Why is the girlie show not as remembered as blond ambition?

mysweetaudrina

I think for that you have to remember what was going on around that time. 1990 she was riding that wave and everyone with her...... 1993 she was fighting against the tide that was trying to wash her back out to sea and the majority of the press and public were against her. 

5 hours ago, mysweetaudrina said:

Blond Ambition is of course flawless but she was even more famous in 93 than she was in 1990, why is almost everything from Erotica era completely forgotten??

it was pioneering revolutionary it changed how we see the world also you are seeing her at her highest stamina that rusky almost contralto voice that for an unknown reason just disappeared - all of that prepared the fans and the world to what erotica would be and its respective tour.  to know is a thing to have lived is another - I can say that I have lived that maybe her richest highest point maybe despite I live in a far away Brazil - Madonna was news 365 days of the year 24/7 so ...

yes those were amazing times to be alive and there just paying attention to each detail 

Loop Wtf GIF 

Blond Ambition is of course flawless but she was even more famous in 93 than she was in 1990, why is almost everything from Erotica era completely forgotten??

Because in 1990-1991 she was loved . In 1993 she was hated (sex book). And she wasn't more famous in 1993.

The Girlie Show was incredible. She was dancing better and singing better. In retrospect, it was her strongest tour considering that but who knows if would have toured with BS or ROL. Vincent Paterson said that Madonna really came into herself with BA, but GS she had everything to lose. She danced and sang for her life. 

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's also quintessential Madonna, more raw, personal and funny, while the general public prefer the mainstream larger than life Madonna. And "BAT" was the first of its kind.

She never sounded better live. Her voice, the mixing and the live instruments on the "Girlie Show" are chef kiss!

1993-the-girlie-show-erotica-1.jpg

The way she put on that show with a "flop" album and the whole world against her... what an inspiration, an artist believing in her own project and vision. 

HAHA, We were basically typing the same thing at the sametime. Great minds!!!

Good point.

I think, as others have said, in 1990 Madonna was really at the zenith of her career. Around the 1993 period or so, the public was just sick of her antics, what with the Erotica album, the Sex Book, and all that jazz. It seems the public took a big sigh and said, "Not this again." She was so desperate for attention that the only kind she invited upon herself was negativity.

But I do agree with what you're saying. As much as I like Blond Ambition, The Girlie Show (and everything Erotica-related) has been a  hugely underrated era of her career. The Girlie Show is a great show - it's one of my personal favorites of hers. She seemed to actually enjoy doing the show in Australia (a feeling I don't always get while watching her concerts). With Blond Ambition (I watched the Nice performance) she yaps too much. Just get to the frickin' songs, Madonna, and stop yakking about Warren Beatty and Roseanne Barr.

3 hours ago, o_g_c_x said:

1990 was the peak of her career

Agree! + the release of Truth or Dare made the rest. Lets not forget the massive impact  that movie had to the Gay comunity!  (and also maybe to Evian - althou its not  an Evian bottle she performed false fellatio :smile: However - thats why 1990, Vogue, Blond Ambition remains so Iconic and important. 

I think there were also more great hits in the Blond Ambition than in the Girlie show :
BAT : Express yourself, Open your heart, Like a virgin, Like a prayer, Papa don't preach, Material girl, Into the groove, Vogue, Holiday

Girlie show : Vogue, Express yourself, Like a virgin, La isla bonita, Vogue, Holiday

The BAT was also a huge good surprise because her previous tour Who's that girl Tour was not so elaborate and this feeling is still in memories

In 1990 she was famous. In 1993, she was much rather infamous. With the explicit sex stamp, she was simply no longer accessible family entertainment. On the one hand, this gave her the freedom to not have to give so much consideration artistically, but on the other hand, it severely limited her audience reach.

Certainly, the Girlie Show was more demanding than the previous shows, but with high artistic standards, you also lose all the people who tend to attach less importance to that: Many concertgoers don't want a sophisticated theatrical performance, but rather light escapism.

