Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

9 hours ago, Prayer said:

Yes, but it's complicated from a "merging" point of view: that edit it's the most streamed version of "Holiday" on Spotify (84M). The original full 6-minute album version, included on "Celebration" is next, with 70M. Then we have "The Immaculate Collection" version with nearly 9M.

In order to merge the "Madonna" and "Celebration" versions they'd need to put the same version on both, just like they did when they fixed and merged "Papa Don't Preach" on "True Blue". Originally the album version was on "Celebration" and the Extended version on "True Blue". They put the original album version on "True Blue" too and merged the streams of both versions.

They could do that with "Holiday", just replacing the "Madonna" version with the album version and merge it with the streams of the "Celebration" version. BUT maybe they doubt if just leaving the longer version could hurt streams. The shorter, the better for playlisting and all that.

So I don't know what they'll end up doing...

Yeah I think if they just link it with the 'Celebration' track in the back end it'll solve it. The remix edit from The Immaculate Collection will still get streams

So time again to update her all time Spotify Top 40.

- Updated All Time Top 40 (Official, not merged):

01. Material Girl ("Celebration" Version): 328M

02. Hung Up: 313M

03. La Isla Bonita: 273M

04. Like A Prayer ("Celebration" Version): 265M

05. 4 Minutes ("Celebration" Version): 222M

06. Like A Virgin ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 218M

07. Vogue ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 184M

08. Frozen (Sickick Remix): 125M

09. Papa Don't Preach: 103M

10. Crazy For You: 101M

11. Into The Groove: 96M

12. Bitch I'm Madonna: 88M

13. Like A Prayer ("Like A Prayer" Album Version): 86M

14. Holiday ("Madonna" Digital Album Edit Version): 84M

15. Holiday ("Celebration"/Original Album Version): 70M

16. Medellín: 67M

17. Frozen ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 66M

18. Music: 65M

19. Levitating (Dua Lipa Remix): 52M

20. Sorry ("Confessions" Album Version): 48M

21. American Pie: 46M

22. Take A Bow: 46M

23. Like A Virgin ("Celebration"/"Immaculate" Version): 46M

24. Material Girl ("Like A Virgin" Album Version): 46M

25. Girl Gone Wild: 44M

26. Live To Tell: 44M

27. Faz Gostoso: 42M

28. Ray Of Light ("Ray Of Light" Album Version): 42M

29. 4 Minutes ("Hard Candy" Album Version): 39M

30. Give It 2 Me: 39M

31. True Blue: 39M

32. The Power Of Good-Bye: 38M

33. Express Yourself ("Celebration" Version): 36M

34. Die Another Day: 36M

35. Ghosttown: 35M

36. Living For Love: 34M

37. Jump: 33M

38. Give Me All Your Luvin': 33M

39. Borderline ("Celebration" Version): 32M

40. Celebration: 32M

26 minutes ago, Prayer said:

14. Holiday ("Madonna" Digital Album Edit Version): 84M

First off, thanks for posting these updates on her streaming on Spotify. I find it fascinating.   But what is this version doing on the Debut album?  I don't understand why they put these random edits in place of the original?  So is this an edit version of the Immaculate Collection version?  Was this recently changed or has this been like this for some time?

10 hours ago, tscott said:

First off, thanks for posting these updates on her streaming on Spotify. I find it fascinating.   But what is this version doing on the Debut album?  I don't understand why they put these random edits in place of the original?  So is this an edit version of the Immaculate Collection version?  Was this recently changed or has this been like this for some time?

Exactly, it's an edit of "The Immaculate Collection" version, originally from a random Warner compilation around 1999-2000, I think.

It's always been there on the digital "Madonna" album, as far as I remember. The original 6-minute album version was only on "Celebration". Why? No idea. "Borderline" was also the Extended mix until the fixed it recently.

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

Exactly, it's an edit of "The Immaculate Collection" version, originally from a random Warner compilation around 1999-2000, I think.

It's always been there on the digital "Madonna" album, as far as I remember. The original 6-minute album version was only on "Celebration". Why? No idea. "Borderline" was also the Extended mix until the fixed it recently.

Yeah, I just wish they would present the albums in its original state on digital and streaming platforms.  I don't mind the updated versions, but put them where they belong.  But then again, I guess no one but us hard core fans notice these things or even care.  LOL!

