Why is the girlie show not as remembered as blond ambition?

mysweetaudrina

Blond Ambition was the first major tour by a female star of that scale, it set the standard for tours in general, the costumes were much more memorable (The Girlie Show had great costumes, but they were either simpler - bras and shorts, or very referential to previous fashion trends - disco, My Fair Lady etc), and Madonna was at the peak of her career in 1990.

Blond Ambition had a bigger bang and a bigger impact on pop culture than The Girlie Show.

What exactly is she saying in this video?

I can guess that she said that she needs another backup signal instead of a stomping step sound before she moves. But I want to know exactly what she says in detail.

Anyone who can translate English for people who don't speak English?

Edited by MadameX (see edit history)

On 3/27/2022 at 9:06 AM, steady75 said:

She proved she was going nowhere and was still worth keeping an eye on. 

Exactly. The Girlie Show and the Erotica album were the best things she did around 1992-1993. And it was just because they were music-related projects. Let's be honest: she didn't need to star in the stupid movies. The tour reminded the audience why she even got popular in the first place, and it also proved that she could sell out venues around the world with a setlist made of, mainly, newly released material. This is the same formula she's repeated in subsequent tours.

The tour marked the 10th anniversary of the release of her first album so it's unquestionable she wanted to close with Everybody.

And I don't think she was the only one being beaten up by the press at that point. Michael Jackson got so much shit as well that he never seemed to be fully recovered. It's never easy to sustain a successful career for so long, especially in a business ruled by the latest trends and most notoriously youth.

Remember how she gives that look at the audience while walking out at the very end of Justify My Love. It still gives me goosebumps. 

1 hour ago, drunkby6 said:

I love most of the songs on the Erotica album, but I didn't find they translated into a show that well. The opening act of Erotica, Fever and Vogue are cool but the rest I can happily skip. 

I think the Bye Bye Baby performance is cool too, and Deeper and Deeper. But I sort of agree in that I tend to skip the orgy section in the middle with Why's It So Hard and In This Life

Edited by ludowillo
Typo (see edit history)

1. The controversy - LAV especially, also the church wanting to ban the show in Italy

2. Nothing as grandious and theatrical had really been staged before. The closest was Bowie's previous tour. People were blown away by the staging. The New York Times did a whole article about the staging of the show

3. M was at the peak of her career - LAP was a massive hit, Dick Tracy was super hyped, everyone was obsessed with her

4. Truth or Dare - this doco immortalised the show and brought it to people who had never seen her live before and kept the momentum of the tour going well into 1991

5. Girlie Show is much more subdued and sombre

6. She barely toured the US and didn't do nearly as many shows overall. She also barely toured Europe/UK either 

7. She was coming off the failure of Erotica and BOE. I feel like 1993 was a big year for a lot of other artists. Mariah and Janet and Whitney were all scoring big and I feel M got lost in the shuffle

8. I do remember people complaining about the setlist. Not enough older songs. When your tour highlights an album that didn't sell well, people aren't going to remember it as well. BAT scored well because LAP was a massive hit and the singles were too

9. MTV covered this tour to death. They barely touched Girlie Show. I am sure more people saw coverage of BAT by accident and probably had no idea M even toured in 1993

1 hour ago, ludowillo said:

I think the Bye Bye Baby performance is cool too, and Deeper and Deeper. But I sort of agree in that I tend to skip the orgy section in the middle with Why's It So Hard and In This Life

Really? The Disco section that morphs into the AIDS era is perfection. We go from the hedonism of the 70's which results in the orgy then into the early 80's Regan conservative era (Why's It So Hard) and AIDS hysteria that ends with the sombre In This Life. It is on par with the LAV - PDP church sequence from BAT for me. 

It really captures what many people say was the tone that transitioned the 70's into the 80's. 

10 hours ago, me1981 said:

Really? The Disco section that morphs into the AIDS era is perfection. We go from the hedonism of the 70's which results in the orgy then into the early 80's Regan conservative era (Why's It So Hard) and AIDS hysteria that ends with the sombre In This Life. It is on par with the LAV - PDP church sequence from BAT for me. 

It really captures what many people say was the tone that transitioned the 70's into the 80's. 

I agree the concept is amazing, and even the execution! Don't get me wrong, if I sat down to watch the full show then I wouldn't skip just that part. I guess what I mean is when I pick out single performances from the show (e.g. to listen to in the shower haha) I never pick either of those two songs.

Didn't express myself well (so I'm going to repress myself...)

31 minutes ago, ludowillo said:

I agree the concept is amazing, and even the execution! Don't get me wrong, if I sat down to watch the full show then I wouldn't skip just that part. I guess what I mean is when I pick out single performances from the show (e.g. to listen to in the shower haha) I never pick either of those two songs.

Didn't express myself well (so I'm going to repress myself...)

Ah, okay I get ya. Yeah I can understand that

On 3/30/2022 at 1:06 AM, me1981 said:

omg, I never though of it this way, this makes perfect sense, now it makes the whole sequence even more meaningful