – so much so that Madonna almost sounds like the featured artist here.

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/culture/we-ranked-every-song-on-madonnas-new-album-madame-x/

Avec probablement l'idée de toucher l'immense public latino, mais le résultat est mitigé (...) l'album multiplie les directions sans frapper fort

> aiming at a latin audience, the outcome is mixed (...) the albums goes in many directions but fails to make an impact.

https://www.lindependant.fr/2019/06/14/avec-madame-x-madonna-fait-un-retour-en-fado-mineur,8256521.php

Comme dans tous les albums construits comme la narration documentaire d’eux-mêmes, parfois cela rate totalement. Les titres latinos (...) sont souvent décevants par leur fabrique forcenée et manquée d’un tube

> like every album relying on its own documentary narrative, it fails hard sometimes. The latin tracks disappoint because they feel forced in wanting too much to be hits

https://diacritik.com/2019/06/19/le-degre-madonna-de-la-culture-madame-x/

Ses influences sont au moins aussi décousues. Le juke-box mondial de Madame X met la plupart de ses pièces dans les musiques latines

> Her influences are at least as disjointed. The global juke-box of MX drops most of its coins on latin music

https://www.liberation.fr/musique/2019/06/16/madonna-effets-de-causes_1734142/

And now I'm done with this matter, because we're going off thread !!! 🇧🇷 💚💛💙🤍

15 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

I'm not saying that's what I think, at all, but not every critic was satisfied with this very broad approach of the latin world and culture.

Here are a few examples:

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review-madonna-madame-x-is-a-fearless-eccentric-musical-memoir/

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/culture/we-ranked-every-song-on-madonnas-new-album-madame-x/

> aiming at a latin audience, the outcome is mixed (...) the albums goes in many directions but fails to make an impact.

https://www.lindependant.fr/2019/06/14/avec-madame-x-madonna-fait-un-retour-en-fado-mineur,8256521.php

> like every album relying on its own documentary narrative, it fails hard sometimes. The latin tracks disappoint because they feel forced in wanting too much to be hits

https://diacritik.com/2019/06/19/le-degre-madonna-de-la-culture-madame-x/

> Her influences are at least as disjointed. The global juke-box of MX drops most of its coins on latin music

https://www.liberation.fr/musique/2019/06/16/madonna-effets-de-causes_1734142/

And now I'm done with this matter, because we're going off thread !!! 🇧🇷 💚💛💙🤍

Thanks for all the links!

3 hours ago, milingo83 said:

13/01 21.549.799 ( + 77.764)

WW #223 (+1)

+ Songs stats:

- "Back That Up To Beat":

Demo Version: up to 2.475.732 streams

Sped Up: 1.279.572

- New big peaks:

"Material Girl" ("Celebration" Version): 310M

"4 Minutes" ("Celebration" Version): 207M

"Like A Virgin" ("Immaculate"/"Celebration" Version): 45M

"Love Don't Live Here Anymore" ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 3M

- "Madame X" International Deluxe Bonus Tracks debut:

"Funana": 6.404

"Back That Up To The Beat": 8.618

"Ciao Bella": 9.823

Clear winner here. Since it was added as a 2019 release and not a "new" one, no tracks appeared on Release Radar. Mistake but I guess you can't ask for more on Interscope's part. :Madonna009: At least we finally got them on streaming.

16 hours ago, milingo83 said:

14/01 21,639,768 (+89,969)

WW #219 (+4) 🔥 

Plus song stats:

"Back That Up To The Beat" (Sped Up Version) enters her Top 10 at #10:

madonnatop10.png.2226140b8c8dee9b494f92bb7bdb1049.png

- New big peaks:

"Hung Up": 294M

"Holiday" ("Madonna" Digital Reissue Edit Version): 79M

- "Madame X" International Deluxe Bonus Tracks:

"Funana": 9.982

"Back That Up To The Beat": 13.589

"Ciao Bella": 15.835

- Updated All Time Top 40 (Official, not merged):