I think a combination that the press had only put out negative coverage of her in the year leading up to the tour that did influence the general public's view of her. I think the Blond Ambition tour was so good/perfect it was near impossible to put on a better show and almost unfair to compare it plus she said the next tour had to be different and could not be a repeat of Blond Ambition.  Also the set list was not as a strong as Blond Ambition in terms of hits/songs people know - still amazed she did not include Bad Girl and Rescue me but included  songs like In The Life, I'm Going Bananas, The Beast Within and Like A Virgin  in a way people could barely recognise in a stadium tour - so it had it's moments where it dragged compared to Blond Ambition's set list. Also wonder if her very short haircut put people off a bit as not the most popular look she has done. It's a great show though and the best live band she ever had on a tour

39 minutes ago, Semtex1 said:

Sell out shows at Wembley and an added night.. even after the year of bad British press that again had said she's gone too far.

"that was worth a year of being beaten up. I'll get beat up for another year for this. Its ok..i just need a vacation". 

I remember that and being there  - after she sang La Isla Bonita to great audience reaction she looked so genuinely happy and relieved at the response from the audience to the show at that point where she talks to the audience a bit. She must have been so nervous performing for the first time and to such a big audience since all of the relentless negativity in the press saying how her awful erotica was and her career was over and no one was interested any more etc 

9 hours ago, Prayer said:

It's also quintessential Madonna, more raw, personal and funny, while the general public prefer the mainstream larger than life Madonna. And "BAT" was the first of its kind.

She never sounded better live. Her voice, the mixing and the live instruments on the "Girlie Show" are chef kiss!

1993-the-girlie-show-erotica-1.jpg

The way she put on that show with a "flop" album and the whole world against her... what an inspiration, an artist believing in her own project and vision. 

she didn't believe in her own project, if she had she wouldn't have given a fuck about criticism, and the truth is that she was almost destroyed.

2 hours ago, Semtex1 said:

Sell out shows at Wembley and an added night.. even after the year of bad British press that again had said she's gone too far.

"that was worth a year of being beaten up. I'll get beat up for another year for this. Its ok..i just need a vacation". 

"beat up" lol, she's so pathetic.

1 hour ago, MDNA22 said:

I think a combination that the press had only put out negative coverage of her in the year leading up to the tour that did influence the general public's view of her. I think the Blond Ambition tour was so good/perfect it was near impossible to put on a better show and almost unfair to compare it plus she said the next tour had to be different and could not be a repeat of Blond Ambition.  Also the set list was not as a strong as Blond Ambition in terms of hits/songs people know - still amazed she did not include Bad Girl and Rescue me but included  songs like In The Life, I'm Going Bananas, The Beast Within and Like A Virgin  in a way people could barely recognise in a stadium tour - so it had it's moments where it dragged compared to Blond Ambition's set list. Also wonder if her very short haircut put people off a bit as not the most popular look she has done. It's a great show though and the best live band she ever had on a tour

She needed to plat Live To Tell instead of In This Life, and maybe True Blue instead of LAV.

4 hours ago, Niagara31 said:

I think there were also more great hits in the Blond Ambition than in the Girlie show :
BAT : Express yourself, Open your heart, Like a virgin, Like a prayer, Papa don't preach, Material girl, Into the groove, Vogue, Holiday

Girlie show : Vogue, Express yourself, Like a virgin, La isla bonita, Vogue, Holiday

The BAT was also a huge good surprise because her previous tour Who's that girl Tour was not so elaborate and this feeling is still in memories

The BAT setlist is unreal. They are such monumental historic hits it's hard to believe they were new songs at the time. 

The Girlie Show needed more. Her Erotica dance needed to be sexier, a lot of it needed to be sexier. Only Fever is pitch perfect, it's on par with BAT Express Yourself or Like A Prayer for me and yet it is totally forgotten.

i whas really dissepointed with th girlie show , her short haistyle , more naked and not sexy costumes,, the stupid clown , some versions where boring like a virgen , bad tracklist and not manny powerfull hits. She already had flops on her hands,  the album, not really hitsongs bad talk of the album , sex book , body of evidence ...