On 4/8/2023 at 8:51 AM, tscott said:

Sadly been like this for some time. Hoping someone sees this and fixes it soon enough

1 hour ago, BoyToyMark said:

Hoping someone sees this and fixes it soon enough

They are aware of it for sure, they have already fixed Papa don't preach and Borderline. They seem to only care enough to fix if they are intending to sell that edit separately in a remix package. So they changed Borderline when they decided to release the Borderline EP and they changed Papa don't preach when they included the extended edit of it in the True blue anniversary album. So hopefully there will be a digital anniversary album of the debut album in July or they will upload the Holiday EP and fix it. 

As far as I'm aware, this is the only track that's left that's the wrong version on a studio album?

1 hour ago, Fabiolous said:

They are aware of it for sure, they have already fixed Papa don't preach and Borderline. They seem to only care enough to fix if they are intending to sell that edit separately in a remix package. So they changed Borderline when they decided to release the Borderline EP and they changed Papa don't preach when they included the extended edit of it in the True blue anniversary album. So hopefully there will be a digital anniversary album of the debut album in July or they will upload the Holiday EP and fix it. 

As far as I'm aware, this is the only track that's left that's the wrong version on a studio album?

Yes, "Holiday" is the only one left to fix in that respect (wrong versions on albums). I'd like to think they'll do it with "Madonna 40" or a "Holiday" digital single, as you said, eventually.

They also need to merge some songs like "Material Girl" on "Celebration", "Like A Virgin" and "Finally Enough Love" and "Like A Prayer" on "Celebration" and the "Like A Prayer" album.

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

They also need to merge some songs like "Material Girl" on "Celebration", "Like A Virgin" and "Finally Enough Love" and "Like A Prayer" on "Celebration" and the "Like A Prayer" album.

It pisses me off that Like A Prayer is not merged 😡 It should be the most streamed song from the 80s…

Her digital presence has been neglected for too long, and all these different versions/edits of the same songs aren’t helping either… 

21 minutes ago, f78k said:

It pisses me off that Like A Prayer is not merged 😡 It should be the most streamed song from the 80s…

Her digital presence has been neglected for too long, and all these different versions/edits of the same songs aren’t helping either… 

It is criminal how low her 90’s streams are. And taking into consideration how huge Vogue was, that seems like a low number 

55 minutes ago, f78k said:

Like A Prayer should absolutely be merged, I agree. But you're forgetting that Material Girl is also not merged with the same version on the Like A Virgin and Finally Enough Love albums, where it has an extra 47 million streams waiting for collection.

31 minutes ago, TOpher said:

It is criminal how low her 90’s streams are. And taking into consideration how huge Vogue was, that seems like a low number 

Vogue is criminally under played, but I think part of the problem is that they're pushing the Immaculate version as the main version. If they pushed the single version, I think it would appeal more to streamers and playlist editors. The long intro does it no favours in the streaming world.

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Yes, "Holiday" is the only one left to fix in that respect (wrong versions on albums). I'd like to think they'll do it with "Madonna 40" or a "Holiday" digital single, as you said, eventually.

I really think they need to remove the streaming-only, very unnecessary edit of Holiday currently on the debut album and somehow merge it with the Immaculate version and all of its extra 14 seconds. Immaculate Holiday deserves to have a tally of 95 million. It's the danciest version of the song. I'd be happy for them to use the original 7" version on hits collections from here on as I think it is the best representation of the song and the era.

24 minutes ago, Bjonkers said:

I really think they need to remove the streaming-only, very unnecessary edit of Holiday currently on the debut album and somehow merge it with the Immaculate version and all of its extra 14 seconds. Immaculate Holiday deserves to have a tally of 95 million. It's the danciest version of the song. I'd be happy for them to use the original 7" version on hits collections from here on as I think it is the best representation of the song and the era.

Makes sense merging it with "The Immaculate Collection" version but they would essentially still have the same problem: a 94M "Holiday" edit and a 70M "Album Version" on "Celebration". Another option would be just leaving the Album Version and merging both (just like they did with "Papa Don't Preach") but that potentially can risk streams, since it's the edit the one performing better.

It's tricky.