01. Material Girl ("Celebration" Version): 310M

02. Hung Up: 294M

03. La Isla Bonita: 254M

04. Like A Prayer ("Celebration" Version): 252M

05. Like A Virgin ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 207M

06. 4 Minutes ("Celebration" Version): 207M

07. Vogue ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 177M

08. Frozen (Sickick Remix): 113M

09. Papa Don't Preach: 97M

10. Crazy For You: 95M

11. Into The Groove: 91M

12. Bitch I'm Madonna: 86M

13. Like A Prayer ("Like A Prayer" Album Version): 82M

14. Holiday ("Madonna" Digital Reissue Edit Version): 79M

15. Holiday ("Celebration"/Original Album Version): 68M

16. Medellín: 66M

17. Music: 63M

18. Frozen ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 62M

19. Sorry ("Confessions" Album Version): 45M

20. Like A Virgin ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 45M

21 American Pie: 44M

22. Material Girl ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 44M

23. Take A Bow: 44M

24. Girl Gone Wild: 43M

25. Live To Tell: 42M

26. Faz Gostoso: 42M

27. Ray Of Light ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 40M

28. Give It 2 Me: 37M

29. 4 Minutes ("Hard Candy" Album Version): 37M

30. True Blue: 36M

31. The Power Of Good-Bye: 36M

32. Ghosttown: 34M

33. Die Another Day: 34M

34. Express Yourself ("Celebration" Version): 34M

35. Living For Love: 34M

36. Give Me All Your Luvin': 32M

37. Jump: 31M

38. Frozen ("Celebration" Extended Version): 31M

39. Celebration: 31M

40. Borderline ("Celebration" Version): 31M

1 hour ago, milingo83 said:

15/01 21,758,988 (+119,22...) 🔥 

WW #215 (+4)

And song stats!

- "Back That Up To The Beat":

Demo Version: 2.888.775 streams -> should hit 3M tomorrow!

Sped Up: 1.462.088

- New big peaks:

"Don't Tell Me": 24M

"Hanky Panky": 3M

"La Isla Bonita" ("The Immaculate Collection" Version): 6M

"Funana": 12.429

"Back That Up To The Beat": 17.073

"Ciao Bella": 20.026

4 hours ago, milingo83 said:

16/01 21,841,030 (+82,042) 

WW #213 (+2)

She also updated her profile picture and header picture with the one Live Nation is using on the new tour ticket pages:

madonnaspo.png.9c8d213e8c4eb70faf7774fab31088c6.png

Song stats today:

Demo Version: 3.107.080 streams -> +3M now!

Sped Up: 1.555.285

- New big peaks:

"Like A Virgin" ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 208M

"True Blue": 37M

"Who's That Girl": 26M

"Frozen" Sickick Feat. 070 Shake: 10M

"Human Nature" (Album Version): 8M

"Funana": 14.547

"Back That Up To The Beat": 20.180

"Ciao Bella": 23.423

5 minutes ago, androiduser said:

do we think the tour announcement will be reflected on Spotify?

Probably a little bit, since the usual thing fans do is listening to more Madonna when there's something new or coming. Also, I guess some part of the general public will do that too if they get tickets and are going to the shows - go back to her and the greatest hits.

We'll see in the next few days. She's in a good position now again, thanks to "Back That Up To The Beat": about to hit 22M monthly listeners again, which is so far her peak on the platform. It would be great if she can reach 23M or any other new peak.

25 minutes ago, milingo83 said:

18/01 - 21,998,453 (+85,476)

WW #210 (=)

22M monthly listeners around the corner again! Tomorrow for sure.

More from today's update:

Demo Version: 3.584.997 streams

Sped Up: 1.749.132

- New big peaks:

"Material Girl" ("Celebration" Version): 311M

"Frozen" Sickick: 114M

"Ghosttown": 35M

"Dress You Up" ("Celebration" Version): 16M

"What It Feels Like For A Girl": 9M

- "Finally Enough Love":

"What It Feels Like For A Girl" remix is now +700.000 streams